FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    I guess I was not clear. The transmission would be digital over the FM signal. The “smart” receiver would take regular FM 88-108 MHz plus the new service in digital.
    People are not buying radios to receive commercial radio. They are buying smartphones. Trendsetters are using streams and on-demand services to get their music and entertainment, and are increasingly abandoning over the air.

Significant in this respect is the fact that zero percent of cars will have this system if approved. It would take 10 years to get up to just half of all cars with factory installs.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    It would take 10 years to get up to just half of all cars with factory installs.
    Assuming the auto industry approves.

Any expanded band, enhanced AM radios, etc, etc is 25 years too late. No one is going to carry their phone and a Walkman-type device. Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

People are not buying radios to receive commercial radio. They are buying smartphones. Trendsetters are using streams and on-demand services to get their music and entertainment, and are increasingly abandoning over the air.
    That's why I don't understand how people like Jeff Smulyan are still trying to shove "the FM chip" and "Next Radio" down everyone's throats. Especially, when they spent millions of dollars to retrofit their stations with HD Radio ten years ago, which isn't compatible with Next Radio or the FM chip.

Quote Originally Posted by EricStein View Post
    That's why I don't understand how people like Jeff Smulyan are still trying to shove "the FM chip" and "Next Radio" down everyone's throats. Especially, when they spent millions of dollars to retrofit their stations with HD Radio ten years ago, which isn't compatible with Next Radio or the FM chip.
    The HD radio example is what would probably happen with FM expansion. After 15 years, you'd have maybe a million or so radios sold. Not a good percentage of the population.

Next Radio is a very different issue. The goal is simply to activate the FM chips that are already installed in devices that people already own. He's not trying to "shove" anything. These chips are already there, and they're active in some other countries.

Even if the FCC expanded the band for FM (which I would be in favor of) there would still be the problem of few radios to receive the signals for like the next 20 years.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314