• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz

54 millihertz? Wow, that's near DC! Anyway, 76 MHz is the lowest you could go because of the 72-76 band which is filled with remote control, fire alarm boxes & I think aeronautical navigation. That would be the hardest thing to get rid of.

And paging services. I think there might still be some of that operating there.

"Well, just start it at 54MHz, leave a space between 72 and 76, then continue at 76."

That's sort of like what they did with CB radio, with the gap between channels 22 and 23.

Darth_vader said:
And paging services. I think there might still be some of that operating there.

"Well, just start it at 54MHz, leave a space between 72 and 76, then continue at 76."

That's sort of like what they did with CB radio, with the gap between channels 22 and 23.

There's no Gap on the UHF Band

22 518 524
23 524 530

There's a gap between Channel 4 and 5

Those are TV channels. CB channels 23-25 are done weirdly. I think it looks like this:
22: 27.225 Mc.
23: 27.255 Mc.
24: 27.235 Mc.
25: 27.245 Mc.
26: 27.265 Mc.

Yep.

There were, of course, originally only 23 CB channels. There were gaps between some of the original 23, which were occupied by some other kind of service. (industrial?) When they expanded CB to 40 channels, some of the additional 17 came from converting the "gap" channels to CB.

As I understand, it was an ISM band that was supposed to be used for remote-controlled toys (model airplanes, race cars, etc.) although "freebanders" would sometimes operate there as well.

"There's no gap in the UHF television band."

Actually there "sort of" is one in System M, if you consider channel 37 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_37). This correlates to cable channel 88.

Yep.

There were, of course, originally only 23 CB channels. There were gaps between some of the original 23, which were occupied by some other kind of service. (industrial?) When they expanded CB to 40 channels, some of the additional 17 came from converting the "gap" channels to CB.

There was a gap between 22 and 23...(a 30 kHz jump iirc) for business use and 23 was shared with that service as well iirc...also some of the lower channels had a 1 channel (10kHz) jump for Class C CB...

Only channels 24 and 25 are out of sequence....(except for the local channels that still skip the 10kHz sequence)...

it goes 22, 24, 25, 23 and then 26.. The new channels above 23 came from government or industry/business channels...been too long to remember

To some degree 87.9 is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSFH

But everybody wants a slice of the FM pie. Canada is moving all it's AMs to FM, so is Mexico and South America. We're talking about the entire Western Hemisphere. And the UK is already trying to deal with it's own FM crunch. Even though they want to move everything to digital, I don't see that happening. Like in the US, there are too many terrestrial obstacles that make digital very hard to receive in many areas. The rest of the world has the same problems.

There are some areas where AM has a distinct advantage over FM (deepest Alaska, very rural and SEVERE terrain challenged areas.) So in those places at least, I wouldn't write off AM just yet.

But the expansion down to 76 MHz DOES make a lot of sense. And I also support an expansion UP to 128 MHz (I know 108-128 MHz is reserved for aircraft, but I have RARELY heard ANY activity on these channels.) Because EVERYBODY wants to have a place on the FM band....A 76-128 MHz Super FM band should have room enough (and then some) for everybody.

As for LW, well it too has it's place. And there's not much you can do with it but have fun. Make it AM Stereo and should we colonize underwater, it should have a ready audience......

87.7 is NOT part of the FM broadcast band. 87.9 is the 1st FM channel; Number 200...used ONLY by former Class D 10 watt stations displaced from the 88-92 non commercial band. Only ONE licensed 87.9 FM is on in the US...The normal FM allocations start at Channel 201 (88.1) and go up. They could possibly take flea power AMs and put them on 87.9 with power and height restrictions to keep them from bothering co channel DTV 6 stations...keeping the day contour as the reference for the FM signal operation...would help rural Class C AMs more than anything but this will probably not happen...

Broadcasting will NEVER go above 108MHz.....aint gonna happen for a good while..going down wont happen either...LB DTV channels will likely see more stations as the repacking happens and 36-51 is given away to the wireless folks (again)...Heck, with lowband VHF LB being used less, time to reactivate the 42-50MHz original FM band??? :)

There's no Gap on the UHF Band

22 518 524
23 524 530

There's a gap between Channel 4 and 5

He's talking about CB channels, not TV. CB Channel 22 is 27.225 MHz, and 23 is on 27.255. The reason for the gap was that the space in between them was used for business and government radio back when CB radio was set up in 1958. Don't know if that's still true today.

By the time FM needs to be revamped, internet radio reception will probably already eclipse it, and it will probably go the way AM is going now.

I can't see FM ever going VHF Low Band. Who would bother buying the radios? What company is going to invest in a Low Band FM station with no radios out there in the market?

Young people already aren't into buying a stand alone radio -- it's all via their smart phone. Everything is the smart phone, or maybe tablet computer. Even the IPod is now an anachronism.

How about putting LPFM Stations on 76-87.5 MHz 250 w or less

In the Cities that has Ch. 5 or 6 don't broadcast, Or if a LPFM wants to locate by the Cities that has Ch. 5 or 6 75 mile range from the DTV station

How about putting LPFM Stations on 76-87.5 MHz 250 w or less

In the Cities that has Ch. 5 or 6 don't broadcast, Or if a LPFM wants to locate by the Cities that has Ch. 5 or 6 75 mile range from the DTV station

For the millionth time, the FCC has said repeatedly that

IT

IS

NOT

GOING

TO

HAPPEN!!!!

Can we all dream :p

That's what these boards are for. :)

Can't hurt to ask. Very interesting going back and reading this thread. Internet radio will gain way too much ground in the time it will take the FCC to act. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

That's what these boards are for. :)

Can't hurt to ask. Very interesting going back and reading this thread. Internet radio will gain way too much ground in the time it will take the FCC to act. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

The FCC doesn't want to act! They've made it 100% crystal clear that the lower-VHF TV spectrum will be used for television, and nothing else. The only way this will change is if Congress acts and the President (and it won't be Obama) signs such a bill. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom