• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM X-Band 76-87.7 Mhz

MarioMania

Star Participant
Why dosn't the FCC just expand the FM band all the way down to 76 Hhz??

No more Analog TV, So what's the hold up?? except in City's that has DTV on Ch. 5 or 6

There's LPTV broadcasting on 87.7 on Audio Only, that might change

I'm actually approving of expanding the FM band into 76-88 MHz... and provided that we give DTV channels on 5 and 6 ample time to relocate, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

I'd even allocate part of this FM X-Band for non-commercial stations (of course, keeping 88-92 MHz non-com only as well), and it'd perhaps give many first-time broadcasters (and former pirate stations, such as in NYC? maybe that can apply for legitimate licenses in the 76-88 band ;)) entry into the expanded band. And you know that old TV audio radio that you have? Voila, it'd be useful again :D

danikayser84 said:
I'm actually approving of expanding the FM band into 76-88 MHz... and provided that we give DTV channels on 5 and 6 ample time to relocate, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

I'd even allocate part of this FM X-Band for non-commercial stations (of course, keeping 88-92 MHz non-com only as well), and it'd perhaps give many first-time broadcasters (and former pirate stations, such as in NYC? maybe that can apply for legitimate licenses in the 76-88 band ;)) entry into the expanded band. And you know that old TV audio radio that you have? Voila, it'd be useful again :D

Are you in the FCC or something??

When do you think it will happen?? If this goes, stores need to import Japanese Radios & Walkman's

Now 87.7 will indeed be a legal frequ..

MarioMania: Nah, I'm not associated with the FCC... but knowing them, either it might take years or it'll never happen :(

In order to find this vast new source of broadband for rural internet (ha!) and to keep wireless folks happy (so they can sell more smart phones and make big money on usage charges--real reason); latest Commission proposals are to move more TV stations back down into the lower VHF bands. Many long time V's fled these channels for UHF because of tropo (which digital just hates) and the proliferation of new "Hi-Def" TV antennas which proved to be garden variety UHF log periodic and corner reflector antennas.

MarioMania said:
There's LPTV broadcasting on 87.7 on Audio Only, that might change
to LPFM (along with 87.5 and 87.9).  Remember the Low Power Community FM law?  The FCC might implement that service on those three frequencies.  New FM iPod transmitters might be mandated to be only on those frequencies.

The U.S. will finally utilize the entire international FM band (87.5-108.0 MHz)! 76-87.5 MHz, I don't think so.

Please explain why you don't think so....

LPFM, Com, Non Com, AM Station's would go in the new Expaned Band

Why is it takng the FCC this long to decide what to do with analog Ch. 5 & 6 for FM

I'm for this, or even down to 50 Mhz

MarioMania said:
Please explain why you don't think so....

LPFM, Com, Non Com, AM Station's would go in the new Expaned Band

Why is it takng the FCC this long to decide what to do with analog Ch. 5 & 6 for FM

I'm for this, or even down to 50 Mhz
Down to 50 MHz? Don't forget, there's a gap at 72 to 76 MHz (forget for what it is though)... I'd probably make former VHF channels 2, 3 and 4 (54-72 MHz) multiple amateur, military or experimental bands (are there any full-power DTV stations in VHF 2-4? Haven't heard of any...)

danikayser84 said:
(are there any full-power DTV stations in VHF 2-4? Haven't heard of any...)

Channel 2:
  • KREX-TV Grand Junction, Colorado
  • WLBZ Bangor, Maine
  • KSNV Las Vegas
  • KOTA-TV Rapid City, South Dakota
  • KJWY Jackson, Wyoming
(plus two stations in Canada)

Channel 3:
  • KIEM-TV Eureka, California
  • WSBS-TV Key West, Florida
  • KYUS-TV Miles City, Montana
  • KVNV Ely, Nevada
  • KDLO-TV Florence, South Dakota
  • WBRA-TV Roanoke, Virginia

Channel 4:
  • WHBF-TV Rock Island, Illinois
  • KSNB-TV Superior, Nebraska

(plus 2 stations in Canada)

"Don't forget, there's a gap at 72 to 76 MHz (forget for what it is though.)"

Paging services.

Darth_vader said:
"Don't forget, there's a gap at 72 to 76 MHz (forget for what it is though.)"

Paging services.

Radiolocation, aviation, fixed & mobile services, and radio controlled aircraft (under CB rules) also use these frequencies.

I think at this point a band expansion down to 76 MHz is very unlikely until both LPTVs and Canada and Mexico complete their DTV transition.

And even then a dim proposition and would take years to complete - possibly too late to save many AM and short-spaced FMs that might benefit.

I do think that 87.5, 87.7, and 87.9 as overflow FM channels where available are a possibility as the precedent has already been set (KSFH).

In Mexico it won't be til another 20 years or so...

Like in the San Diego Market where Analog 6 is still active XETV...The San Diego Market could use 76-82 Mhz because Ch. 6 is still on...

If that cause interference, don't use the X-Band in Area that has Ch 5 or 6

But in the SF, Sac, LA, Cle or other markets that the FM Band is Packed..could be used

I think this would be a good idea. Some radios already can receive this band by switching over to Japanese mode. The only issue would be getting TV stations to move frequencies, especially Canadian border towns that are exempt from the DTV mandate and low power stations. I don't see FM going away anytime soon, despite what some think. It still provides great audio quality and decent coverage, plus its free to receive unlike cellular internet or satellite radio and FM radios are pretty cheap.

It would help those who DX via e-skip since we would be able to receive FM skip on a much lower MUF.

I don't know why the FCC is sitting on there ass's about this

The FM Band is already Packed in some market's like L.A - Just expand it already

@Mario

I think it's a great idea, but it would take years to implement. Even if Canada and Mexico are taken out of the equation, there will still have to be a final disposition of analog LPTV.

I could be wrong, but I honestly can't see any expansion below 87.5 unless a bunch of other countries commit to it too - and even then unlikely.

Even on a secondary basis to EXISTING tv stations, it would be a huge benefit to use the 2-6 Tv band for fm now. I think am stations should be given an analog fm channel first for their local area, then the non-comm bunch etc. AM broadcasters deserve something that works. The fcc's lack of enforcement of noise generators like powerline and other noise emitting devices like dimmers and computers has rendered the current am and almost worthless. They need to offer a fix.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom