• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOXR Radio 97.7 Oxford , Ohio "Harold Parshall" ????????

WOXR Radio 97.7 Oxford , Ohio "Harold Parshall" ????????

Does anyone know the following ?
What date the little station went on the air ?
Orig. owner ?
Location -address ?
Doing some research in this area .......Thank You in Advance
Fish

Re: WOXR Radio 97.7 Oxford , Ohio "Harold Parshall" ????????

Someone other than I will know more detail, but it was on in the late 60's as a top 40 station--not sure how long before then. The studios (and possibly the transmitter) were on the second floor of a building (was it a bakery?) downtown. Some guy from Kokomo owned it then...not sure if he was owner #1. It was a fun little station where I eventually worked, but as luck would have it, they had just flipped to AOR when I got there and I wanted to work at the 'old' WOXR. I'd bet that much greater detail is lurking out there.

Here is some information from the 1970 Broadcasting yearbook:

It indicates that WOXR went on the air on December 24, 1959. It shows the station's power in 1970 at 3,000 watts with an antenna 85 feet tall. WOXR is listed as owned by B.G.C. Broadcasting who aquired it in May, 1968. Station personnel are listed:

President - James Gregg
General Manager - Jay Benham
Program Director - Dave Michaels
Program Manager - James Hartsock, Jr.
Chief Engineer - Robert Jordon

The location of the station is not given as only P.O. Box 85 in Oxford is shown as the mailing address. It does note under "special programs" WOXR does two hours in French every week.

Cincinnati Kid said:
Here is some information from the 1970 Broadcasting yearbook:

It indicates that WOXR went on the air on December 24, 1959. It shows the station's power in 1970 at 3,000 watts with an antenna 85 feet tall. WOXR is listed as owned by B.G.C. Broadcasting who aquired it in May, 1968. Station personnel are listed:

President - James Gregg
General Manager - Jay Benham
Program Director - Dave Michaels
Program Manager - James Hartsock, Jr.
Chief Engineer - Robert Jordon

The location of the station is not given as only P.O. Box 85 in Oxford is shown as the mailing address. It does note under "special programs" WOXR does two hours in French every week.
The 85' tall antenna kinda confirms my recollection that the transmitter was at one time on a short tower on the roof of a building where the studio was prior to their move to Stillwell-Becket Road where a full 3000 watt signal was by 1971. I know a guy who worked there in that era. I'll see what he recalls.

To the best of my knowledge WOXR went on the air sometime around 1961 or 1962. Occupied part of the second floor at West High Street and South Beach Street. Beasley's Bakery was on the first floor and currently houses "Oxford Optical" . The station was mostly owned by Howard Tony (from Eaton) and Harold "Bud" Parshall (from Mixerville, Indiana). I belive the corporation name was Mid-American Broadcasting. Everything was homemade by Bud. Board, transmitter and antenna. The transmitter and antenna was located at the same address, and 85 feet of height sounds about right. As a teenager, I did my first air shift on Christmas Eve 1963. Little did I know that NO ONE wanted to work on Christmas eve....the next week Bud told me I did such a good job on Christmas Eve that maybe I would like to work a week later on New Years Eve, nobody wanted that shift either. I didn't know or care because I was "on the radio".
Bud's interest was in engineering and did not like to be on the air. However he may have invented the first voice tracking as we know it today. I worked the 6 to midnight shift....but my mother would not let me stay up that late, so I would record song intros and outros and Bud would sit there from 10 to midnight and play them back. My mother still was not happy, as I would still stay up till midnight listening to "my show". The station signed off at midnight.
There is a very tragic story concerning Bud Parshall and radio....but that is for another time.

From memory, their next studio was at 14 College Ave, but I don't recall if it was N College or S College. It was a 1 story building that looked either like an office building or a 3 bedroom ranch. Been nearly 40 years since I was in there. I'm almost sure I was in the studio above the bakery when I was in high school, but I recall very little about that visit.

Is that the same Harold Parshall who was the chief engineer at WZIP in Cincinnati in 1967-68? I remember him from there. He also helped on remotes of basketball game broadcasts for that station, too.

FROM: Dave Michaels - former WOXR Radio employee : Circa 1967-68 Above Beasleys Bakery....from my memory and notes
here is what I can tell you ! Harold Parshall " Bud" put WOXR radio on the air from his house in Mixerville, Indiana in 1959.....
Harold was a jack of all trades..... he also worked at a hardware store in Oxford, was interested in Electronics and a Amateur
Radio Operator .... Lic. Novice - 1951.....WN8OFL later W8OFL....
After trying to make a go of WOXR ( it was hard to sell spots ) he sold it to a Eaton, Ohio Company....
Harold one night stayed over night at WOXR because he could not make it home with "snow drifting on the roads" and he and
his one son stayed there Friday night and was notified Saturday morning that his house burned down with his wife and five
other children....Very Sad.... for all !
Harold would leave Oxford for Dayton and start another radio station. ( WQRP Radio )
Howard Toney was Pres. of Mid American Broadcasting - WOXR Radio now.
WOXR Radio --- Eaton Company bought it in 1962... Jim Gregg ( BGS Broadcasting, Inc. bought it in 65-65 ) now owned out
of Kokomo, Indiana ... "Gregg, Swain and Briggs".....Jim Gregg would come to WOXR once a Month to over see the operation
while he hired locals to run it....
Continued : DM

Continued : Reference - WOXR Radio ( Dave Michaels )
WOXR Studios - 1965-69 High & Beech St. ( uptown Oxford ) above Beasleys Bakery
1969 Studios - 14 N. College St. - built by Frank Shoker ...red brick Bldg. (Studios 2d floor only )
Franks Construction Co. on 1st floor
Sometime in the early 70's -- WOXR Radio moved to 118 E. High Street with other businesses in the same bldg.
Next and final move would be -- WOXR is now gone and WOXY 97X owned by the couple from Chicago would
move the station out on College Corner Pike in a one floor bldg. until it was sold and the Bldg. was bull-dozed.
Now the call letters WOXR are being used again in Huber Heights by a Company.
The End.......

The WOXR calls are now on a classical format non-comm in New York state.

I worked weekends at "The Big 97" back in 1970-71 era. Studios were on the second floor of 14 N. College Avenue at the west end of town just off High Street. Transmitter was on Stillwell-Beckett Road and broadcast hours were 6am-1am. Ownership was BGS Broadcasting which also held WWKI in Kokomo IN. Some of the jocks during that era were Rick Sellers (PD), Don Aadams/Frank Tantum Jr, Rick Ludwin, Dave Michaels, Gerry Anderson, Mike Lee, and Roger Hamlyn (owner of the WOXR "Funny Car"). News guys were Gregory Paul Tantum and Dean Shepherd. Some off-air personnel were Bernie Doyle (GM), Jim Horne (sales), and Beth Darr (secretary). Absentee ownership for the most part except for Jim Gregg who made sales calls and occasional visits to the studio and transmitter site. The 14 N. College facilities consisted of a main studio, production/news room, AP machine closet, record library room, sales office, and small reception area.

Woxr // 1967

Someone other than I will know more detail, but it was on in the late 60's as a top 40 station--not sure how long before then. The studios (and possibly the transmitter) were on the second floor of a building (was it a bakery?) downtown. Some guy from Kokomo owned it then...not sure if he was owner #1. It was a fun little station where I eventually worked, but as luck would have it, they had just flipped to AOR when I got there and I wanted to work at the 'old' WOXR. I'd bet that much greater detail is lurking out there.

Bob, were you the DJ on duty at WOXR the night Otis Redding's plane went down? December 10, 1967. I was listening to WOXR that night and walked up to the studio and hung out with the DJ as he played a great Otis Redding Tribute, for hours.. That intimate connection in terms of radio broadcasting vs being a listener has remained with me ever since.. and Oxford was especially cool in those days, as was the entire music/radio scene.

If memory serves, the Huber Heights LPFM was originally licensed as WOXR-LP, or perhaps the competing application that saw 2 stations on the air at the same time on 97.7. They took on the WSWO-LP calls shortly afterward.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom