• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Fresh Air" show on MLK Day

Re: "Fresh Air" show on MLK Day

You guys are talking about "ground rules" like there's some "News Cop" standing in the corner to enforce "the rules". A guest can tell and interviewer anything they want before the show, and vice versa. It's entirely up to the guest to decide whether to stay on the interview and answer the questions (or duck them). The interviewer is under ZERO obligation to honor any wishes of the guest beyond that if they ask questions the guest doesn't like, the guest may leave. Thus creating an awkward situation of an interview show with no guest.

Of course, the balance against a guest having too thin a skin is that if the guest leaves, the interviewer can say anything and the guest can't respond to it. Dvorkin is correct in that it's the "empty chair" interview and that generally it's inappropriate. However, I personally would argue that it's occasionally necessary...especially with known-troublesome guests...so that they know that if they walk away from you, then you'll rip them a new one on a national broadcast...so they better stay in that damn chair.

If the guest doesn't like that? Well, that's just too f**king bad now isn't it? Don't like the heat? Don't go in the kitchen! Nobody's MAKING you do that interview, after all. You're doing to promote yourself and, usually, your product. In exchange for that FREE ADVERTISING the price you pay is that maybe you have to answer some uncomfortable questions? Gimme a break.

By the way, O'Reilly's supposed "temper" and "prickliness" is all an act. He can turn it on and off at will; he just knows that a 6'4" white man screaming at people, and having a reputation as a bully, is an exceedingly effective tool to get people to do what he wants...both on and off the camera. Remember: his goal in that interview was to sell books. The people who will buy his book are not, generally speaking, NPR listeners. However, the notoriety he gets from "telling the liberal media/NPR to go shove it" will sit nicely with the people who, generally speaking, WILL be the kind of folks who might buy his book.

One of the funny parts of this interview is it was obviously an ISDN hook-up with the guest in NYC, and Terry in Philly. So that when the guest left, Terry at first didn't know. She kept talking, and he was gone. Makes me wonder what those folks at the NY bureau did as a 6'4" man came raging out of the studio towards the front door. Was he still steaming? Or was he like Charles Emerson Winchester on MASH, who was able to do the stiff upper lip and contain himself as he walked out. My guess is he was more like the latter. Because he really wasn't pissed. Just looking to create some theater. Too bad it was on radio, and his audience was 90 miles away. It would have been way more entertaining had they been in the same room.

aaronread said:
The interviewer is under ZERO obligation to honor any wishes of the guest beyond that if they ask questions the guest doesn't like, the guest may leave.

Boy, you public radio PC types are no different than the wing-nuts: You will say anything rather than admit somebody on your side screwed up. Now, you have put yourself in the position of claiming that an employee of a public radio station who makes an agreement with a guest in order to secure an interview - who has given her word - is under no moral or ethical obligation to keep that agreement. Wow! What other agreements does public radio not have to keep. This kind of reasoning is typical of self-righteous people who think the ends justify the means.

Maybe such shenanigans is why Terry Gross hides from her guests by refusing to do interviews face to face.

MattParker said:
Now, you have put yourself in the position of claiming that an employee of a public radio station who makes an agreement with a guest in order to secure an interview - who has given her word - is under no moral or ethical obligation to keep that agreement.

My point is that no such "agreement" was made. In fact, such an agreement would have been unethical. There is no need to make any deal to "secure" an interview. Interviews are done to sell books. Program hosts are pitched interviews by publicists, and interviewers have to choose from among lots of possible topics. No one gives their word. Typically, the only agreement that is made is the signing of the release form, which gives the show full use of the interview for any purpose for perpetuity.

MattParker said:
Maybe such shenanigans is why Terry Gross hides from her guests by refusing to do interviews face to face.

That is just plain stupid. She works in Philadelphia. Most guests don't travel to Philadelphia. She doesn't do face to face interviews because of convenience of both parties. Same reason as Larry King. By the way, Larry has had guests walk off his show too.

TheBigA said:
MattParker said:

That is just plain stupid. She works in Philadelphia. Most guests don't travel to Philadelphia. She doesn't do face to face interviews because of convenience of both parties. Same reason as Larry King. By the way, Larry has had guests walk off his show too.

And Matt, do you believe that Ted Koppel is as guilty as Terry Gross? For all those years he did "Nightline," he rarely did face-to-face interviews--even if the guests were in Washington, they were put in a separate studio and had to wear an IFB to hear Koppel. And he had nothing to hide, since viewers of "Nightline" knew that the guests were almost never in the same room with him.

Mark Jeffries said:
And Matt, do you believe that Ted Koppel is as guilty as Terry Gross? For all those years he did "Nightline," he rarely did face-to-face interviews--even if the guests were in Washington, they were put in a separate studio and had to wear an IFB to hear Koppel. And he had nothing to hide, since viewers of "Nightline" knew that the guests were almost never in the same room with him.

What this seems to say that if Keith Olbermann is the "jerk" some here claim, he's got a lot of company.

Time for me to put Al Franken's "Late Line" back in my Netflix queue.

Now, you have put yourself in the position of claiming that an employee of a public radio station who makes an agreement with a guest in order to secure an interview - who has given her word - is under no moral or ethical obligation to keep that agreement.

Ummm, yeah. It's called "journalism". What matters is the story, not whose feelings you hurt getting it. That's the bottom line when you're talking about public figures. (like O'Reilly)

Mike Wallace was famous for setting up an interview with some corporate biggy on the pretense of talking about their charity work. He'd spend the first part of the interview on that subject, and then the interview would take a left turn and go into how the company was polluting some stream. And the only part they used was the last part. I just saw a local TV interview where the reporter was interviewing a club owner on the pretense of the 50th anniversary of the club. And somehow, the interview changed focus to the ties the owner had to organized crime and tax evasion. As with O'Reilly, the subject walked out. Except they were in the same room. No legs were broken, at least on camera. The Dateline NBC series on child molesters is pretty interesting. They lure a child molester into a home, who is greeted by TV cameras and a reporter instead of an underage girl. No moral or ethical obligation on the part of the reporter here. At the end of the interview, the molester is arrested. Makes for great TV.

aaronread said:

Ummm, yeah. It's called "journalism". What matters is the story, not whose feelings you hurt getting it. That's the bottom line when you're talking about public figures. (like O'Reilly)

Terry Gross is a talk show host. Not a journalist.

If it's OK for journalists to break their word, how can anybody trust them? First they break agreements with public figures. Next they disclose confidential sources. Next they just make stuff up. Journalists claim to be professionals, which means they "profess" a code of ethics. Their product is words and if their word means nothing, the product has no value. It's not about a hurt feelings, it's about integrity. This is why "journalists" rank right down their with lawyers and car salesmen in public trust.

Mike Wallace also did cigarette commercials and hosted rigged quiz shows.

"Broadcast journalists" like to call themselves "journalists" because they know they are really not. They are media hos.

MattParker said:
Journalists claim to be professionals, which means they "profess" a code of ethics. Their product is words and if their word means nothing, the product has no value. It's not about a hurt feelings, it's about integrity.

Their integrity is to the audience, not some scumbag child molester or corporate polluter. The goal is to serve the public, not the guest.

By the way, if Terry Gross is a talk show host, then there definitely is no agreement made with the guest. I know people who have been guests on O'Reilly's show, and he doesn't agree not to talk about things. You go on his show and he wants to eat you for lunch, you bring salt and pepper.

Apparently you have no concept of integrity. Integrity is to oneself. Ends do not justify the means. Thank you for disabusing me of the notion that public broadcasting operates on a higher plane than commercial broadcasting.

It is revealing that you consider Bill O'Reilly on the same level as child molesters or corporate polluters. I'd say he's on the same level as Terry Gross and you. Maybe even on a higher level because he is not a hypocrite. People who justify dishonesty because they are dealing with dishonest people are also dishonest. Congratulations, Terry Gross has lowered herself to Bill O'Reilly's level.

I also notice that while you condemn Bill O'Reilly for walking out on Terry, you don't condemn Joy Behar and Whoppi Goldberg for walking on Bill. You have no standard of right or wrong; just us versus them.

MattParker said:
Apparently you have no concept of integrity.

Sure I do.

I don't think you can make a generalization about public broadcasting OR commercial broadcasting. If itegrity is to oneself, then it's a function of the individual, not the company or the type of medium.

MattParker said:
It is revealing that you consider Bill O'Reilly on the same level as child molesters or corporate polluters.

I didn't make that connection. You did.

MattParker said:
I also notice that while you condemn Bill O'Reilly for walking out on Terry, you don't condemn Joy Behar and Whoppi Goldberg for walking on Bill.

It didn't come up. But I never condemned Bill for walking out on Terry. You should re-read my posts before you make accusations. You owe me an apology.

Speaking of integrity, where did you come up with the idea that Terry made an agreement with Bill before the interview? Was that based in fact, or did you just make it up? I believe it was the latter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom