• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NPR reported Rep Giffords "died"

MattParker

Inactive
Inactive User
NPR wrongly reported on-air that Rep Gabrielle Giffords was killed in the Tucson shooting.
Alicia Shephard said:
[size=10pt]How NPR's Giffords Mistake Hurt The Families[/size]
I’ve since learned what real, excruciating pain NPR triggered with its false news report that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords had died, which was repeated on npr.org, e-mail alerts, Twitter and picked up by other news organizations....
READ MORE...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2011/01/18/132964802/how-npr-giffords-mistake-hurt-the-families?ps=cprs
It's not entirely clear what happened here but it looks like a screw up at NPR's national news desk. Somehow they heard from somebody in the local sheriff's office and somebody called a "congressional source" that Giffords had died. Members of her family, some of whom were waiting at the hospital while she was in emergency surgery, heard the report. One called NPR's reporter in Tucson. Another called host Scott Simon, who is described as a close friend of Clifford. Originally Shephard wrote that the news desk resisted changing their story after getting a call from their own reporter on the scene; later she back-tracked on this point. Simon asked pointedly why the news desk would take the word of "cops or pols" instead of getting a report from the hospital. Shephard adds that NPR "compounded the error" by waiting a day to issue a correction of an apology.

This is not the first time something like this has happened. In 1963, just after he joined CBS, Dan Rather was serving as producer of CBS' coverage of Jack Kennedy's visit to Dallas (he was not reporting on-air). He recounts that he was at the local affiliate with the station's news director when they heard somebody say Kennedy had died. Rather was on the phone to New York and repeated what he had heard. In seconds, Rather heard radio newscaster Allan Jackson repeating this "report" of Kennedy's death on the CBS Radio Network. Rather told them the report was not official nor confirmed and Cronkite on the TV side never used it. Still, if Kennedy had not died it could have meant an early end to Rather's career with the network.

Now, whom will NPR fire this time?

Reminds me of the day Reagan was shot when ABC erroneously reported that
press secretary James Brady had died. I remember the late Frank Reynolds
absolutely chewing into his news staff to "get this right!"

Certainly it would be traumatic for the families of those involved, but the
chaos of those situations sometimes lends itself to misreporting.

FreddyE1977 said:
Reminds me of the day Reagan was shot when ABC erroneously reported that
press secretary James Brady had died. I remember the late Frank Reynolds
absolutely chewing into his news staff to "get this right!"

Certainly it would be traumatic for the families of those involved, but the
chaos of those situations sometimes lends itself to misreporting.

Ironic: A TelePrompTer reader whose only qualification was good looks and good pipes telling real news people how to do their jobs! This is Ted Baxter yelling and Lou Grant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom