• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Salem - not sure they saved anything

Seems to be a lot of industry chatter that Salem's Mike Gallagher "saved" the Tucson memorials by giving the Whack jobs at Westboro "baptist church" a forum to vent instead of protesting at the events.

While I'm glad for any success radio can have ... this positioning is both explotative and inaccurate.

Bottom line is that many states have been passing legislation that bans protesting within proximity of a funeral/memorial -- with fines of five or six digits. In every case that legislation scared those whack jobs away -- and Arizona did the same thing. So now what we have done is to give the whack jobs a national forum (including here in Seattle, I assume) when the more effective strategy might be to just ignore them, or fine the hell out of them when they DO show up demonstrating what has to be the world's worst judgement.

What puzzles me is I can't imagine the Baptist hierarchy is in any way in favor of all the hate speech these folks represent and hasn't forced them to re-identify themselves as an independent cult rather than using their church label.

As we've mentioned on here a few times...there IS that whole "first amendment" thing ... but it is also accompanied by good taste and reasonable judgement. That hate group doesn't have either.

LITTLEBOYBLUE said:
Seems to be a lot of industry chatter that Salem's Mike Gallagher "saved" the Tucson memorials by giving the Whack jobs at Westboro "baptist church" a forum to vent instead of protesting at the events.

While I'm glad for any success radio can have ... this positioning is both explotative and inaccurate.

Bottom line is that many states have been passing legislation that bans protesting within proximity of a funeral/memorial -- with fines of five or six digits. In every case that legislation scared those whack jobs away -- and Arizona did the same thing. So now what we have done is to give the whack jobs a national forum (including here in Seattle, I assume) when the more effective strategy might be to just ignore them, or fine the hell out of them when they DO show up demonstrating what has to be the world's worst judgement.

What puzzles me is I can't imagine the Baptist hierarchy is in any way in favor of all the hate speech these folks represent and hasn't forced them to re-identify themselves as an independent cult rather than using their church label.

As we've mentioned on here a few times...there IS that whole "first amendment" thing ... but it is also accompanied by good taste and reasonable judgement. That hate group doesn't have either.

The fact Salem would stoop to THIS level and air this crap on their stations confirms what a lot of people already feel about Salem. All it was is an unabashed free plug for Fred Phelps & co. when they should have taken the high road and ignored them like everybody else.

Where oh, where has my beloved KJET of hallowed memory gone?........

Never did get a sticker from KJET 1590, but one of the most prized stickers I have in the collection is from KZOK 1590: "HEY STOOPID....WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO Z ROCK AM 1590".

A far cry from the crap that Salem now presents on 1590.

Dan said:
Never did get a sticker from KJET 1590, but one of the most prized stickers I have in the collection is from KZOK 1590: "HEY STOOPID....WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO Z ROCK AM 1590".

A far cry from the crap that Salem now presents on 1590.

I still have mine! And that Z-Rock sticker. I also have a giant guitar pick with a Z-Rock logo and AM 1590 emblazoned on it. I should scan it.....

Those were the days.......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom