• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dan Ingram has a Problem with Ted Williams

Has he contacted the AFTRA shop steward on this? Ted just voiced a Kraft TV spot. I'm pretty sure their agency uses only AFTRA talent.

TheBigA said:
Has he contacted the AFTRA shop steward on this? Ted just voiced a Kraft TV spot.
I'm pretty sure their agency uses only AFTRA talent.

I think Ted Williams joined AFTRA and SAG earlier this week. Dr. Dork (Phil)
probably paid the dues, seeing as how he's also springing for the rehab costs.

Dan? Much more than fifty VO guys. And tens of thousands of generic broadcasting guys. All thrown out of work by consolidation, automation, and budget cuts. And none of us hooked on anything worse than caffeine, phonics, or a feeling. Yet this guy jumps to the front of the queue and then goes right back on the hard stuff.

This is not a case of someone down on his luck due to circumstances. This is a guy who self-destructed. Maybe he deserves a second chance, but not the keys to the kingdom.

Thank you for saying what you did. And for proving I'm not a heartless bastard for feeling ripped off by this bozo.

My criticism of Dan's comments are two-fold. First, I believe them to be wrong. In order to voice a national spot for Kraft, I'm sure he needed to become a union member. But second, union membership isn't a job qualification. And I say this as a former AFTRA member. I didn't have to pass an audition to become a union member. I didn't have to take a test, go through any kind of apprenticeship, or required training in order to become an AFTRA member. A master plumber or electrician does. All one needs to do is pay a huge initiation fee. It doesn't mean the member is any better than anyone else, or more qualified to hold a job. I feel that's wrong, and creating standards for membership, beyond an initiation fee, would professionalize the members. I was speaking with a financial consultant who had just passed a certification exam. It struck me there really is no such thing in broadcasting since the FCC 3rd class licenses were eliminated. That kind of certification would be used as a qualification, and demonstrate to a potential employer that the applicant has certain training and experience beyond what's on the resume.

Back to Ted, what he did was market himself. That's what any voice talent should do. If you can't effectively market yourself, you can't market your client's product. Stan Freberg's famous spot Why I Should Advertise on Radio is a great example. Having a golden voice isn't enough, as Ted proves. It's knowing what to do with it, and having a story that moves you to the front of the line. All of the thousands of out of work broadcasting guys have stories too, but they haven't found compelling ways to tell them. That's the challenge to any type of talent, whether we're talking a VO guy, an actor, or a recording artist. They're all born with a certain amount of God-given talent. It's what one does with it that makes all the difference.

Back to Ted, what he did was market himself. That's what any voice talent should do. If you can't effectively market yourself, you can't market your client's product. Stan Freberg's famous spot Why I Should Advertise on Radio is a great example. Having a golden voice isn't enough, as Ted proves. It's knowing what to do with it, and having a story that moves you to the front of the line. All of the thousands of out of work broadcasting guys have stories too, but they haven't found compelling ways to tell them. That's the challenge to any type of talent, whether we're talking a VO guy, an actor, or a recording artist. They're all born with a certain amount of God-given talent. It's what one does with it that makes all the difference.
[/quote]

I waited to chime in. After the Ted story broke I was hoping it wouldn't happen but did. Comments from the self centered, jealous "what about me" members of the radio community. How about giving the guy who has been living on the street your support? Thank you BigA for your comments. Just goes to show any bum with talent can take your job.

12: I hired a homeless man once. Gave him a chance and he made the most of it. Cleaned up his act, cleaned himself up, eventually moved up to assistant manager at my theater. But he started at entry level. Ted jumped over every more established, more experienced, more reliable broadcaster out there for prime jobs. And, surprise, he's back in rehab. Can't be counted upon.

Of course, it doesn't help that our business doesn't have entry-level any more.

I find it amazing that my 20 years in the business mean nothing; all I need to do is get hooked on heroin and wind up on the streets and I'll have more work than I know what to do with.

Pab Sungenis said:
Of course, it doesn't help that our business doesn't have entry-level any more.

Sure it does. Just that no one wants to work for entry level money any more. So that priced entry level work too high. Buit there are entry level jobs open in radio right now if folks were willing to take the pay cut and move to less glamorous locations.

TheBigA: I'll work for entry-level money. Gladly. Point me to the job and I will take it.

Board operators have been replaced by desktop automation, overnight jocks replaced by voice-tracking, production jobs are shoved off on one production director because it's so easy to do multitrack production with computers and there's no need to cart spots from reel-to-reel tape any more.

Technology has consolidated or eliminated many jobs in many professions. It happens, fair or not. And sometimes people get fortunate breaks that those of us who think we're "playing by the rules" don't. Last time I checked, life didn't come with a 100% "fairness in the eye of the beholder" guarantee. Spending time being bitter and resentful over someone who happened to have some good fortune seems to me to be a waste of the precious gift of time we do have.

Going to rehab is a bad thing? Ted could have grabbed the job offers and money but instead made the right choice.
Thanks to computers and automation, just about every profession has less people doing more work. Even the thousands of toll takers on the highway are whining. Can you say, EZ pass?

Comments from the peanut gallery...

My view on this is thus: Dan Ingram is right, but it's the wrong time. Dan and other union talent should have had AFTRA taking a LOT of stations to task many years ago when union talent got shown the door in many markets. Unfortunately, while AFTRA's strong point is national advertising talent, when it comes to radio talent, the union has little leverage. Go on strike and thats all it takes for a station to hire non-union. And thats for the few stations/markets that are still union represented.

As for Ted Williams, yes he did self destruct. But, while he made some bad life choices, he had the stroke of genius to do something unique in trying to survive on the street, instead of hang a sign around his neck saying 'will work for food'. Does he deserve a second chance? Or a third? Of course he does. Anyone who is down on his or her luck does. For any of you here who are so bitter with your own lot in this business, my advise is to use your brain and find a way to make yourself attractive to a potential employer. So, you want to be the voice of Kraft? Or Simonize? Or Coke? Well, dammit, don't complain that Ted Williams jumped over the 'bottom' and landed a lucrative deal. Improve your own performance and use the brain God gave you and the talent that you profess to have and do something to help yourself.

I'm GLAD Ted Williams got his break. And, his voice has a very positive effect on this industry: it shows that people want to hear a VOICE with personality instead of some dude who sounds like a skateboarder who wears his jeans around his knees - who will work for the price of a six-pack.

Sorry if I stepped on some toes, but thats just my take on it.

fm100fan said:
My view on this is thus: Dan Ingram is right, but it's the wrong time. Dan and other union talent should have had AFTRA taking a LOT of stations to task many years ago when union talent got shown the door in many markets. Unfortunately, while AFTRA's strong point is national advertising talent, when it comes to radio talent, the union has little leverage. Go on strike and thats all it takes for a station to hire non-union. And thats for the few stations/markets that are still union represented.
Well, there are solid reasons for that. Radio talent unions have priced themselves out of the market. In an industry where the supply of potential workers far outstrips the demand, a union's never going to maintain traction. And look what AFTRA's done for international advertising talent on the web. They've opened a market for drop-in software to replace their overpriced talent with alternate spots. Great job. Dan will aways be remembered as a great air talent, but he's always been off base when it comes to media labor issues. Reality dictates that most of the unions just aren't sustainable in today's open media market. And the only reason they were ever sustainable was because of artificial, government, regulations on levels of staffing in the past.

I've been hearing a lot of people bashing Ted Williams. It should be no surprise to people in the business. Media is always finding an "it" person to be it's voice or spokesperson. Radio has especially been trying to find it's next stars. How about all the comedians turned broadcasters. I worked at a cluster that saw it's top 2 stations do the same "You Can Be The Next Morning Show Co-Host" promotion. Both stations continued to be #1 and #2 in the market with listeners turned morning co-hosts. When you're in a business that's based on popularity it's not about who worked hardest, it's about right place, right time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom