• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KZOK HD2 Classic rock deep cuts

I can remember when I was a kid people saying the same thing about "FM." Let's NOT be so shortsighted......years from now it may be totally different. There was a time when AM was king, and now it's been dethroned....HD Radio could be the next big thing to come along and once that and internet radio receivers are in cars....then watch out!! Especially IF it is free....vs. XM/Sirius. People love free stuff!

just my two cents

Agree with JJ on HD. Gonna take so time to get traction.

Steenman, Guru's right, no need to call anyone out on this board.
Let's make that a 2000 and 11 promise!!

Also, no need to e-amil the KZOK PD about what he already reads here.
No response, because he knew it was you!!(lol)

::) I have no axe to grind one way or the other with anyone on this board. Look forward to the continued lively discussions. Thank you.

touche'. no axe to grind as well. i have installed a few hd signals in several markets, and it pays my bills. But with the push by auto manufacturers to bring internet radio into all cars over the next few years, i do not see why an automotive engineer would spend millions of dollars also trying to integrate hd receivers into dashboards. radio is local. internet is global. either we as an industry pay for the hd adoption, or we will get left behind. car companies think two things: bottom line, and global. spending funds goes against the former, and local hd radio won't be a deal-maker once internet radio is widely available. zero benefit for the cash expenditure. only my 2 cents. i appreciate your time.

This is completely off the HD topic .. though I am curious if anyone has insight. Tubes'... mention of investing millions to engineer solution makes me wonder why auto industry doesn't come up with some kind of specification for audio system "rack" space (something like units of 8" wide by x" tall). Then after-market or upgrades could be purchased to slide into the rack units ... as new technologies are introduced they are integrated in dashboard, etc. Obviously deeper issues (e.g. integration with built-in speakers) -- but just as a concept it would seem like it has legs. Unfortunately, manufacturers of almost everything these days prefer closed architectures and the consumer loses. Think, for example, if a computer had a "CPU" plug-in, hard-drive plug-ins, etc. and we could reuse desktop cases and plug in new modules without cracking the case open (many servers even work that way with plug-in drives).

With an architecture like that...purchasing an XM/Sirius or HD (or combo) after-market unit would be simple...and it could plug into the car system.

Just a thought.... Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

there is a standard, but much like everything else, standards change. it's called "single din" and it was very easy to add aftermarket head units. If I recall, it was the 1996 model ford taurus that went to the double din standard (2x's bigger slot) with their integrated control panel which combined radio and hvac controls. That's where we are now, most cars will accept the double din standard, but even that is changing. people want bigger screens, more screens, etc. It won't be long before traditional drop in electronics are eschewed for complete touchscreen control centers. we already have the technology (think ipad instead of buttons & switches), it just takes one manufacturer to make the leap and the rest will follow. at that point adding hd,sat,etc as an aftermarket accessory will have to be in under dash kits and modules.

one more thing. in most of your newer cars, the radio is an integral part of the "system". The onboard processor's are programmed to recognize when something is not there, and can shut down related systems, or give false dashboard warnings. before swapping your head unit out, consult with your audio installers, and DO YOUR RESEARCH online in the forums that deal with your particular make & model.

tubessoundbetter said:
hd radio is pointless, redundant, and retarted

THANK YOU- stations giving alternatives to their own signal and taking away from their advertisers which are hard enough to come by now days? Competing with yourself and asking listeners to tune out your primary station?

RR

Randy Roadz said:
tubessoundbetter said:
hd radio is pointless, redundant, and retarted

THANK YOU- stations giving alternatives to their own signal and taking away from their advertisers which are hard enough to come by now days? Competing with yourself and asking listeners to tune out your primary station?

RR

Why does it have to detract? What if a station runs an entirely different genre of music on their other HD channels, wouldn't or couldn't they take away another companies listeners and bring them over to their advertisers... Almost like running 2 or three stations from the same operation, if you picked wisely you would not be competing with yourself for the most part.

Why does it have to detract? What if a station runs an entirely different genre of music on their other HD channels, wouldn't or couldn't they take away another companies listeners and bring them over to their advertisers... Almost like running 2 or three stations from the same operation, if you picked wisely you would not be competing with yourself for the most part.
[/quote]

Let's get real here... it detracts b/c the format is sooooo close to the regular signal. Are you in Radio or an armchair quarterback??? You're telling your listeners... "hey, quit listening here, and go over there". Listen, if I'm spending 200 dollars or more per commercial... I don't need the on air jocks to tell loyal listeners to tune to where my commercials AREN'T. Get it?

Randy Roadz

Is it the advertisers that don't want to spend extra money on an HD2 signal, or just the stations not taking advantage of the opportunity?

Oh yea, my idea of deep cuts, would be a rare hit from Styx I, or Todd Rundgren's band, Utopia, or that one classic rock song that has the circus-type music at the beginning of it (sorry, can't think of the name or artist. It's been awhile since i've heard that song). Some things that they just haven't played on the radio in many many years. That would be a good reason for me to invest in an HD radio.

Two things:

1. Stations wanted to launch the subchannels commercial free to get listeners introduced to them.
2. AEs aren't even selling out the ads on main channels - so even if there WERE avails on the subchannels they'd probably just be bonuses added on to main channel flights.

SRP said:

Two things:

1. Stations wanted to launch the subchannels commercial free to get listeners introduced to them.
2. AEs aren't even selling out the ads on main channels - so even if there WERE avails on the subchannels they'd probably just be bonuses added on to main channel flights.

THANK YOU!

RR

swhyde1980- you may be thinking of the 3 Dog Night cover of the song "The Show Must Go On"- originally by Leo Sayer.

IndigoCoyote said:
swhyde1980- you may be thinking of the 3 Dog Night cover of the song "The Show Must Go On"- originally by Leo Sayer.

The 3 Dog Night version is what I remember! (After looking on YouTube). Thanks Indigo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom