• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should/will AC's go back to their regular format on 12/26...?

...since Christmas falls on a Saturday this year, should AC stations go back to their regular format on Sunday (12/26) or wait until Monday, when the weekend is over?

Sunday gets my vote....enough already! I wonder if many will hold out until Monday. Both AC stations in my market went back to soft rock on Saturday, 12/26 last year.

When the clock strikes midnight, it should go back to regular programming, especially the ones that went all-Christmas barely past Halloween. They had all the time in the world to play Christmas music.

carolinaradio said:
Agree. I hope that happens here...heck, I'll take "Hey Soul Sister!"
I wouldn't go THAT far!

Mix 92.9 here in Nashville continued to play Christmas music right through (I believe) New Year's Day this past year, although they quit with the wall-to-wall Christmas music on December 26th. They just continued playing Christmas songs among their regular rotation right up to New Year's. My guess is that they will do that again.

Mix 92.9 here in Nashville is running their usual Christian music program like they do every Sunday morning. To me, that would make for a good transition.

I am guessing that most stations are carrying Delilah and Tesh, so those stations would be carrying whatever programming that Delilah/Tesh would be airing at midnight. I know that that was the case with Mix 92.9 last year, but I have no idea what they did last night, as I had too much tryptophan yesterday, thus was getting my ZZZZs last night.

Meh...I like having the holiday songs last a bit longer, though I'd prefer a blend--a winding down if you will--just as I'd have prefered a ramping up instead of the all at once approach. WBEB is running all holiday today, and I assume will drop it all at once on Monday.

firepoint525 said:
carolinaradio said:
WMYI/Greenville, SC went back to AC at exactly midnight, starting with Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night."
That would be enough to make me tune out again! ::)

As as long as the woman is speaking French at the end.

I have the I Heart Radio app on my iPhone and listened to a few AC stations last night. Lite FM in Chicago, Star 105.7 Grand Rapids and My 98.1 Chattanooga were among those who still played Christmas songs after midnight.

imhomerjay said:
Meh...I like having the holiday songs last a bit longer, though I'd prefer a blend--a winding down if you will--just as I'd have prefered a ramping up instead of the all at once approach. WBEB is running all holiday today, and I assume will drop it all at once on Monday.

I mentioned on another thread that I don't mind a few Christmas songs sprinkled in with regular programming through New Years Day, but just not the continuous Christmas songs like in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

the golden boy said:
imhomerjay said:
I mentioned on another thread that I don't mind a few Christmas songs sprinkled in with regular programming through New Years Day, but just not the continuous Christmas songs like in the weeks leading up to Christmas.
Seems like the ACs here are doing that. 92.9, as I mentioned earlier, is still sprinkling in the Christmas tuneage. Lite 98.7 in Hopkinsville is apparently doing the same. I'll keep listening, and let you know.

The FISH (Christian AC), however, started the Christmas tuneage a week before 92.9, and is still apparently all-Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

WSPA in Greenville, SC has gone back to AC as of midnight
WXLY in Charleston, SC went back to Classic Hits/AC with some Christmas songs sprinkled in on Sunday
WLYT in Charlotte, NC went back to AC with Delilah Sunday
WBBQ in Augusta, GA went back to AC [Premium Choice] on Sunday

carolinaradio said:
WSPA in Greenville, SC has gone back to AC as of midnight
WXLY in Charleston, SC went back to Classic Hits/AC with some Christmas songs sprinkled in on Sunday
WLYT in Charlotte, NC went back to AC with Delilah Sunday
WBBQ in Augusta, GA went back to AC [Premium Choice] on Sunday
K-104.7 was back to normal as well. I was disappointed because I wasn't ready for Christmas songs to end. I haven't been listening all that much because even my station has so many bad ones.

On a related note, I had forgotten just how good the first few notes of Madonna's "Borderline" sound. I mean before she starts singing.

"The Breeze" in NJ (107.1 WWZY, 99.7 WBHX) is still playing some secular "winter" songs, like "Baby It's Cold Outside" -- quite appropriate for the major snowstorm we just got.

one way to see which stations that are still playing Christmas songs is go to yes.com and search for Bing Crosby or someone else

carolinaradio said:
...since Christmas falls on a Saturday this year, should AC stations go back to their regular format on Sunday (12/26) or wait until Monday, when the weekend is over?

Sunday gets my vote....enough already! I wonder if many will hold out until Monday. Both AC stations in my market went back to soft rock on Saturday, 12/26 last year.

I strongly disagree. One of the reasons people get so sick of Christmas music and are ready to return to normal programming at 12:01 a.m. on 12/26 is because it's been shoved down their throats since early November! For me, I don't usually want to start listening to any Christmas music until approximately December 1.

As a Christian who is sick and tired of the commercialization of the holiday, it bothers me so much that stations immediately abandon all Christmas music just because the 12/25 date has passed. After all, the 12 days of Christmas BEGIN on December 25 and end on January 5 - the day before Epiphany. I usually listen to nothing but Christmas music all December long - including the week between Christmas and New Year's.

I think it's okay for AC stations to gradually decrease the frequency of Christmas music starting on 12/26 (just like I wish they would GRADUALLY increase the frequency of it starting around Thanksgiving). But as we know, things are not done in moderation anymore because it's all about ratings, competition, and advertising revenue for the stations.

imhomerjay said:

Amen.

the golden boy said:
Lite FM in Chicago, Star 105.7 Grand Rapids and My 98.1 Chattanooga were among those who still played Christmas songs after midnight.

Star 105.7 in Grand Rapids continued playing all Christmas music until 7 p.m. on 12/26 - when the non-Christmas version of Delilah came on. In 2009, since Christmas Day was a Friday, the station waited until 7 p.m. on Sunday, 12/27. That was a decent move I thought.

satech said:
"The Breeze" in NJ (107.1 WWZY, 99.7 WBHX) is still playing some secular "winter" songs, like "Baby It's Cold Outside" -- quite appropriate for the major snowstorm we just got.

This is great. I'd love to hear more secular winter, non-Christmas songs played this time of year... "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!", "Winter Wonderland", "Sleigh Ride", etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom