• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOOK, WDJY changeover date??

It was DJ 100 as early as 1985. Wiki is vary vague on the stations history. Thats about all I know.

I just found out that 1984 was the year that WOOK became WDJY. The format shifted from "The Black Album Station" to a CHR Urban approach. That's why they changed call letters. The OK100 line-up consisted of John Turk in mornings, Chris James in mid-days, Gene "Rock Star" Phillips in afternoons, Tony Marquis in the evening and Harry Boomer at night. Gene Phillips and Tony Marquis left when they became DJ100. That is probably when Jim Randall left KIX Country to do nights at DJY. I used to work with Jim at KIX and I remember visiting him one night when he was doing the night show at DJ100. It was about a year later when it became soft jazz. I'd like to thank former United Broadcasting engineer, Euclid Coukouma for that information.

The changeover date was in January of 1984. I'm unsure of the exact date but it was a Friday night/Saturday morning at 12 midnight and it was raining. The week-day lineup then was as follows:

5-9am-KC Carson
9am-1pm Chris James
1pm-3pm Dan O'Neill (Program Director)
3pm-7pm Charmaine Foster
7pm-12m-??? Can't remember his name, sorry!
12m-5am-Michael Burke

7-midnight was Jim Randall a.k.a J.J. Randall, formerly of KIX Country and WMOD when they were oldies and top 40. I got to sit in with him one night when he was doing his show.

There was a period when it was called Hot 100. Had to be late 80s or early 90. I remember I believe Pat Garrett's imaging at that time. Can't remember if the call letters were still WDJY or not though.

It was the late 80's when Hot 100 surfaced... it wasn't around for long. It morphed into WJZE/Jazzy 100 under a mix of Dan O'Neill and Gary Lee Gross.

Pat wasn't the imaging voice of Hot, I can't recall who it was thought. They used *very* out of place TM jingles on the station, as well. I have an aircheck - will find it and post it soon.

Please do post. I love hearing those old air checks. Was Hot 100 on for just a year or two? I do remember it being rather short.

In case this forum is still active, I would like to respond to some of the questions about radio station WOOK, WDJY.

I'm from Washington, DC and remember listening to WOOK as far back as the 1950's. I worked there as an on-air announcer in 1990. At that time, the station was called WDJY, OK100. While working there, the called letters were changed to WJZW and was converted to an all jazz format. John Turk still worked there, but in a management positon and our Program Director was BJ. The fulltime and parttime announcers, at that time were ... BJ, Felisha LaDezma, Charmaine Foster, Sherry Ellison, Will Allen, Mike Burke, Mike Friend, Brodie, Paul Porter. We rotated a lot because, seemingly, the PD had difficulty deciding who would fill which time slot. This lineup didn't last very long due to the format change to all jazz.

Kinda sorta

<<While working there, the called letters were changed to WJZW>> Close. The calls of 100.3 went from WDJY to WJZE under O'Neill and Gross. While WDJY was Hot 100 (using not outdated, but out of format TM jingles) Pat Garrett did the imaging. It wasn't his voice (Mitch Craig maybe?), but Pat did all of the production.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom