• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAJD-- Gainesville's Motown and R&B connection

radiobum said:
Hey they actually added a song to their miniscule playlist ! The original "This Magic Moment".

Can one of your radio experts explain why they don't they do this format 'right' (albeit automated) and try to sell it with WYKS ? Hell they could voicetrack it, right ?

Trouble with Urban AC style stations is it really requires jocks to have a good understanding of the music and a passion for it. I doubt anyone on staff at YKS has a thorough knowledge and passion for the format. Maybe a few songs, but not the format as a whole.

Now, if Gillen were to market and throw on a syndicated network-- It would do pretty well.

They're not Urban AC-they're R and B Oldies. I'm guessing the PARENTS ( grandparents?) of WYKS D.J.'s would know more about the music than the D.J.'s !

radiobum said:
They're not Urban AC-they're R and B Oldies. I'm guessing the PARENTS ( grandparents?) of WYKS D.J.'s would know more about the music than the D.J.'s !

For the sake of argument, it's the same difference. Point is, current YKS staff doesn't know enough.

Gainesville Mall

Did WUWU / WAKA have an FM counterpart while they were located in the Gainesville Mall?

They were AM only while at the mall. They went from R&B oldies to progressive talk to regular talk to ??? I hadn't thought of them in months and just tried them and they are off the air. I'll keep checking.

You wonder why Gillen doesn't just turn in the license as it couldn't have much value after being ignored for years.

They were AM only while at the mall. They went from R&B oldies to progressive talk to regular talk to ??? I hadn't thought of them in months and just tried them and they are off the air. I'll keep checking.

You wonder why Gillen doesn't just turn in the license as it couldn't have much value after being ignored for years.

It's been off the air for weeks.

I cannot answer for Doug, but if it were me, I might want to keep the AM for eventual pairing with a translator. Also, if I turned in the license, there's no guarantee that someone won't come along later and apply for it again. By holding the station, he prevents competition, possibly. WAJD could have had a meaningful nighttime authorization by using three towers from a different location, so it might be possible to get a deleted WAJD back on the air if the license were ever surrendered.

In answer to another question, other than WYKS, WAJD has never had an FM sister.

Between 1961 and 1983, AM 1390 has been a stand-alone AM station, so beautiful music formatted WAKA 1390 (while located in the Gainesville Mall - 1975 - 1978) never had and FM sister station. It was paired with WYKS-FM in 1983 when then Kiss 105 owner, Sunshine Wireless Broadcasting, acquired the former WKGR 1390 and transformed it to WMGI adult urban/jazz Magic 1390. It has been co-owned with WYKS for the past 31-years.

For the sake of argument, it's the same difference. Point is, current YKS staff doesn't know enough.

There are several forms of R&B (oldies). We are a Rhythmic AC (Gap Band, Cheryl Lynn, Kool and the Gang) along with current hits (Bruno Mars, Iggy, etc.) everyone From our college kids, to moms love it. The key is to play strong songs that all demos can relate to. I would hold out for a translator (if they qualify). Without knowing the FCC info (If approved) for the station, I would downgrade to a class D, and use the translator for marketing purposes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom