• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAJD-- Gainesville's Motown and R&B connection

Would like to see a sample hour listed. Any streaming or website yet?

I don't believe WAJD has a website yet, unless it is a rider or piggy back off of Kiss 105.3's site... Nothing is showing when I search using the search engines.

I listened for a while and was hoping to hear some Motown and after three or four songs there was a long stretch of nothing but Motown. I wonder if they are playing CD's?

Sort of on topic—did their tower used to be off the street that goes in front of Evergreen cemetery? I assume that is the 100.9 tower that is there now. Radio Locator shows their tower between Waldo Road and East University.

100 bucks spent on amazon.com on greatest hits collections by wilson pickett, sam and dave and others could do wonders for this station !

Jeff said:
Sort of on topic—did their tower used to be off the street that goes in front of Evergreen cemetery? I assume that is the 100.9 tower that is there now. Radio Locator shows their tower between Waldo Road and East University.

WAJD's tower, if it can be called a tower, has been in the same location since the station signed on the air in 1960 or 61. I think it was then WPUP (Pup sniffs out the news), but I'm not certain if there were earlier call letters. The tower is located a few blocks north of SE 8th ave, in line with one of Gainesville airport's runways, thus the 120' tall tower. The original transmitter was a Gates BC-5p and was still in service when I was there in 1980.

The 100.9 tower was new in 1980. I signed on the station as the first engineer for Schulke's beautiful music formatted WMFM. I got in trouble for playing Kraftwerk's Autobahn while setting up the Harris MSP-90 audio processing at 2am on a Sunday night about a week after sign on. A listener, possibly the only one, called the next day to complain bitterly to the owner about the "rock" music on the air.

Thanks Kmagrill. WPUP sounds right and I think they were a country station. Their original studios were in an old house on East University near the Coke plant.

When I first discovered AM 1390 in 1977, it had a beautiful music format with the call letters WAKA. The studio, at the time, was located in the former Gainesville Mall on NW 13th street. The studio had an "open-face" window looking out towards the main mall entrance where visitors could look in and see the studio. WOCA 1370 Ocala has a similar "open-face" studio in the Cascades which is located on East Silver Springs Boulevard.

When I started at WAKA in '79, the studios had been moved to an office on SW 13th St which is now the Islamic Center. Format was "Eclectic Rock" which is code for "all the B sides you never wantd to hear". The station still had the original Gates Yard console, Russco turntables and Magnecord 1024 reel to reel decks in service along with the Gates transmitter and remote control. Chuck Conlon, Joe Schwartzel & I replaced the Gates Yard one night with an LPB which made a noticable improvement to the sound.

I remember when WAKA moved to that location which was located across 13th street from a place called Arts. Shawn Smith formerely with WMFQ Ocala became the program director and immediately started transitioning the format from beautiful music to soft adult contemporary which was called "Album Music". The station moniker became 14K. This occured sometime in 1978. One of the TV commercials had "Your Smiling Face" playing in the background with the caption "James is Taylor Made on 14K".

Remember the Record Bar in the Gainesville Mall? 14k was a great radio station.

vadar said:
Remember the Record Bar in the Gainesville Mall? 14k was a great radio station.

Yes I do. I bought many progressive rock albums from there when I was 16 circa 1977 / 1978... And, I agree that 14K was a great little 5kw AM radio station...

Kmagrill said:
...but I'm not certain if there were earlier call letters.
A brief history here.
During the early and middle 70's when they switched from WUWU (MOR) to WAKA (top 40), Some big DJ's from WFUN, Miami, and one of the ships which had been anchored off London, attempted to topple WGGG, but the daytimer could not compete with both 'GGG and the new album rocker, WGVL on 105.5.
BTW...GGG's studios, offices, transmitter, and stick were all at 1230 Waldo Rd.

Was WAKA a top-40 in the 70's? It was "ecclectic rock" in 1979 when I was there and switched to top40 in 1980. Christie Fox from WGGG was tapped to be the PD because her boyfriend, Gabe, was the PD at CK101 which was doing top40 in Orlando. The lineup included Jeri Banta in the afternoon drive slot who was then 17 or 18 and had been doing weekends at CK101. Despite some talent, 14k never did much against WGGG.

I applied there once in 1980, it was 14k and as I recall the PD and morning host was a Christy Fox. They replied to an ad I put in Broadcasting or R&R, the rely was on very thin paper. Just heard it once, passing through on the way to First Phone Wonder School in Sarasota

borderblaster said:
I applied there once in 1980, it was 14k and as I recall the PD and morning host was a Christy Fox. They replied to an ad I put in Broadcasting or R&R, the rely was on very thin paper. Just heard it once, passing through on the way to First Phone Wonder School in Sarasota

They had fabulous letterhead. It was on laid linen embossed with a raised metalic gold 14k logo. I still have a few sheets in a box. There was also a cool 14k t-shirt, metalic gold on black, that I wore for years until it faded away to light grey from zillions of washings.

Hey they actually added a song to their miniscule playlist ! The original "This Magic Moment".

Can one of your radio experts explain why they don't they do this format 'right' (albeit automated) and try to sell it with WYKS ? Hell they could voicetrack it, right ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom