What's the worst sounding station you've heard? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the worst sounding station you've heard?

Re: What's the worst sounding station you've heard?

I got the OK to post the clips. Here's a link directly the WSLV data page on my site where the mp3s are available for download.

Here's what's been uploaded:

• A long commercial break for local businesses from around 4pm.
    • A segment of jock banter pushing the streaming option, plus weather from out-of-market Birmingham TV meteorologist J-P Dice.
    • A 22 minute clip featuring a short break, followed by the swap shop show. It's a hoot!
    • A quick imaging sample.
    • A long jingle that appears to be a mix of a 60's-era sun WSLV jingle edited to what may be an ABC Classic Country jingle.
    • And finally, the sign on where it sounds like they're flipping the transmitter on, right in the middle of a song.

I am particularly enamored with the swap shop clip. That is one thick accent. "Pig-eh-lee-Wig-eh-lee" cracks me up every time. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Zach
    I got the OK to post the clips. Here's a link directly the WSLV data page on my site where the mp3s are available for download.

Here's what's been uploaded:

• A long commercial break for local businesses from around 4pm.
    • A segment of jock banter pushing the streaming option, plus weather from out-of-market Birmingham TV meteorologist J-P Dice.
    • A 22 minute clip featuring a short break, followed by the swap shop show. It's a hoot!
    • A quick imaging sample.
    • A long jingle that appears to be a mix of a 60's-era sun WSLV jingle edited to what may be an ABC Classic Country jingle.
    • And finally, the sign on where it sounds like they're flipping the transmitter on, right in the middle of a song.

I am particularly enamored with the swap shop clip. That is one thick accent. "Pig-eh-lee-Wig-eh-lee" cracks me up every time. ;D
    I miss being able to tune in this kind of radio.
    As someone who has always lived near Chicago, I used to be able to hear stations like this, but they're gone now.
    Whe I traveled I always tuned around to find stations that sound like this.
    They are in and FROM an actual place, they don't sound like a disemebodied satellite voice that could be from anywhere.
    I won't call it bad. Heck, that Chevy 350 and trans for $500 sounds like a good deal.
    Valparaiso Technical Institute 1982, Analog engineer, AM pt 15, inventor with 2 issued patents, former SW pirate. Now offering antique radio repair/restoration and alignment.&nbsp; Stop just wishing that old radio worked!<br />AM1620 podcasts -&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://thomasjwells.podomatic.com/

We all have our Mom and Pop horror stories. Live and locally owned was not so great after all.
    Actually there are several so called mom and pop stations that actually do well revenue wise. They might not be a Kiss Fm or Z100 but they serve their market well.

Polished..nah..fun to listen to yes.

wouldn't trade for the world all the great tacky but fun mom and pop stations I worked for.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

nocomradio

WLSA-FM in Louisa, Virginia, now WOJL was a candidate for a poor-at-best sounding station.

CD's skipping for an hour or more, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, long gaps between the end of a song and the DJ either cueing up a new tune or talking (anywhere from 3-10 minutes many times) audio that sounded much like the DJ was sitting across the room from the mic, and general conversation in the studio over the open mic while music was playing were the norm.

They played some decent early country from time to time, but they really needed some polishing, and a source of music. I remember hearing them playing a CD in its entirety of country hits of the late 60's. I had the exact CD and knew it well, so hearing it played song for song over the air was 'kinda funny.

I also recall one DJ on Saturday nights who sounded like he'd been drinking or otherwise impaired every time he'd pop on and try to make an announcement.

It was very entertaining though.

Sounds like WSLV is running a "Legends of Country" satellite feed from somebody... just without the computer or carts to fire any IDs or commercials. (9:30 central time Monday morning)

I wonder what time people show up at the station? Obviously that's when the fun REALLY starts.

It didn't take me long to find the website, but if you want to listen and giggle along, it's http://www.wslvradio.com/. Their latest Twitter update, posted on the page, from 19 days ago, was:

"what's happening"

8) This promises to be more fun than I've had listening to radio in YEARS... maybe decades!! Thanks so much for pointing them out!

UPDATE: ...ah, during the silence between the stopset and the song, where I an ID should have gone, I could hear a nice 60-cycle hum... ;D (I hear some distortion, but I don't know if that's on the air or if they're just overloading the input of their streamer; I can cut them some slack for that, so many of the "big boys" still can't set a computer input level...)
    The 80s Greatest Hits: http://BlackLightRadio.com

And how many of you worked for "Mom and Pop" stations that were "AOR: All over the road", formatically?

I worked at a station that was A/C in the morning (with a morning guy who always opened his breaks with "Good Mornin', Darlin'"!)

Middays, they were a more bright A/C until 1 pm, when the station went to beautiful music for 3 hours.

At 4 pm, they were country...at 7 pm, they were rock and roll for the kids at the local college.

Oh yeah, at 9 am, they simulcast with the local cable tv company, an hour long women's talk show called "Ladies Line"!

Was I surprised when it went bankrupt and was sold to another owner? Not, really...

Generally, the worst-sounding stations I've heard are Spanish language stations. They have all the symptoms of bad stations: loud hums and buzzes, mics left open for several songs at a time, sometimes cassette/CD players are held up to the microphone.

Years ago, I encountered an AOR station that put its night/weekend music and talk breaks on reels. They played the same reels in the same order every night for several weeks. If the reels ran out or broke down: dead air.

I love the swap-and-shop shows. We have a couple on country/farm rimshots around here. "Hello? Yeah, I got here a 1981 Dodge pickup, floorboard rusted through, uh, a gun rack, and a yellow lamp. Lookin' for $150 for the set, or a motor for my boat." Unfortunately, craigslist has made the radio swap show obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob
    Generally, the worst-sounding stations I've heard are Spanish language stations. They have all the symptoms of bad stations: loud hums and buzzes, mics left open for several songs at a time, sometimes cassette/CD players are held up to the microphone.
    Strange. You must be in a very small Hispanic market. The Spanish language formats I am familiar with sound very good. This is probably due to the fact that the Hispanic-targeted segment of the radio market is doing better in general than the overall market and still has professional, and sometimes brilliant, technical staffs.

And I've never, even in smaller markets, heard the sort of stuff you describe.

And you, obviously, have never heard stations like KLVE, WSKQ, WRUM, WKAQ, WPRM, etc., either.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRob
    Strange. You must be in a very small Hispanic market. The Spanish language formats I am familiar with sound very good. This is probably due to the fact that the Hispanic-targeted segment of the radio market is doing better in general than the overall market and still has professional, and sometimes brilliant, technical staffs.

And I've never, even in smaller markets, heard the sort of stuff you describe.

And you, obviously, have never heard stations like KLVE, WSKQ, WRUM, WKAQ, WPRM, etc., either.
    I can assure the small flea power AM on the outskirts of town that's doing Spanish language programming is nothing like KLVE or WPRM. I know what TheRob is talking about and I've heard it around Birmingham and north Alabama where the only Spanish stuff is on rimshot low power AMs.

It tends to be less open mic gaffes and more skipping CDs and general overmodulation, problems that aren't all that uncommon on ANY small AM these days, sadly.

On the other hand, the ones I've heard (and I don't speak Spanish) sound live and local a lot of the time which is more than I can say for Typical Corporate Radio.

Yes, 1kw AM only, and one of them was a daytimer.

Even though something like 9% of the population speaks Spanish here, it hasn't caught up with radio. The budgets are tiny and it shows on the air. They are definitely the worst-sounding stations around here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast