• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWMI AM-1380 Radio Disney

Bordon?

AM 1380 started out as WBOX-AM 1370, moving to 1380 with a call letter change to WTSP in 1939 and finally to WLCY in 1959. The WLCY call letters came about because then program director Marshall Cleaver wanted to name the station after the Bordon Milk cow - Elsie (LCY pronounced sounds like Elsie. As it turned out Bordon never trademarked the name Elsie so WLCY was free to use the Elsie name).

I have never heard of Bordon milk. I have, however, heard of Borden Milk who had a mascot named Elsie. ;) [To keep it radio related, I do remember hearing ads on the radio for Borden products.]

I have never heard of Bordon milk. I have, however, heard of Borden Milk who had a mascot named Elsie. ;) [To keep it radio related, I do remember hearing ads on the radio for Borden products.]

Sorry, I misspelled Borden as Bordon. Yes, WLCY was called "Elsie Radio" for a while after first adopting the WLCY call letters.

AM 1380 started out as WBOX-AM 1370, moving to 1380 with a call letter change to WTSP in 1939 and finally to WLCY in 1959. The WLCY call letters came about because then program director Marshall Cleaver wanted to name the station after the Bordon Milk cow - Elsie (LCY pronounced sounds like Elsie. As it turned out Bordon never trademarked the name Elsie so WLCY was free to use the Elsie name).

Thanks for the info and history; very interesting.......all I can say is my, how the mighty have fallen......both radio and newspaper.

Merry Christmas to all!

Sorry, I misspelled Borden as Bordon. Yes, WLCY was called "Elsie Radio" for a while after first adopting the WLCY call letters.

Vaguely remember them using "Elsie Radio" as a kid when I was growing up. The two stations I recall listening to the most were WLCY and WSUN [and WWBA for the beautiful music when my grandpa came to visit] till I moved away in 1970. The radio landscape was starting to change when I moved back in 1982 and ended up working for a station for a few months till they reneged on the contract and I walked away.

The WBOX call letters were never used. WTSP went on the air on 1370 and moved to 1380 on March 29, 1941, as part of a nationwide realignment of frequencies.

OK, ya'll know the theme song....Now it's time to say goodbye to all our family. M-I-C.....Won't see you real soon..... K-E-Y...Why? Because corporate screwed us.... G-O-N-E-R

According to fccdata.com WBOX has only ever been on a 92.9 in Varnado, LA (now WBOX-FM) and now on an daytimer AM on 920 in Bogalusa, LA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom