• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

QUESTION: (attn: WVEE, WWWQ, WHTA, WWVA, and whoever else it may concern)

Wildstyle K

Star Participant
QUESTION:

I'm wondering if there are any stations in Atlanta who AT THE LEAST plays these songs / artists in their mix shows:

Dj Class - I'm the ish
Clinton Sparks ft Jermaine Dupri - Favorite DJ
Fareast Movement - Like A G6
LMFAO ft Lil Jon - Shots
Birdman - written on her
Dj Mad - Put your drinks up
Chelley - took the night
Pitbull - Hotel room service

..and other Electro Hip Hop & Urban Dance hits & remixes of r&b, hip hop & urban pop)? And if not, then why not? And no, demographics cannot be used this time as an excuse to deny this type of sound. I'm also wondering if anyone would consider at least trying a mixshow segment playing urban dance or baltimore club music? I mean, it's about time that someone dared to try something different (especially if many other stations across the U.S. with similar formats are doing it) instead of just sticking with the same ol' same ol' formula and adding to the sea of sameness. After all, if no one wants to change anything or try something new, then how can anyone expect things to change? I'm thinking that if there will never be a proper rhythmic or top 40 to deliver this sound, then at least one of the urbans could at least try an urban version of this sound on one of their stations. If booty bass worked in the past, then I'm sure today's modern urban dance and baltimore club music COULD work. We don't necessarily have to wait for a proper rhythmic or top 40 to come along to do this since... well, that sound is URBAN dance, and I doubt that Atlanta is the only place where URBAN dance would not work. I'm absolutely positive that this type of thing CAN work - IF it were given a chance, and I'm also pretty sure that "OMG" by Usher is not the only urban dance / electro hip hop song in the world that can make it in Atl.

It's about time to let go of being basic and mundane and start shaking things up a bit, radio-wise here on the top 40/rhythmic & even urban side of things. Many of the formats that exist today exist because past stations in areas that didn't "have it all" were brave enough to do "outside the box" things and try something different and became successful with it to the point that the followers copied & imitated the style. RHYTHMIC is one of those formats (that, surprisingly enough, stemmed from URBAN's who added in appropriate dance material..).

Just something to think about...
__________________________________________________________________________________/

By the way, I'm glad that my radio formatting predictions also seem to come true when it comes to east coast formatting, just as well as the west coast.

KDM 7000 said:
They really should've just went current top 40 and waited on the Rhythmic AC. I see them doing well by default as a new & exciting station, but struggling to navigate this type of format and keep halfway decent ratings within the next year or two without some tweekage of the playlist...

I know for a fact that LMAO f/ Lil Jon "Shots" is played in the mix on Urban AC Majic 107.5/97.5 when they do the Friday night live club broadcast. V-103 often plays DJ Class "Issh" during mixshows when Tae Rock is mixing. Birdman's song was popular on 95.5 The Beat when it first came out.

Thanks. In addition to hopefully bringing a new idea to light, I was also hoping that I'd find out about a few other stations and things I wasn't aware of or didn't know much about (Such as Majic and their mixshow). I know the Birdman song "died", but just threw it in there as an extra example of what type of sound I was describing. I think it's time that one station (and not Q100) decided to do an afterhourz program with electro-hip hop and urban dance, even if it's a weekly two hour program at or after midnight.

I remember back when WHTA started doing the 12 o clock meltdown in late 2001, featuring booty bass remixes of r&b songs every Monday night at 12 am. I'm not sure how long that lasted since I left Atl shortly afterwards, but unlike booty bass, which was in its dying stages at that time, electro hip hop and urban house is the new / next big thing right now and should not be 100% ignored outside of Usher's OMG. Even the home town artists of Atl are jumping on it. I know New York's Hot 97 is rhythmic and WHTA is not, but I've noticed Hot 97 New York has done some Baltimore Club stuff and it would be nice to have someone in Atl actually have a specialty show for it. Who knows how far this idea could go if it takes off. This is the way most original successful syndicated programs start off...

KDM 7000 said:
Does Atlanta have a Hot Urban AC?

Next time you're in town, scan the dial.

KDM 7000 said:
Does Atlanta have a Hot Urban AC?

What a loaded question. If we say yes you will write a 1,000 word essay on how said station can not be considered Hot Urban AC because they don't play the 24th most popular Hot Urban AC song in Phoenix.

If we say no you will write yet another 1,000 word essay on how Atlanta needs one because Phoenix and L.A. does. All of your posts are the same they are just interchangable words focusing on what Atlanta doesn't have.

You are literally killing this board by dominating it with the same message rehased and rehashed again.

WE GET IT. WE ARE NOT PHOENIX. WE ARE JUST LITTLE PODUNK CITY IN THE SOUTH UNWORTHY OF THE MUSICAL APPETITES OF PHOENIX. HOW CAN WE EVER SHOW OUR FACE AGAIN.

Right on, RTibbs.

RTibbs said:
You are literally killing this board by dominating it with the same message rehased and rehashed again.

Good. Well I'm hoping eventually someone gets the message and acts upon it, preferably BEFORE I have to live there. A bunch of people passive aggressively addressing the issue for years doesn't seem to be doing anything. I, however, am serious about getting a certain sound there, ESPECIALLY when it has been proven that it could work in the past, but someone somewhere is just CHOOSING not to let it happen...

The "does Atlanta have a Hot Urban AC?" requires a simple "yes" or "no", and then I'd go research it for myself. YOU are the one who actually made it more than it was (in addition to attempting to take it out of context).

It's also plain and simple. If you don't like the posts, then don't read them. I never understood how people can do something they don't like then get upset with someone else because they did it. It's a free country, and there is no law or commandment I'm aware of stating that "You MUST read his posts, or else....". It's extremely simple. You think you're not going to like what I say based on past experiencet, then don't read it. Just also make sure you do not attempt to reply specifically to anything you don't read because you will not know what you're talking about. And, if you're so territorial and have a problem with "outsiders" coming in (and talking about "your" city), then shouldn't you be at the airport yelling at people rather than on these boards? Because.. I mean, there are much more people coming physically through those concourses.... who will all have verbal opinions, by the way.. and I'd say that that's much more than me simply writing a rehashed message on an open forum... just saying.....

And lastly, It is funny how I'm "killing this board", yet you enter and you only see ONE topic STARTED by me (the rest are REPLIES you must search for to find).

-> It's about taking / accepting constructive criticism and using it as a tool to positively work on / fix whatever easy to solve problem exists. NOT sitting back passive aggressively and getting upset with the one pointing out the flaws ESPECIALLY WHEN you yourself have complained about the precise same thing.

KDM 7000 said:
RTibbs said:

Good. Well I'm hoping eventually someone gets the message and acts upon it, preferably BEFORE I have to live there. A bunch of people passive aggressively addressing the issue for years doesn't seem to be doing anything. I, however, am serious about getting a certain sound there, ESPECIALLY when it has been proven that it could work in the past, but someone somewhere is just CHOOSING not to let it happen...

-> It's about taking / accepting constructive criticism and using it as a tool to positively work on / fix whatever easy to solve problem exists. NOT sitting back passive aggressively and getting upset with the one pointing out the flaws ESPECIALLY WHEN you yourself have complained about the precise same thing.

It is very simple. Phoenix has a “completive” market. By completive I mean more the 8 market covering FM signals. Most stations there have a direct competor. Atlanta for it size has fewest market covering signals for its population of any market I have studied. If you do not have worry about another station messing with your audience you do not have to be “good”. The only thing the companies that run our stations care about is $$$. Unless a format can generate massive revenue it will not be heard on an Atlanta FM. The only way you can change Atlanta Radio is to buy 94.1 at a ridiculous price. This is impossible for any of us radio veterans on this board because; if you work in radio chances are you are not a millionaire.

secondchoice said:
It is very simple. Phoenix has a “completive” market. By completive I mean more the 8 market covering FM signals. Most stations there have a direct competor. Atlanta for it size has fewest market covering signals for its population of any market I have studied. If you do not have worry about another station messing with your audience you do not have to be “good”. The only thing the companies that run our stations care about is $$$. Unless a format can generate massive revenue it will not be heard on an Atlanta FM. The only way you can change Atlanta Radio is to buy 94.1 at a ridiculous price. This is impossible for any of us radio veterans on this board because; if you work in radio chances are you are not a millionaire.

See, now that is the appropriate type of response and talk here. Very well done and professionally detailed and explained. The main point in many of my posts are the simple fact that anything can happen (based on past experience, we all know this here) so it's best to throw an idea out there if you have one, never knowing who might see and act on it... because, why?

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

But, I'll also say, I think it's time that we start caring about more than just the money in this type of industry. What about working together, coming up with solid suggestions for improvements, and making things a little more fun instead of continuously sitting around as an individual person and complaining about how horrible and boring everything as w whole is? The listener is not going to protest or scream for change - they will (whether willingly or unwillingly) take whatever they get (which does not mean you should not be the best you can be if you CAN do better..). It's up to the people in radio land to change the game and make things more desirable, whether it be the PD, owner, music director...etc. In the end, we are all humans, and I'm pretty sure ALL humans working together can make a change, even if it's a slight change. You cannot sit back and just accept "this is how it is", let it be without saying anything, then wonder why it is the way it is. Anyway, that's just my way of thinking. I may not please everyone when I speak, but at least what I have to say is out in the open for someone to possibly consider. Since I currently have the freedom to speak up without fear of losing anything, I might as well.

KDM 7000 said:
RTibbs said:

Evil people are preventing Atlantans from hearing Hot AC is now the all-time number 2 conspiracy theory in Atlanta radio history behind only Howard Stern was banned from Atlanta radio by Jesse Helms.

Also, you are attempting to change the FM radio dial in preparation of you return to Atlanta? Is that kind of like the preachers preparing people for Jesus' return to earth?

[/quote]

The "does Atlanta have a Hot Urban AC?" requires a simple "yes" or "no", and then I'd go research it for myself. YOU are the one who actually made it more than it was (in addition to attempting to take it out of context).

[/quote]

Go to the Ratings area it lists the stations by format. You can find your answer there.

[/quote]

It's also plain and simple. If you don't like the posts, then don't read them. I never understood how people can do something they don't like then get upset with someone else because they did it. It's a free country, and there is no law or commandment I'm aware of stating that "You MUST read his posts, or else....". It's extremely simple. You think you're not going to like what I say based on past experiencet, then don't read it. Just also make sure you do not attempt to reply specifically to anything you don't read because you will not know what you're talking about. And, if you're so territorial and have a problem with "outsiders" coming in (and talking about "your" city), then shouldn't you be at the airport yelling at people rather than on these boards? Because.. I mean, there are much more people coming physically through those concourses.... who will all have verbal opinions, by the way.. and I'd say that that's much more than me simply writing a rehashed message on an open forum... just saying.....

[/quote]

I am personally unaware of the masses of humanity that flow through the airport that are constantly telling us in as many words as possible what is wrong with our city.

[/quote]

And lastly, It is funny how I'm "killing this board", yet you enter and you only see ONE topic STARTED by me (the rest are REPLIES you must search for to find).

[/quote]

Just because you do not start threads does not mean you do not take them over with your Hot AC Manifesto.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, it's not ALL about me returning there (possibly) although the news about my opportunity in Atl. did definitely help push me into getting more serious about the situation. Notice I've been speaking about it even before I knew I may be returning. Regardless of whether or not I'm coming back, the point is the problems still exist. Apparently, something can be done better if other people are continuing to complain about the situation... Of course I'm not going to go to the L.A. or Detroit...etc. areas and talk about improving when they are pretty much "on point".

As the people in the Phoenix and Dance sections have already learned, I'm not one to just sit back and shut up in silence and let things be, then complain about it. If I have something to say or idea to present, it will be said and done in FULL, PRECISE detail, and I dare anyone to take my full, precise detailed thorough posts (on any forum) out of context.

KDM 7000 said:
Good. Well I'm hoping eventually someone gets the message and acts upon it, preferably BEFORE I have to live there.

Suggest you stay in Phoenix, with high Hispanic population which can support the type music you want to hear on the radio.

As for your earlier question

Dj Class - I'm the ish - WHTA
Clinton Sparks ft Jermaine Dupri - Favorite DJ - No one – use iTunes.
Fareast Movement - Like A G6 – Q100
LMFAO ft Lil Jon – Shots – WHTA,Q100,V103,WAMJ
Birdman - written on her – Q100
Dj Mad - Put your drinks up – No, use iTunes
Chelley - took the night – Q100
Pitbull - Hotel room service – Q100,WAMJ

Kabrich said:
KDM 7000 said:
Good. Well I'm hoping eventually someone gets the message and acts upon it, preferably BEFORE I have to live there.

Suggest you stay in Phoenix, with high Hispanic population which can support the type music you want to hear on the radio.

As for your earlier question

Dj Class - I'm the ish - WHTA
Clinton Sparks ft Jermaine Dupri - Favorite DJ - No one – use iTunes.
Fareast Movement - Like A G6 – Q100
LMFAO ft Lil Jon – Shots – WHTA,Q100,V103,WAMJ
Birdman - written on her – Q100
Dj Mad - Put your drinks up – No, use iTunes
Chelley - took the night – Q100
Pitbull - Hotel room service – Q100,WAMJ

Thanks.

That's what I wanted to know.

Normally, that type of sound I mentioned only needs ONE station with good mixshow programming and dj's for all of them to be heard, which, in most cases, is the rhythmic station.

Hmmm looks like... at the least, this ONE suggestion I brought to the table can easily be done - without too much effort. It's not like we need any new stations or anything... once again, I'm "just sayin'".

RTibbs said:
KDM 7000 said:
RTibbs said:

Evil people are preventing Atlantans from hearing Hot AC is now the all-time number 2 conspiracy theory in Atlanta radio history behind only Howard Stern was banned from Atlanta radio by Jesse Helms.

Also, you are attempting to change the FM radio dial in preparation of you return to Atlanta?  Is that kind of like the preachers preparing people for Jesus' return to earth?

Go to the Ratings area it lists the stations by format. You can find your answer there.

It's also plain and simple. If you don't like the posts, then don't read them. I never understood how people can do something they don't like then get upset with someone else because they did it. It's a free country, and there is no law or commandment I'm aware of stating that "You MUST read his posts, or else....". It's extremely simple. You think you're not going to like what I say based on past experiencet, then don't read it. Just also make sure you do not attempt to reply specifically to anything you don't read because you will not know what you're talking about. And, if you're so territorial and have a problem with "outsiders" coming in (and talking about "your" city), then shouldn't you be at the airport yelling at people rather than on these boards? Because.. I mean, there are much more people coming physically through those concourses.... who will all have verbal opinions, by the way..  and I'd say that that's much more than me simply writing a rehashed message on an open forum... just saying.....

I am personally unaware of the masses of humanity that flow through the airport that are constantly telling us in as many words as possible what is wrong with our city.

Just because you do not start threads does not mean you do not take them over with your Hot AC Manifesto.

Actually, I just noticed there was more going on here in this quoting insanity than I first saw. Looks like even when I post in full, precise detail, it's still not always enough, so let me break it down one by one and explain with as many words as it will take to clarify (and somehow it's a mystery why I don't stick to simple one liner posts of vague or incomplete sentences that can easily be misinterpreted or taken out of context..)

#1. "Evil people are preventing Atlantans from hearing Hot AC is now the all-time number 2 conspiracy theory in Atlanta radio history behind only Howard Stern was banned from Atlanta radio by Jesse Helms."

I'm assuming that this is directed towards my "ESPECIALLY when it has been proven that it could work in the past, but someone somewhere is just CHOOSING not to let it happen..." sentence.

CLARIFICATION:
Q100 became successful in the first place by being a traditional top 40 sound BEFORE it was "changed up" (and even almost let Star*94 retake the lead in ratings). (In other words, that is where the "worked in the past" comes in). NOW, the current owners are choosing not to let the overall sound of the station go back to "their roots", back to when they truly sounded more like a CHR instead of somewhat AC. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work -because obviously BOTH stations went more CHR rhythmic sounding IN EFFORTS TOWARDS being the better one.. This is not conspiracy theory, THIS IS PRECISELY WHAT'S GOING ON. And like it's already been said on here, due to no direct competition, they don't have to be the best they can be if they don't want to. (this is where the "Choosing not to let it happen comes into play). If this research is incorrect and none of this is happening / has happened at all, feel free to correct it with documents to explain why I should believe differently.

#2 "Also, you are attempting to change the FM radio dial in preparation of you return to Atlanta?  Is that kind of like the preachers preparing people for Jesus' return to earth?"

CLARIFICATION:
I've already explained that in a previous post.

#3 "Go to the Ratings area it lists the stations by format. You can find your answer there."

CLARIFICATION:
The reason why I asked here is pretty self explanatory. You go to the ratings area and see if all the listings are accurate. Google it as well and see if their listings are accurate as well. Then, ask yourself "is it easier to google inaccurate information or check ratings and hypothesize which one is / has been updated more correctly, or ask other people who could give you more accurate information on specific formatting right away?" You'll most likely arrive to the same answer I came to as the best choice.

#4 "I am personally unaware of the masses of humanity that flow through the airport that are constantly telling us in as many words as possible what is wrong with our city."

Oh well. That still doesn't make me posting about Atlanta Radio in the Atlanta radio section, sharing ideas, and using Phoenix, Detroit, L.A....etc as an example a sin

#5 "Just because you do not start threads does not mean you do not take them over with your Hot AC Manifesto."

...I don't know really what to say in response to this, so to conserve time, I'll just let it pass.

#6 -> "It's about taking / accepting constructive criticism and using it as a tool to positively work on / fix whatever easy to solve problem exists. NOT sitting back passive aggressively and getting upset with the one pointing out the flaws ESPECIALLY WHEN you yourself have complained about the precise same thing."

CLARIFICATION:
....  :) This was the part that I was hoping to be the most understood out of all I've written  :)  I'm glad I was successful at achieving this goal. No further explanation necessary.

??..And Hot AC??? Where did I ever preach FOR, or say a Hot AC was being "prevented"? All my posts and Bermuda Triangle talk, explained in full detail by the way, have been about a TRADITIONAL TOP 40 OR RHYTHMIC! There was only one SMALL, short one liner question about a HOT AC.

Since I've already explained everything I had to say in full, precise detail about the nature of my posts, I have nothing more to say regarding this specific issue, so I am done with that particular topic. If we want to talk about how to make improvements instead of "suffering and complaining", I'm open to discuss. Anything else, you'll be talking amongst yourselves.

Hey KDM, this stuff is way too important to you. I'm guessing you're at that age where life revolves around the next song you hear on the radio. This board has no shortage of faux dilettantes who act like they can't take a crap without a soundtrack but you take the cake. Typical mix jock mentality. No one is adjusting format because you're pulling into town. You've gone on more about this than Obama did about healthcare.

Who wants to know said:
Hey KDM, this stuff is way too important to you. I'm guessing you're at that age where life revolves around the next song you hear on the radio. This board has no shortage of faux dilettantes who act like they can't take a crap without a soundtrack but you take the cake. Typical mix jock mentality. No one is adjusting format because you're pulling into town. You've gone on more about this than Obama did about healthcare.

In regards to the soundtrack comment, I agree partially. Other than that, you're missing a point somewhere in there. I believe (as I've stated somewhere before) that the board is more about people with a passion for radio and how it works, but not necessarily the music itself. I happen to have a deep passion for both (similar to an architect who might also have the same passion for tools - and studies both, equally). Most people really don't care specifically about the music. Anyway, that's somewhat besides the point. As for what I'm pushing for, it's more about a town where it hasn't happened for a long time, despite all the talk. Then it happens - SUCCESSFULLY, but is stopped again. So far, I'm the only one who is getting it tattoed in people's brains that maybe someone should try it again. Unlike Obama, I can't just go in and make it happen regardless of whether or not people want it. However, I can surely finally come out and suggest certain stations liven up themselves. The jokes are good, but eventually it's time to get serious. Do you think anyone will take the B98.5 jokes seriously if they all come across as jokes? This is not Family Guy where people try to subtly point things out and pass it off ha ha ha as a joke. I'll straight up come out and say "Somethings wrong. A bunch of people are saying something's wrong. You know something's wrong and you could work on it if you wanted. So, what are you going to do?"

Don't confuse my one suggestion about electro hip hop or house as it being only about me getting what I want. I just used that as one example of a different, new idea. What I'm suggesting is probably only 20-25% of what I'd REALLY want personally. I don't think a traditional Rhythmic OR rhythmic top 40 (notice the "or") in Atl. is that crazy of an idea. I'm not sure what WiLD's deal was, but Susquehanna and The Beat programmers, apparently, did not either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom