• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should WGST even move to FM?

WGST has been so poorly run and had so many things against it for so long, would it even be smart to simulcast it on FM? Would that help it? I think the problems go much deeper than the signal.

I was thinking, maybe if CC wants to do news/talk, they should launch a new talk station on FM in Atlanta like Rush Radio in New Orleans, Raleigh, Greensboro, etc. I think the WGST brand and its reputation as a n/t station is ruined and Clear would be smart to just start all over. 640 could simulcast the new talk format (but what would the point be?) or perhaps put a Spanish format or something else on the AM.

Any thoughts? Keep the talk shows currently on WGST, but get a fresh start on a new signal with a little more localization.

That's probably the best thing they could do at this point. The WGST brand is so tarnished, they need a new start. I think they should keep most of their current shows but by moving to the FM dial, they might actually be able to launch a live, local morning drive show that could compete with WSB. Hell, they could even do a live, local PM drive show to better compete with Hannity.

This all makes too much sense so don't count on it happening. ???

If CC really wants to put a news/talker on FM, then they should just forget about the WGST branding and name it either "Rush Radio" or "Newstalk". The FM talker can be live/local all day (with the exception of Rush and C2C) while the AM side get be all syndicated. In Salt Lake City, CC has 2 news/talkers in the market - 105.7 KNRS, which is top-rated with a local show on the lineup, and 570 KACP, which is all syndicated.

Yeah, the WGST branding probably needs to be left behind (but I would put those calls on the new FM talker, though).

I bet Clear could get Hannity from WSB with Premiere. They did it in Greensboro and Raleigh along with Rush, C2C, etc. I bet they could do something with a local morning show, Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, Dave Ramsey, C2C on a solid FM signal. If they launched a new FM talker, I'd do it on one of the 100kw FM's. That may be what it takes to have any serious competition with WSB -- not just slapping a 640 simulcast on one of the 105's.

I don't know about a separate talk lineup on AM, but perhaps they could do a second Spanish format on 640? Just a thought.

Keep the WGST calls, but go with the "Rush Radio" branding.

I would guess that CC/Premiere has Hannity on WSB because it's more profitable for CC. Hannity on 640 after 5 PM in winter won't sell--heck, 640's a hard enough sell as it is.

If CC wants to start simulcasting WGST on FM, now is the time to do it--not after everyone has found something else to listen to when the sun's not up during winter drivetime.

CC could start with a Smerconish/Beck/Limbaugh/Hannity lineup. If that works, then they could partner with a TV station (5, 11, or 46) to do a local morning news show and dump Smerconish, or just run the 8 AM hour. It's just not worth it for 640 to do anything outside of 9 to 5.

Clear Channel already has Quinn and Rose available for syndication in the AM. That show is doing very well in the AM in Pittsburgh, against some formidable competition. And even when it was only locally broadcast, it was never a "local" show. It has break points for local weather and traffic content.

Clear Channel will not do a "RUSH Radio" until they can get all three of the Premier shows (Beck/Rush/Hannity) and Hannity's contract is not up at WSB until 2013.

radioworld said:
Clear Channel will not do a "RUSH Radio" until they can get all three of the Premier shows (Beck/Rush/Hannity) and Hannity's contract is not up at WSB until 2013.
Well they had just as well throw in the towel....I don't see how WGST can last until 2013 in its current state. If they wanted to do it bad enough, I'm sure they could get Hannity from WSB, would probably require a large payout though.

However, Rush 94.5 in Greensboro was launched without Hannity. Any kind of talk anywhere else is going to get them more success than 640.

carolinaradio said:
radioworld said:
Well they had just as well throw in the towel....I don't see how WGST can last until 2013 in its current state. If they wanted to do it bad enough, I'm sure they could get Hannity from WSB, would probably require a large payout though.

However, Rush 94.5 in Greensboro was launched without Hannity. Any kind of talk anywhere else is going to get them more success than 640.

The number one or two station giving up a key property like Hannity so their competitor can have them? Unless CC wants to trade them 94.9 for Hannity I don't see that happening.

If this was a couple of years ago CC would have bought 94.1 (which is kind of for sale). Of course CC would have to put one or both of the 105’s in the Aloha Trust. I do not think CC has the $$ now. Putting talk in FM seems to be the in thing now. Will the talk demos in Atlanta be enough to make up for the lost young “money demos” that keeps Project, Star, and Dave going? I can understand putting talk on a “dog” FM. Will Cox increase WSB’s billing enough to off set the loss of the 95.5 revenue? Was the 95.5 a dog?

secondchoice said:
If this was a couple of years ago CC would have bought 94.1 (which is kind of for sale). Of course CC would have to put one or both of the 105’s in the Aloha Trust. I do not think CC has the $$ now. Putting talk in FM seems to be the in thing now. Will the talk demos in Atlanta be enough to make up for the lost young “money demos” that keeps Project, Star, and Dave going? I can understand putting talk on a “dog” FM. Will Cox increase WSB’s billing enough to off set the loss of the 95.5 revenue? Was the 95.5 a dog?

Hey, I'll use any opportunity to promote my blog. This week is part 1 of the WSB story. Next week, I tell my thoughts on that specific question. The link is http://www.atlairwaves.blogspot.com.

secondchoice said:

Was WBTS a dog? Absolutely not.

You fail to take into consideration that WSB-AM has at least 2x the commercial avails of WBTS. There are literally no added expense either, and you remove millions in other expenses of WBTS. You also remove ASCAP, BMI and streaming fees - not to mention any future PRA fees, which is another major factor that goes into any decision to change to a non-music format.

It doesn't matter what the revenue of WBTS was. It only matters how much goes to the bottom line.

Will Cox increase WSB-AM's billing enough to offset the loss of 95.5 Revenue? A very quick rough "back of the envelope" calculation indicate if the price of every commercial increases for the simulcast by somewhat less than $10, it would at least break even (break even = zero change in bottom line profit from when WBTS existed). Increase every spot airing $10 or more and its a home run.

Kabrich said:
A very quick rough "back of the envelope" calculation indicate if the price of every commercial increases for the simulcast by somewhat less than $10, it would at least break even (break even = zero change in bottom line profit from when WBTS existed). Increase every spot airing $10 or more and its a home run.

Hell, if they can just sell more ads, it will be an improvement to the bottom line. Lately a fair number of evening drive-time traffic reports had been going without sponsorship on WSB AM. I haven't listened enough to the FM side at the same times of day to see if that has improved any, but when you can't sell out the traffic reports, that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yes, I am implying that ad-stuffed WSB needs to sell even more ads. Of course I question my own sanity on a daily basis. They could also, you know, reduce the number of spots and raise rates for the more exclusive remainders. They won't. But they could.

Nice insight on the reduced music licensing costs. They also axed most or all of the 95.5 FM staff in the move and all programming is being done by the AM people, none of whom are being paid any extra certainly. Cox just saved a bunch of recurring costs with this flip. Minus out some short-run media buys to promote it which may or may not be bartered and they still seem to come out ahead.

carolinaradio said:
radioworld said:
Clear Channel will not do a "RUSH Radio" until they can get all three of the Premiere shows... and Hannity's contract is not up at WSB until 2013.
Well they had just as well throw in the towel... If they wanted to do it bad enough, I'm sure they could get Hannity from WSB, would probably require a large payout though...

I'm sure if CC could find a good local afternoon host, they could do well. They don't necessarily need Hannity to succeed. Beck is exceeding Hannity in popularity. And many complain that Hannity has the same recycled schtick, show in and show out.

Or would CC not take a chance on a local afternoon host, not due to a money issue, but for fear that it might actually do better (or as good as) Hannity on WSB?

DToTheJ said:
carolinaradio said:
radioworld said:
Clear Channel will not do a "RUSH Radio" until they can get all three of the Premiere shows... and Hannity's contract is not up at WSB until 2013.
Well they had just as well throw in the towel... If they wanted to do it bad enough, I'm sure they could get Hannity from WSB, would probably require a large payout though...

I'm sure if CC could find a good local afternoon host, they could do well. They don't necessarily need Hannity to succeed. Beck is exceeding Hannity in popularity. And many complain that Hannity has the same recycled schtick, show in and show out.

Or would CC not take a chance on a local afternoon host, not due to a money issue, but for fear that it might actually do better (or as good as) Hannity on WSB?
Interesting. When Beck first came on the air, his show was BORRRRRING. Now he's entertaining to listen to, although sometimes Beck gets "out there" and conspiracyish--not as bad as Kook to Kook AM or Savage, but sometimes he does get a little "off his meds". Not sure what they did to the show or when they did it, as I didn't listen to him much during his "boring" years.

I also agree that Hannity is now a boring show due to the repetition and the parroting of GOP talking points (I may agree with them, but I don't need to hear them for the umpteenth time). He was a lot more fun when WGST had him live and local, and a lot more listenable on FM vs. Boortz on AM, especially in office buildings (that's a HINT, CC).

For the acid test on how well a local PM drive host would do on a WGST FM vs. Hannity, how well did the Kimmer do back in the day?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom