• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at 790 The Zone

Raydiohead said:
So, could it be possible that since 790 The Zone is out billing Star 94, LFM could possibly "flip" the two stations?

790 is not outbilling Star. Star has around 900,000 more listeners a week, and skews female. That alone gets them on far more national buys, and agency buys, at a much higher rate, than 790 could ever ask for with a straight face.

RadioNerd78 said:
Raydiohead said:
So, could it be possible that since 790 The Zone is out billing Star 94, LFM could possibly "flip" the two stations?

790 is not outbilling Star. Star has around 900,000 more listeners a week, and skews female. That alone gets them on far more national buys, and agency buys, at a much higher rate, than 790 could ever ask for with a straight face.

And in there maybe the secret. One station female, one station male broadens the advertising opportunities. Plus a combined sales force will save some money and any other back of the house savings they realize. Whether they outbill them or not I don't know but talk radio runs more spots on average and has more opportunity for segment sponsorships, like Dantanna's Rapid Fire, The QuikTrip Update Desk etc. so the Zone easily have far more dollars per listener than Star. I am sure Steakie and Salsa were forced to sell cheap to cover their debts but I am also sure they got them selves some nice 3 year guarantee contracts bennies.

Neil Millman said:
From GM to "Station Brand Manager" that sounds like a huge fall for Brisket.
"Station Brand Manager" = paid consultant to bridge the buyout and keep him off the market.

No, Tony Barnhart and Wes Durham. Saltzman was asked about it last week and did not respond.

I'll be curious to see how that show does. Wes and Tony are obviously very well respected...but there's a big difference in the written word and the spoken word (for Tony). Additionally, with Wes being the voice of 2 of the towns major teams...it'll be difficult for him, imo, to be at all controversial or divergent from the party line.

That said, with Mayhem running from 6-11, and Stews from 1-4...it'll only be a 2 hour show...

Just find it hard to believe either of those guys will offer much outside of football season. Of course, this show might only be designed to last through January, as was their fomer once-a-week show on Thursdays.

RadioNerd78 said:
I'll be curious to see how that show does. Wes and Tony are obviously very well respected...but there's a big difference in the written word and the spoken word (for Tony). Additionally, with Wes being the voice of 2 of the towns major teams...it'll be difficult for him, imo, to be at all controversial or divergent from the party line.

That said, with Mayhem running from 6-11, and Stews from 1-4...it'll only be a 2 hour show...

Just find it hard to believe either of those guys will offer much outside of football season. Of course, this show might only be designed to last through January, as was their fomer once-a-week show on Thursdays.

They always had a thrid wheel in there though running point like Dimino or Brandon? Did they not?

I know they did not lower power on time last night, 9/1/10 I tuned in after 8pm and they were running full power. Power down for Sept. is 7:45pm

They always had a thrid wheel in there though running point like Dimino or Brandon? Did they not?

That might be the way it goes...it seems like Dimino likes nothing more than to work, so if he's in there, it might be an alright show. This is probably the first show 790's aired since the departure of Chuck and Chernoff where I can't say anything bad about either guy! :)

amlover said:
I know they did not lower power on time last night, 9/1/10 I tuned in after 8pm and they were running full power. Power down for Sept. is 7:45pm

I have noticed that for several nights now. They also have not turned off the IBOC hiss machine. Their signal now completely masks WBBM Chicago which I usually tune in to at nights to hear the news.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom