• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBKF 87.7 Glen Arbor

travisl5678 said:
Does anyone know the format on KBKF 87.7 in Glen Arbor?

The KBKF-LD permit for Glen Arbor is for a Digital Companion Channel -- i.e., it will only be receivable on a digital TV set. (not an an analog radio, and not even on a HD radio)

However, that appears to be nearly the same site as KBKF-LP at San Jose, which is in fact an analog license, receivable on an FM radio.

What they're carrying I have no idea.

travisl5678 said:
Glen Arbor is in the Santa Cruz mountains near San Jose

A terribly underserved market. I'm surprised that no station stepped up and moved into Glen Arbor before this. It's about time!

Next: Cherryland!

Here in San Leandro and Hayward, I am picking up a radio station on 87.7. The RDS on my radios indicate "K-Love" and matches what I hear on 88.9. Can this be the station in Glen Arbor? If so, then this is a religious broadcaster.

I dont think that an LP would be able to 1. carry RDS and 2.Be strong enough to be heard that far away, Is their someone around San Jose that can check for us?

The KBKF licensee is Venture Technologies group, the same people that own 87.7 KSFV in the LA area. I don't recall if they even broadcast a picture on TV 6 but they had billboards advertising as a radio station on 87.7 FM. Looking at the FCC database, I could not locate any other records for 87.7 here in the Bay Area. I'll try to tune in at the top of the hour to see if they do an ID.

radiobernard said:
The KBKF licensee is Venture Technologies group, the same people that own 87.7 KSFV in the LA area. I don't recall if they even broadcast a picture on TV 6 but they had billboards advertising as a radio station on 87.7 FM. Looking at the FCC database, I could not locate any other records for 87.7 here in the Bay Area. I'll try to tune in at the top of the hour to see if they do an ID.

Spanish christian

Its been confirmed that KBKF is simply running K-Love (Thanks Radiobernard for the info)What a true waste! There also apperently running no picture, but strangly putting out an RDS read out (So I'm assuming that means RDS isn't regulated by the FCC)It looks like the station has appiled to go digital, which would make it useless as a Radio Station.

travisl5678 said:
Its been confirmed that KBKF is simply running K-Love (Thanks Radiobernard for the info)What a true waste! There also apperently running no picture, but strangly putting out an RDS read out (So I'm assuming that means RDS isn't regulated by the FCC)It looks like the station has appiled to go digital, which would make it useless as a Radio Station.

RDS is not regulated by the FCC.

A fair number of channel 6 LPTV stations seem to feel there's a loophole in the FCC LPTV regulations that exempts low-power stations from many of the technical standards that applied to full-power analog stations. With the warning that I'm an engineer, not a lawyer... by my reading of the regulations, the LPTV stations are right. RDS, FM stereo standards, and FM peak deviation all *appear* to be legal for the sound channels of analog LPTV stations. Of course, channel 6 is the only channel on which it makes any sense to do this!

I'm in Oakland this morning and picking it up just as good as any other San Jose FM, and with full RDS.It almost sounds better then 88.9 from SF. What a waste that the station runs K-Love, don't Santa Cruz AND San Jose both have K-love stations? I like to see Empire buy/lease it and make it KLIV-FM, maybe then they could put up a good fight to KCBS/KQED (KQED is now #2 in the SJ 12+ ratings)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom