• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Scooping Rodney Again

TheRealOtherNeil

Inactive
Inactive User
Dr. Laura announced on Larry King Live that she is ending her radio show at the end of her contract, which is the end of the year.

She told King, "The reason is I want to regain my First Amendment rights. I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I'm sort of done with that."

So she wants to use the N-word more often? I didn't realize that she lost her First Amendment rights.

Doesn't she own her own radio company? How do you sign a contract for yourself?

Also... Does anyone think Larry King writes his own tweets?

How can Larry write his own tweets when he tweeted while on the air talking to Dr Laura. I noticed that also last night. RIP OFF!! Larry needs to go!

ExNuYawker said:
How can Larry write his own tweets when he tweeted while on the air talking to Dr Laura. I noticed that also last night. RIP OFF!! Larry needs to go!

with Larry retiring I have the twitter account http://twitter.com/larrykingisms and brought the domain larrykingisms.com .... I could tweet things like "Sheboygan, Wisconsin, HELLO!".

gregg75 said:
Dr. Laura --is-- was a hater, spreading hate and should have gone long ago.

First of all... that is a very ignorant statement. Did you even hear the Dr. Laura audio in question? She was absolutely correct in what she said on-ar. It was taken out of context... but as a radio professional she should've known better. I don't blame her for bailing. Radio STINKS these days because you can't make a point or have an opinion without special interest groups wanting your head.

Good for you Laura for saying F U. Good luck.

as a radio professional she should've known better

I'd go as far as a saying she DID know better but she allowed her opinion (and pride) to control her mouth rather than listening to the little voice that says "uh uh uh...turning your car into oncoming traffic is counter productive." She could have come up with a hundred different ways of making her point..

I never enjoyed listening to her because I didn't agree with her opinions...her being on or off the air is no skin off my back..

I'm guessing her new book be entitled "10 stupid things I said on the air to mess up my life......um, one thing, actually"

You made a lot of assumptions there trhodes96........I wasn't talking about the N thing. I was talking in general. Dr. Laura has been a hater for years and years and years. Do some research.

trhodes96 said:
gregg75 said:
Dr. Laura --is-- was a hater, spreading hate and should have gone long ago.

First of all... that is a very ignorant statement. Did you even hear the Dr. Laura audio in question? She was absolutely correct in what she said on-ar. It was taken out of context... but as a radio professional she should've known better. I don't blame her for bailing. Radio STINKS these days because you can't make a point or have an opinion without special interest groups wanting your head.

Good for you Laura for saying F U. Good luck.
You can't say anything these days without running the risk of it being played in the worst possible light or transplanted to some otherworldly phantom/assumed context.

In a way it's just like the snippets of South Side Steve on TRG where he says something innocent but taken in isolation it sounds sexual. For example, "I'll eat the bush with butter but I'm not going to eat that stalk", which was a conversation about broccoli. And it's just about as juvenile.

I find the whole concept of "regaining my First Amendment rights" absurd since the only one who can abridge that would be the Federal Government. And last time I checked, the FCC wasn't forcing her off the air.

I do not like Dr. Laura's caustic and sometimes disdainful attitude at all but what she said had some truth to it. It's unfortunate that a few race pimps can basically drive otherwise popular hosts (like Don Imus) off with a few well placed protests.

"N" word issues aside, the woman should have been off the air years and years ago. She's gratuitously irritating and overly full of herself.

I heard the exchange "ive" (well, actually tape delayed since the station runs it after the fact). Dr. Laura, though not a favorite of mine, was baited on that one. Now, whether the incident was intended to pump ratings, I don't know (but I suspect so, because her producer should have bleeped the words while they were lived, and the network should have cleaned it up for later broadcast. But whatever, what she said was true. I'm tired of double-standards. Remember what Archie Bunker said was "shocking and provocking" but what Redd Fox said was "entertaining."

And I suspect the contract to which there is reference is with the distribution network, not the production company.

She’s a joke. She’s a Doctor of Physiology-about as qualified as a tow-truck driver to talk about relationships. Using Black Comedians on HBO, or rappers to validate the double standard of the “N” word was foolish. They are foolish people and prove it by using the word. HBO is foolish for paying them to say it, as are the record companies. And many people do not give them a pass.

The fact that everyone here has the decency to call it the “N” word instead of spelling out the offenseive words Dr. Laura cavalierly used 11 times, shows how much the average person has more tact and dignity than Dr. Laura- an 18 year broadcaster.

If didn’t know better, seems like she took pleasure in saying it and may have wanted to say it for a long time using “her attempt to make a philosophical point” as an excuse to say it.

She spouts the tenants of conservatism, but doesn’t want to apply them to herself-taking responsibility for her actions and not blaming others. She said she was sorry, but now claims to be a victim-although she gained sponsors after the controversy, was not suspended, nor fired from her job.

Nothing was taken out of context, if you are smart enough to be on the radio for 18 years, you should be smart enough to know that it is not ok to use that word on the air. She just used the public airwaves incorrectly. There was not a violin playing for Bill Maher when he exercised his first amendment rights-he just had to take the show to cable.

She only suffered criticism-which is protected by the first amendment for others, and retreated from what she said offering a half-hearted apology after repeating a despicable word…what a coward.

You make some good points and you're right that, by now, she should know better since she's actually been doing talk radio for over three decades, not just for 18 years.

EW0350 said:
Now, whether the incident was intended to pump ratings, I don't know...

Nick Cannon's new radio morning show is so bad, I'm assuming he's addressing pregnancy rumors of his wife, Mariah Carey, strictly for ratings. And apparently, it's worked, as it made a lot of news websites yesterday within hours of his show...

DToTheJ said:
EW0350 said:
Now, whether the incident was intended to pump ratings, I don't know...

Nick Cannon's new radio morning show is so bad, I'm assuming he's addressing pregnancy rumors of his wife, Mariah Carey, strictly for ratings. And apparently, it's worked, as it made a lot of news websites yesterday within hours of his show...

I am glad you can listen to internet radio all day but WTH does Nick Cannon have to do with Atlanta Radio. I don;t believe he has ever been on the radio here?

I've always wondered how much of Dr. Laura's show is scripted schtick/"fake wrestling", how much is real and from her heart and passions, and how much of it is her "finding religion" and trying to atone for her personal shortcomings (remember her nekkid pictures?) by flouting her values.

Something tells me that if a 20-something caller called in and talked about the caller's own nekkid pictures, she would go off on the caller on strictly a moral basis and not an empathetic "been there, done that, believe me, you don't want to go there and do that".

My wife is a fan of Dr. Laura; I am not because I do think she is too quick to jump to conclusions and too dogmatic on certain issues. What Boortz said one morning has stuck with me as I listen to and critique "talk radio." It is entertainment, people. Don't take anything seriously or have total faith in it until you have researched the subject yourself. From the manner in which Dr. Laura is able to quickly "diagnos" a situation and propose a solution, I suspect some spade work has been done before she punches up the line. Thirty years ago she was a novelty, but there have been so many other pretenders like her, the whole routine is tiresome and I am not attracted to it.

I have the same sentiments about Glen Beck and Rush. At one point I enjoyed them. Now, they are so totally negative (about everything there is no pleasure in their broadcasts. And I really don't get off on 3-hour monologues. Why can't there be more caller interaction? Or are they too afraid of sharing the spotlight?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom