• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mapleton pulling the plug on the KPIG AM-simulcast

The recorded Announcement played on KPIG - right before 1p today - mentioned trying to get an FM outlet in the Bay Area... that'd be great, but looks like the Pig'll be Internet-only ($$$) around here for the near future. No, the Announcement didn't say exactly when the switch will happen... still Pigging-out at 3pm...

Oddly enough, there is an article in Inside Radio today which claims that Mapleton's $5/month subscription model for KPIG is bringing in more revenue than ads do. If that's the case, who needs an AM station?

According to Kurt Hanson's Radio And Internet Newsletter:

Now owner Mapleton Communications’ CEO Adam Nathanson says the move is working.

“You can’t even compare what we were generating on the ad model to what we’re getting on the subscriber model,” he told Inside Radio. “We went from not making money to being profitable in 60 days — and the revenue continues to grow month-to-month.”

At least, Mapleton hasn't gone through a dozen formats like the previous owner, Saul Levine's Mt. Wilson Broadcasting. So Mapleton is looking for a FM Station to broadcast the KPIG format? Good Luck to them.

Oddly enough, there is an article in Inside Radio today which claims that Mapleton's $5/month subscription model for KPIG is bringing in more revenue than ads do. If that's the case, who needs an AM station?

The subscriptions bring in more money than the relatively few and low cost Internet only ads they supplanted - not the over the air ads that support the radio station itself.

BossRadioDJ said:

WOW! I'm totally blown away by this. I truly am because it shows three things: (1) an eclectic format has legs after all, and (2) the subscription model works, and (3) it doesn't need a big promotion to work.

DavidKaye said:
(3) it doesn't need a big promotion to work.

Well, KPIG doesn't need a big promotion to work. I'm not so sure that would be true for others. Remember, they were one of the very first stations to stream. They were the testbed for some of the early Real Audio stream versions, and another one that's gone now (??streamworks was it??). So there's history there. At one time they were the most popular stream on the Internet.

Dave B.

Yesterday's Radio & Internet Newsletter also has an article on how the KPIG subscriptions are pulling more $$ than the ads...
http://textpattern.kurthanson.com/a...-only-commercial-free-streaming-is-profitable

Also: I like hearing the ads on KPIG - the 1510 AM version has ads related to its coverage area - which, of course aren't heard on the streamed version.

From the KPIG-AM page on the KPIG Website:

Piedmont, CA KPIG AM 1510

Tim Lynch Blog

It's a sad time in the city, pigs. It is our duty to report that KPIG 1510 AM will be going off the air as of Sunday August 15th.

We want to thank each and every one of you who listened and supported us in our endevours in the Bay Area.

Please join us on kpig.com, or listen when in the Monterey Bay area or San Luis Obispo.

travisl5678 said:
I'm wondering about the brokered Chinese format, is it anything to make the people at KVTO lose sleep about?
Somehow I doubt it. Plus there just isn't much more for them to do with that frequency. Only other format they could do would be 24/7 Infomercials. The days of KTIM have been over for years.

I really wish that 1510 would become Standards, I'm guessing their pulling the plug after the Ham Jam at 3, I'm listening now at home in Concord, It took me a few minutes to get a listenable signal.

Update 3pm:I guess the Ham Jam is going to be longer today,so I guess the new format will start this evening sometime.BTW, is anyone rolling tape?

[hat over heart]

Thanks to Mapleton for keeping it going as long as they did.

Can't help but wonder how it would have been if they'd been able to pay Wells Fargo the $6m for 92.7... KPGY!
Ah well...

KPIG(AM) became KSFN or whatever it is (I can't quite understand the callsign when given and don't have an online reference for it at the moment) at precisely 12:00am Sunday morning. The last song ended, there was about 10 seconds of silence, and then the ID with the new callsign was given in English and they went immediately into a Chinese language talkshow. The transition was smooth and professional.

It's too bad that Mapleton didn't see fit to make an offer for 92.7 before Royce got it.

Memo to Royce: You could probably generate better ratings by becoming part of the KPIG network than you can trying to run yet another CHR from out-of-town.

Dave B.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom