Analog vs Digital - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Analog vs Digital

I was looking for the right board to post this question and I think this thread relates.

It's cool that you're seeing a few records being sold in stores these days. Some of it on nice, heavy vinyl. I haven't popped for the $25 vinyl that are coming out for new releases. Does the vinyl sound any better than CDs? Or does it sound like digital being played off a vinyl record? I know they're recording (for the most part) digitally from the source. Does the new stuff on vinyl sound smashed and over-processed like it does from CDs? Is there any warmth to it?

The reason some people find the sound of vinyl more pleasing than digital formats are:
    * Intermodulation Distortion, generally caused in the phono preamp or just by the nature of having a double-sided groove that the stylus rides in. IM is the result of two or more signals mixing together that are not considered harmonic frequencies. Many find this form of distortion to be "warm" or pleasing to the ear.

* Noise floor: There are various noise components with dragging a pointy stylus through a groove. That, and as with IM, some noise is created by the amplification stages of a standard phono preamp. Digital recordings lack the same components of signal to noise ratio as vinyl recordings do.

Granted it sounds strange that distortion and noise presented by listening to vinyl recordings are somehow advantageous, but like anything involving audio, it's all subjectively in the ears of the beholder.

I listen to music on both formats. When I want convenience, while I'm working around the house and want several hours of music, I'll load up an MP3 playlist. When I want to sit and enjoy the performance, as if I were in the studio, I'll put on vinyl. They both have their place, their good points and their bad points.
    "ongoing rant against voice tracking"

At my drive-in theatre, the (digital) automation I use for pre-show and intermission programs plays 'wav' files out of a library of over 5,000 cuts. Whenever I find a good vinyl record, I'll transfer it to a 'wav', using a Technics direct-drive table and a Stanton cartridge. When the vinyl isn't perfect, I sometimes let the occasional click stay in the file, rather than edit it out in 'Audition'. There's an authenticity and warmth to those old tracks that doesn't translate to the CD remasters you get at the "record" store. Say what you want, but there is a difference that is noticeable over time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12