• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGUN

BIGSTICK

Star Participant
I know this has been brought up before, but is this station still looking for an identity? Are they ever going to get rid of the Fire and Brimstone?
Plus, when I came across it the other day they said they have the strongest signal on the East Coast... ???

BRENT said:
I know this has been brought up before, but is this station still looking for an identity? Are they ever going to get rid of the Fire and Brimstone?
Plus, when I came across it the other day they said they have the strongest signal on the East Coast... ???

No, they aren't going to 86 the preachin' and teachin' as that is what the owners want first and foremost. But I do agree, there is only so much you can do format-wise when you insist on including some of that in your broadcast day. And they can't park it after dark because their night signal is below lightbulb levels.

And, technically, they probably are right about having the strongest signal. During the day and outside of critical hours, they are a full 50k. Not even WQXI or WGKA or WNIV can say that; IIRC the only other 50kWers out there in ATL are WGST, WCNN, WCFO, and You Know Who.

BRENT said:

With the lousy ground conductivity in North GA, I doubt any Atlanta AM Station should make that claim. A station near lots of water and better ground conductivity coverage inland (Philadelphia, NYC or FL?) could make that claim. The lower the frequency the better the coverage (not counting skywave), gives 750 an advantage. Directional WCNN 680 actually stops the scan on my car radio more than any Atlanta AM station during the day north of Canton. 640 should have a “killer” daytime signal but is a victim of RF pollution or something in their pattern in my area.

Secondchoice, your facts are definitely correct. But when you're promoting something, you take a certain amount of poetic license. Every 50,000-watt AM on the East Coast could probably get away with claiming that since 50KW is the most power licensed on AM by the FCC.

secondchoice said:
BRENT said:

With the lousy ground conductivity in North GA, I doubt any Atlanta AM Station should make that claim. A station near lots of water and better ground conductivity coverage inland (Philadelphia, NYC or FL?) could make that claim. The lower the frequency the better the coverage (not counting skywave), gives 750 an advantage. Directional WCNN 680 actually stops the scan on my car radio more than any Atlanta AM station during the day north of Canton. 640 should have a “killer” daytime signal but is a victim of RF pollution or something in their pattern in my area.

I hear 790 The Fan all the time in Chattanooga really clearly.

David67 said:
secondchoice said:
BRENT said:

I hear 790 The Fan all the time in Chattanooga really clearly.

790 has got the WORST audio EVER! It is just MUDDY and sounds horrid !! I wish they would clean it up. You can listen via streaming on the net and they sound great, but the sound coming thru your AM radio is just Nasty.

lilburncommunityradio said:
the sound coming thru your AM radio is just Nasty.

All sound coming through an AM radio is just nasty. Some stations might be nastier than others, but all AM stations sound like crap.

The problem I have with the most powerful station positioner is that they are way up at 1010 kc. If you take frequency into account, WDUN at 550 kc and 10kw is more powerful than WDUN. DUN covers much more real estate. So are WSB, WSM, WLW, and every other 50kWer below WGUN.

Talk_Dude said:
lilburncommunityradio said:
the sound coming thru your AM radio is just Nasty.

All sound coming through an AM radio is just nasty. Some stations might be nastier than others, but all AM stations sound like crap.
Depends on your receiver, as well as the processing.  Most contemporary AM tuners are an afterthought, and the processing at the tx end has not been immune to the Loudness Wars, either.  Dynamic range takes a back seat to signal coverage.  This holds true for FM radio and even CDs as well.

Some car radios, some hi-fi receivers, and the odd portable (GE Superadio, etc.) have good AM sections and could decently reproduce a good signal.  No, you're never going to get a lot of high end, but midrange down can be pretty good.  At that point it's mostly garbage in=garbage out.

If you listened to the old WGKA at 1190 when they were classical, on a good set, you could hear what AM could do. Of course, if you weren't close enough to get a good signal all that dynamic range got buried in static.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom