• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMYQ/WMJX

Can anyone tell me when WMYQ became Top 40 and what was its previous format? Also, when did WMYQ become WMJX? I know it changed frequency from 96.3 to 96.5 in the late '80s when it returned to the air to make room for WLEQ 95.9 A Bonita Springs to move frequency to 96.1 C.

JMTillery Dude, wow great question, per usual from you, WMYQ signed on, on or about 1971 and operated by Bartel Media Group and that was a division of Sunoco oil yet another way for oil company's to hide their money, so-to-speak, but they were pretty much top-40 from the get go. I'm thinking they were pretty much a brand-new start up on 96.3. I suppose I should know this but I'm old.

I had worked for a number of other stations in Miami and was hired on at WMYQ in late 1974 and worked there until early September 1975, and in the same week I was hired at KIQQ Los Angele's WMYQ changed call's to WMJX. I got out while the going was good.

WMYQ's morning man at the time Greg Austin, billed on-air as Austin from Boston was always getting WMYQ into some sort of legal trouble every time he opened the mike, Bartel had to keep a battery of lawyers on hand never knowing what next to expect Out of Greg Austin mouth.

Jerry Clifton national program director for Bartel and their "Q" stations, and because of all the legal hoopla decided to reposition re-image to no avail. The FCC finally pulled WMJX's plug
in 1981 and they were no mas'. I'm most likely wrong but my understanding, enter WXDJ.

For the sake of tooting my own horn and giving you some sort of Miami radio history lesson,
regarding WMYQ/WMJX and prior to Y-100, WMYQ owned the market, I had heard a rumor one time wether or not true it was said, I'll stand corrected, WMYQ was the first FM top 40 rocker in the U.S.

Foot note: Bartel spared no expense in top name brand studio equipment for WMYQ, picture this, a 48 track recording studio utilized as a production room, state of the art for the 70's. The problem was, most if not all the on-air talent, including me, had no clue as how to use it.

WMYQ became Miami's first FM Top 40 station in 1971. The 96.3 frequency had been home to Storer Broadcasting's easy listening station, WJHR, which for most of its run was WGBS-FM, sister station to 710 WGBS.

I had just moved to South Florida when WMYQ started in 1971. At the time there was a three-way top 40 war on AM in Miami with the long-established WQAM and WFUN and the third man in, WINZ.

I don't think WMYQ was the first FM top 40 in the US. By 1971, WOR-FM New York was several years into it's Drake format, which was about 50% oldies. Also WIFI Philadelphia began in 1970 with the syndicated format "Hit Parade '70", flipping shortly thereafter to a high-energy AM style top 40.

WMYQ probably defined the future of Miami radio. In '72, WINZ dropped out of the top 40 race, flipping to MOR. The top 40 war moved to FM in earnest when Y-100 signed on in 1973, making WQAM and WFUN non-factors.

Ironically, I left South Florida in 1973, a few weeks after Y-100 signed on. :)

I've lived in South FL the last 49 years (aside from military stint 1978-80) and during all that, I suppose I never once tuned the AM dial to WINZ during the top 40 era.....but it's not the 1st time I have heard/read that, so I won't dispute. I wonder if any airchecks are around of them as T40.

As to why the plug was pulled on 96.3, I thought it had to do with a phony contest, something like "Find the DJ" who was never "lost" at all, and no prize.

During the WMJX years of 77-78 I used to be allowed to bring a radio to work, and listened to the "Worst Joke of the Day" contest in the morning.

In 1984 or so I caught on DX on 95.1 "Isle 95" from the US Virgin Islands (at that time I didn't know a 95.1 existed there). I called them & played my recorded clip. One of the guys I talked to was a Jonathan Keyes, who said he used to work at WMJX & I believe he even mentioned the Worst Joke. Small woild.

cd

Radiovoice and radioguy your both sooo right, I forgot about WJHR, the irony of it all, most cars or at least mine didn't have FM so I was stuck with WFUN WQAM WINZ but then again I had worked for those people too in the early days of playin the hits......

Being old radio, and not ashamed to say, and reading new comments is awesome, it's nice to see you know what your talking about. I just wish radio was fun to listen to again....

Hey CD dude: Yupper buddy your right, Find Greg Austin contest, he was supposedly lost in the Devil's Triangle, WMYQ falsified the contest with a phony winner and we all were required to play along with it, Along with the multimillion dollar Burger King lawsuit, well the rest is WMYQ history.

All of this didn't set well with the FCC....

The winner just happen to be a little kinky haired kid who more or less was a groupie intern at WMYQ......Sort of an employee....LOL

Stormychuck said:
JMTillery Dude, wow great question, per usual from you, WMYQ signed on, on or about 1971 and operated by Bartel Media Group and that was a division of Sunoco oil yet another way for oil company's to hide their money, so-to-speak, but they were pretty much top-40 from the get go. I'm thinking they were pretty much a brand-new start up on 96.3. I suppose I should know this but I'm old.

The origins of the station are already addressed (George B. Storer's FM), and all I have on the date is anecdotal. In early 1972 I was involved in a project in Ecuador while also working with Mooney Broadcasting in Birmingham. As both Ecuador and Birmingham were "you can't get there from here" places, I would often have full day layovers in Miami and remember WMYQ being on the air and having friends tell me "that's the new station." So the last half of 1971 would be about right.

WMYQ impressed me enough I converted WERQ-FM in Birmingham to Top 40 shortly after first hearing 'MYQ.

I had worked for a number of other stations in Miami and was hired on at WMYQ in late 1974 and worked there until early September 1975, and in the same week I was hired at KIQQ Los Angele's WMYQ changed call's to WMJX. I got out while the going was good.

In its dying days, they cut the list to about 25 to 30 songs, no gold, and spun them over and over and over.

WMYQ's morning man at the time Greg Austin, billed on-air as Austin from Boston was always getting WMYQ into some sort of legal trouble every time he opened the mike, Bartel had to keep a battery of lawyers on hand never knowing what next to expect Out of Greg Austin mouth.

What did them in was the "missing DJ" contest, which was determined to be fraudulent and was the cause of the revocation.

Jerry Clifton national program director for Bartel and their "Q" stations, and because of all the legal hoopla decided to reposition re-image to no avail. The FCC finally pulled WMJX's plug
in 1981 and they were no mas'.

In 1975, George Wilson was President of Bartell, Carl Como Tutera was GM, Clifton was PD and Eric Rhodes (Radio Ink) was music director.

I'm most likely wrong but my understanding, enter WXDJ.

96.5, WPOW is what it became.

For the sake of tooting my own horn and giving you some sort of Miami radio history lesson,
regarding WMYQ/WMJX and prior to Y-100, WMYQ owned the market, I had heard a rumor one time wether or not true it was said, I'll stand corrected, WMYQ was the first FM top 40 rocker in the U.S.

Yes and no. Many Top 40's had FM simulcasts... I recall listening to WPGC in DC up the tower and power in 1969, but they still were on the 1580 daytimer, too. Plenty like that... ful Top 40 on AM and FM.

WOR-FM goes back to the mid 70's, but some would hesitate to say it was Top 40 in the mold of WABC. It was eclectic at first, and then the D-C thing was more like what we came to call Chicken Rock than Top 40... lots of gold, too.

The Bartell trio of KSLQ, WDRQ and WMYQ could be called the first stand-alone "real" top 40's based on jock presentation, playlist, jingles, etc. And if you said that, there would be plenty of folks who would argue the point.

cd637299 said:
In 1984 or so I caught on DX on 95.1 "Isle 95" from the US Virgin Islands (at that time I didn't know a 95.1 existed there). I called them & played my recorded clip. One of the guys I talked to was a Jonathan Keyes, who said he used to work at WMJX & I believe he even mentioned the Worst Joke. Small woild.

The USVi has to be the worst radio market in the US... even worse than Key West or Grand Junction!

That is quite a step from Miami to Charlotte Amalie.

DavidEduardo said:

Yes and no. Many Top 40's had FM simulcasts... I recall listening to WPGC in DC up the tower and power in 1969, but they still were on the 1580 daytimer, too. Plenty like that... ful Top 40 on AM and FM.

WOR-FM goes back to the mid 70's, but some would hesitate to say it was Top 40 in the mold of WABC. It was eclectic at first, and then the D-C thing was more like what we came to call Chicken Rock than Top 40... lots of gold, too.

The Bartell trio of KSLQ, WDRQ and WMYQ could be called the first stand-alone "real" top 40's based on jock presentation, playlist, jingles, etc. And if you said that, there would be plenty of folks who would argue the point.

WOR-FM started in 1966 as NY's first free-form progressive rock station. In the fall of 1967, the Drake-Chenault format started. OK, it wasn't straight ahead top 40, it was pop and soul currents with lots of 1955-63 oldies. 'OR-FM was targeted more toward 18-34 year olds rather than the teen market since they didn't play the bubblegum songs that were hits in the late 60s. I was only 15 when 'OR-FM went to the DC format but I loved the station. IMHO, it was WOR-FM that led to the undoing of WMCA. WOR-FM played lots of records WABC wouldn't touch.

And yes, I'll agree WMYQ was the first stand-alone FM top 40 relying strictly on currents, targeting 12-24 year olds. :)

radioguy39nj said:
WOR-FM started in 1966 as NY's first free-form progressive rock station.

Sorry, my typo. I meant 60's. There are some very psychodelic WOR FM ads in "Broadcasting Magazine" in 1966, including a full color cover on one issue.

You can see it at http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive BC/BC 1966/BC 1966 08 01.pdf

In the fall of 1967, the Drake-Chenault format started. OK, it wasn't straight ahead top 40, it was pop and soul currents with lots of 1955-63 oldies. 'OR-FM was targeted more toward 18-34 year olds rather than the teen market since they didn't play the bubblegum songs that were hits in the late 60s. I was only 15 when 'OR-FM went to the DC format but I loved the station. IMHO, it was WOR-FM that led to the undoing of WMCA. WOR-FM played lots of records WABC wouldn't touch.

I always wondered why it was not a full DC Top 40.

I'm still amazed after all these years to see stuff pop up about WMYQ/WMJX ;D Here's some random stuff:

Charter Broadcasting got the FCC death nail for 96X in January 1981 with a FCC target sign off of April 1981. The powers that be didn't want to prolong the obvious, so the night of February 14th is when they decided to sign off.

From 1975 to 1981 PD's were: Lee Logan, Jerry Clifton, Joel Denver, Beau Raines, Mark Driscoll & Bruce Kelly.

Jonathan Keys was one of a few mid-day guys and now owns several stations in St. Croix.

Some of my former co-workers, Carl Como GM, Jerry Clifton National PD & Lee Logan PD were named in one of the FCC documents (Contest "Magnum One") Check out the link to a PDF file below, scroll to PDF page 23/Document page 295 for a little Indiana Law history of radio hoaxes:

http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/pubs/v52/no2/levine.pdf

Besides Austin lost in the Triangle & Magnum One, another FCC favorite contest was "A Warehouse Full Of 10 Speeds".

96X changed frequencies from 96.3 to 96.5 early 1986 months before Power96 was even thought of. I made a spoof promo saying we're signing off 96.3 again. I just had to do it.

DaveEduardo, Jerry Clifton was national PD and you forgot Lee Logan who was the local PD.

Lee Logan was the one who hired me, then Clifton showed up from NY the rest is history, and yes Carl Como was a real nice guy. The internal stories of WMYQ 30 years ago is left to be desired.

Stewart, what was the magum one? But you'll have to admit that scrawny little long haired Jerry Clifton was a radio clever S.O.B......He impressed me.

Stormychuck said:
Stewart, what was the magum one? But you'll have to admit that scrawny little long haired Jerry Clifton was a radio clever S.O.B......He impressed me.

Paste the PDF Link I have in the post above to your web browser and it'll fill you in. In a nut shell it was a contest where someone would win their own corporation, when it reality it was anything but.

As for Jerry Clifton..he was my mentor. Jerry gave me my first shot on the air. His talents and creativity are 2nd to nobody i've ever worked with since. He is a wizard in the production room and a mastermind. 8)

Stormychuck said:
DaveEduardo, Jerry Clifton was national PD and you forgot Lee Logan who was the local PD.

He's listed as PD for the first year of WMYQ... maybe they put his name down before they hired Lee?

Stuart Elliott said:
96X changed frequencies from 96.3 to 96.5 early 1986 months before Power96 was even thought of.

But... the facility (it's the same station, whether on 96.3 or 96.5) was never WXDJ (memories of Russ Oasis after his Ad Team agency). The move in frequency had to do with a new station in the Ft. Meyers market.

Anyone remember that Robert L. Collins did mornings at WMYQ before going to WGN Chicago. He cracked me up one morning when he said he wanted to name his dog Dammit so he could say "here Dammit".

Then there was Roby Younge, who after one morning on the very first day of Y-100 wound up doing mornings at WMYQ! Has something like that every happened before?

WMYQ was just a couple of blocks away from WQAM on 41st Street. No telling what would have happened if WFUN had been that close! War?

Not that this has anything to do with all the tea in China, but....

When 96X returned in 1985 (still being called 96X because I think they felt that the influence was still strong), IIRC, it was on 96.5. I remember asking how it could work, because the Jupiter FL station was still on 96.7. I believe I was told they were running only 50k.

For a while, WCJX (their actual calls at that time) went very briefly to 96.3, and using 100k?*. The Jupiter station was granted a move to 99.5, and after they moved, WCJX was free to move back to 96.5 with the full power.

*I am not 100% on this, because I could not remember if the new 95.7 was on the air yet....that would I'm sure keep the move to 96.3 from happening. It was truly a mess at that time!

Add to that, that, um, "format" of rotating only the top 16 songs over and over, when 96X returned.

cd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom