• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMYQ/WMJX

DavidEduardo said:
stevations said:
What was the Missing DJ contest all about that got them kicked off the air?

This was the classic "find the DJ" contest of the era. Often, a station would get promotional value from announcing a new jock who was coming to town. Listeners were invited to ask people on the street, "Are you Johnny Jock from WQQQ?" and if they asked the real Johnny, they won a big prize for "finding" him.

The probem in Miami was that the person was not even in the market at the time, so it was impossible to win. In other words, a rigged contest by FCC standards.

I believe the contest you're talking about was "Austin Lost In The Triangle" Then WMYQ Morning DJ Greg Austin was supposed to be out in the ocean as part of his morning show and got lost out at sea in Devils Triangle. They had the Media, FHP, Marine Patrol, Coast Guard and other local law enforcement looking for Greg when in fact he was on dry land tossing a few cold ones back. I don't know why the FCC would froun upon true theater of the mind. :-\

Stuart Elliott said:
DavidEduardo said:
stevations said:
What was the Missing DJ contest all about that got them kicked off the air?

This was the classic "find the DJ" contest of the era. Often, a station would get promotional value from announcing a new jock who was coming to town. Listeners were invited to ask people on the street, "Are you Johnny Jock from WQQQ?" and if they asked the real Johnny, they won a big prize for "finding" him.

The probem in Miami was that the person was not even in the market at the time, so it was impossible to win. In other words, a rigged contest by FCC standards.

I believe the contest you're talking about was "Austin Lost In The Triangle" Then WMYQ Morning DJ Greg Austin was supposed to be out in the ocean as part of his morning show and got lost out at sea in Devils Triangle. They had the Media, FHP, Marine Patrol, Coast Guard and other local law enforcement looking for Greg when in fact he was on dry land tossing a few cold ones back. I don't know why the FCC would froun upon true theater of the mind. :-\

WOW! That got a station's license revoked back then??? I think nowadays if the same standards applied, half the radio stations in major markets would be stripped of a license! I can think of several stunts in the past 20 years that would have qualified!

Radio-X

radiodxrichmond said:
WOW! That got a station's license revoked back then??? I think nowadays if the same standards applied, half the radio stations in major markets would be stripped of a license! I can think of several stunts in the past 20 years that would have qualified!

Yes, all the contests of that kind (saying a DJ was somewhere he was not) got stations in trouble. Walton's Tucson station lost its license in the same era.

"Rigged" contests were something the FCC reviewed very seriously. A lot depended on the licensee's response... couple bad behaviour with other infractions.

"KIKX became one of the
few stations to have its license permanently revoked due to a broadcast
hoax. A similar case involving WMJX-FM in Miami closely followed the
KIKX incident. After being admonished by the FCC in 1973 for engaging
in fraudulent contests,90 the station broadcast a series of news reports
stating that disc jockey Greg Austin was lost in the Bermuda Triangle. The
reports continued after station personnel were aware of Austin’s safe
landing on the Florida coast. However, the station’s news reporter was
instructed to keep running the story of the disappearance in order to promote the “Find Greg Austin Contest.”
Administrative Law Judge Thomas B. Fitzpatrick, the same judge
who revoked the license of KIKX, presided over the license renewal
hearing of WMJX. Once again, Judge Fitzpatrick refused to renew the
license in light of the station’s misconduct."

(Federal Communications Law Journal, February, 2000)

WMJX had previously been admonished by the Commission for lesser issues, and the ALJ felt that management knew of the deception and had sanctioned it, placing their fitness in question. Other hoaxes like one at WCCC in Hartford which reported the eruption of a volcano near Waterbury and a station in the Phoenix market that reported being taken over by Indians were not so severely handled as the stations "fessed up" and showed that one-time events were not part of station practices and the licensees.

How to ruin a top fm in a major market

The issue was not just the PD. It was management that did not adequately supervise the activities of the programming department.

And it was also a competitor that figured out the details of the fraudulent contest and filed a complaint with the FCC.

WMJX was not the "top fm" as it was being beaten quite consistently by Y-100 in the format and by a number of other stations as well.

Remember, too, that Clifton went on to be consultant to Bill Tanner and Coleen at Power 86 for many, many years of successful programming.

Last edited:
Hi David, Johnathon Keys started Isle 95 and is still owner of the station. Soon after he bought many more stations in the islands. After that he bought a station in Texas that we ran together into the early 90's. There were a few other 96X DJ's that went on to own their own stations with lessons learned from 96X

Check out: www.96XRadio.com and www.WMYQMiami.com

Last edited:
Saying, "I listen to the new sound of Y-100" was worth ten times as much as saying "I listen to fun loving WMYQ". In retrospect, $138.89/month was a lot of money before Nixon temporarily suspended the convertibility of thalers for gold.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom