• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

things B98.5 FM doesn't do a good enough job of promoting ...

Hey I heard today one of the B98.5 FM radio DJs telling me to give B98.5 FM a listen just before 9am every weekday morning! See, it's a very well kept secret but that’s when B98.5 FM kicks off it’s 98 at 9. That’s over 98 minutes of music every weekday morning at 9! It’s all on Atlanta’s station for the best variety of soft rock and a great way to start your workday. I just don't understand why they barely talk about it and keep this jewel almost to themselves!

I just had an epiphany. The B98.5 FM 98 at 9 is nothing more than a shallow scam to get the sheeple at work and for dentist offices to play the B98.5 FM all workday long. Cox doesn't really want to give me the gift of "free" music for over an hour an a half .... they want me to be stuck in the dentist chair getting a root canal ... and under the influence of mind altering drugs and B98.5 FM playing in the background I will be made to feel I need to call Ackerman Security because Vikki Locke says so.

caller10 said:
Hey I heard today one of the B98.5 FM radio DJs telling me to give B98.5 FM a listen just before 9am every weekday morning! See, it's a very well kept secret but that’s when B98.5 FM kicks off it’s 98 at 9. That’s over 98 minutes of music every weekday morning at 9! It’s all on Atlanta’s station for the best variety of soft rock and a great way to start your workday. I just don't understand why they barely talk about it and keep this jewel almost to themselves!

By any chance, did you hear that advice to listen to B98.5 while listening to B98.5?

Doesn't it strike you as odd that they only people they're telling to listen to B98.5 are people who are already listening to B98.5? Wouldn't they have more success telling people who aren't already listening to B98.5 to change their radios to B98.5?

Or is that too obvious?

Talk_Dude said:
caller10 said:

By any chance, did you hear that advice to listen to B98.5 while listening to B98.5?

Doesn't it strike you as odd that they only people they're telling to listen to B98.5 are people who are already listening to B98.5? Wouldn't they have more success telling people who aren't already listening to B98.5 to change their radios to B98.5?

Or is that too obvious?
I never understood the logic of TV manufacturers running spots showing just how great their picture is.

I had to run an errand this morning. When I got in the car, I switched over to 98.5 to give it a chance. They were playing a really lame old song that I didn't like when it was new. I changed the station.

Talk_Dude said:
I had to run an errand this morning. When I got in the car, I switched over to 98.5 to give it a chance. They were playing a really lame old song that I didn't like when it was new. I changed the station.

hummm ... that's really not a very marketable positioning statement:

"The radio station that when you have to run an errand, get in your car and switch over to the new B98.5 FM. Give us a chance, if we're playing a really lame old song you've never liked, change the station. That's B98.5 FM."

Nah.

B98.5 is basically Bob Neil's station regardless if someone hates the playlist or not or hates the constant bugging of the "over 50 minutes of music every hour" or the "98 minutes at 9." He has the right and can make B98.5 the way he wants to and not change the playlist for 2 years to make it his station. That's why you heard weird crap that don't belong to a normal AC station like "Tubthumpin" and the fact that you don't hear the top five latest AC songs today like "Need You Now" and "Hey Soul Sister." Who says B98.5 was OUR station? For those who can't stream, they have no choice but to listen in their offices and dentist chairs. Most of us are smart and would immediately switch stations if another choice or AC station was available.

thefirstgenesis said:
B98.5 is basically Bob Neil's station... He has the right and can make B98.5 the way he wants to and not change the playlist for 2 years to make it his station. That's why you heard weird crap that don't belong to a normal AC station like "Tubthumpin"...

Try Lite-FM in New York, which has been known to play the classic rock staple "More Than A Feeling" by Boston on some days! :eek:

thefirstgenesis (cont'd) said:
Most of us are smart and would immediately switch stations if another choice or AC station was available.

Does Groove qualify?

DToTheJ said:
thefirstgenesis said:
B98.5 is basically Bob Neil's station... He has the right and can make B98.5 the way he wants to and not change the playlist for 2 years to make it his station. That's why you heard weird crap that don't belong to a normal AC station like "Tubthumpin"...

Try Lite-FM in New York, which has been known to play the classic rock staple "More Than A Feeling" by Boston on some days! :eek:
"More Than A Feeling" by Boston is (or has been) on B98.5's playlist.

jabba17 said:
DToTheJ said:
thefirstgenesis said:

"More Than A Feeling" by Boston is (or has been) on B98.5's playlist.

I have more than a feeling, a feeling we're just minutes away .... from another 50-minute music hour .... on B98.5FM!

DToTheJ said:
thefirstgenesis said:

Sorry, but I don't live in New York. ::)

I know it's 70s music but too bad B98.5 doesn't sometimes play Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life", because it really sums up how I feel about my favorite radio station:

"And B
You light up my life
You give it 50-minute music hours
and the ninety-eight at nine ..."

>>>Or is that too obvious?<<<

Hey wait a minute... I think you just invented something you could call "marketing"

I have found it impossible to not enjoy a B98.5FM 50-minute music hour. And believe me, I have tried.

Yesterday I looked at my watch and I knew that we were just minutes away from another B98.5FM 50-minute music hour of Atlanta’s Best Mix of Soft Rock, so I tuned over. And at first I didn’t enjoy it at all. Smash Mouth’s “I’m a Believer” wasn’t hitting on much for me. Then there was Elton John, which lightened my mood a bit. But then, by the time “When Doves Cry” by Prince came on I was feeling it. And when Gwen Stefani’s “The Sweet Escape” started, I was bee-boppin’ around my kitchen! I finally had to sit down during “Private Eyes” by Hall & Oates, because it was just too much for this middle-aged dude. But let me tell you, when Jordan Graye came on after the B98.5FM 50-minute music hour was over, I cried tears of joy!

Did I enjoy my B98.5FM 50-minute music hour of Atlanta’s Best Mix of Soft Rock? YES!! YES I DID!!

Has anyone noticed that the NEW 97.1 The River is essentially a clone of B98.5? The key difference seems to be a somewhat older and slightly harder playlist on River. The gimmickry, clock, sloganeering, and tight playlist principle seem to be the same. Are these simply a pair of his-and-her stations?

jabba17 said:
Has anyone noticed that the NEW 97.1 The River is essentially a clone of B98.5? The key difference seems to be a somewhat older and slightly harder playlist on River. The gimmickry, clock, sloganeering, and tight playlist principle seem to be the same. Are these simply a pair of his-and-her stations?

For starters, both are Cox radio stations. The only difference is that The River doesn't have the "98 minutes at 9" that we tiredly hear about.

thefirstgenesis said:
jabba17 said:

For starters, both are Cox radio stations. The only difference is that The River doesn't have the "98 minutes at 9" that we tiredly hear about.
River has the "97 minute commercial free ride"....but B98.5 is one longer. I bet Cox's sales weasels have fun with that.

I've always heard B98 is Bob's personal toy, love child, twin brother, fri night date, etc.
But since nothing much new is going on there, maybe he can take a few minutes to help out poor ole 750AM. You think Boortz would fly down to Tampa and take a meeting?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom