• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS LEAVING PHOENIX

So here is what I have heard a time or two from some folks I know at CBS, of course it is only rumor and nothing is official.

KOOL FM
This Classic Hits powerhouse will fit nicely into the combo that is owned by Bonneville. Couple with KPKX the station could be quite the benefit.

KMLE FM
Another top score for Bonneville. This station has the potential to run ahead of KNIX with the right dollars being thrown behind it and Bonneville would be the company to do just that.

KZON FM
Once again, another score for Bonneville. Wait...rhythmic with Bonneville? Hold it right there! Look for this to be an intellectual property swaparoo.

Look for CC and Bonneville to possibly do an intellectual juggle with KYOT Jazz/AC and KZON Rhythmic. The Coyote, sure it has a nice sister with KEZ but KZON fits much better into their cluster where as KYOT has an older, sophisticated appeal which would fit much better in the Bonneville stables.

This would only happen of course if Bonneville wants to keep the Jazz/NewAC format, but if they do not, look for them to put sports or some form of AC to go head on with KEZ.

ericjbard said:
Look for CC and Bonneville to possibly do an intellectual juggle with KYOT Jazz/AC and KZON Rhythmic. The Coyote, sure it has a nice sister with KEZ but KZON fits much better into their cluster where as KYOT has an older, sophisticated appeal which would fit much better in the Bonneville stables.

Sounds like a rumor that's being pulled out of an orifice. CC, already owning a rhythmic leaning CHR doesn't have much of a use for KZON. They won't take KZZP mainstream because that would eat into KMXP. So why swap stations just to change the format? It's not worth the effort.

If Bonneville really wants to buy the CBS cluster, they'll do it. However, as today's Taylor newsletter says, Phoenix is off the block, even if word hasn't drifted down to the people at the local stations yet, so my money is on everything remaining the same.

CBS is not off the block my friend...CBS still wants to sell, just not to Cumulus as of yet.

Bonneville has been kicking the tires over at CBS Phoenix for months!

Like I said, I had only heard of the intellectual swap because Bonneville and Rhythmic dont always mix like Oil and Water...but, this does not say they will do it with another company or not at all and go Sports or AC on 101.5

I could see Bonneville pursuing KOOL and KMLE. Those stations would be a good fit.

Wouldn't it be funny to have Pratt come back to KMLE and replace Tim 'n Willy? ;)

Hey, I know, if it does happen, let's celebrate with a BBQ at Casa Pratt... :p

ericjbard said:
CBS is not off the block my friend...CBS still wants to sell, just not to Cumulus as of yet.

Like I said, I had only heard of the intellectual swap because Bonneville and Rhythmic dont always mix like Oil and Water...but, this does not say they will do it with another company or not at all and go Sports or AC on 101.5

If it does happen, Sports 620 moves to FM. :)

ericjbard said:

Intellectual property only has value if someone covets it.

You're more apt to hear 95.5 Rush Radio than to see the format traded for a CHR whose butt CC is already kicking.

Let's suppose for a minute that you're not pulling this out of a dark orifice, and that Bonneville is kicking the tires...
With the Rhythmic format having shifted from thug life to a much poppier one, has the format come back to the "core values"?

But I'm not sold on anything being in play just yet. Bonneville strikes me to be much like Cox - they don't buy something just because it's on sale, and they won't take on any debt that they don't have to.

Chances are that KZON will be sold to another company, since I don't see this one going to Bonneville. I would like to see Cox buy the cluster but they would have to sell the cable operations in Phoenix in order to do so.

only1moore said:
Chances are that KZON will be sold to another company, since I don't see this one going to Bonneville. I would like to see Cox buy the cluster but they would have to sell the cable operations in Phoenix in order to do so.

Is there a cross-ownership rule in place for cable-TV/radio?

johndavis said:
only1moore said:

Is there a cross-ownership rule in place for cable-TV/radio?

If there is (and I don't know for sure), Comcast will come swooping into Phoenix! You don't want that! :)

johndavis said:
Bonneville strikes me to be much like Cox - they don't buy something just because it's on sale, and they won't take on any debt that they don't have to.

Debt? TMISU don't have no stinkin' debt! They're thinking of the Denver CBS cluster fire sale price and hoping to score the same in Phoenix. In this economy, money talks...and they got it!

Bonneville adds to their operations in markets they know they can do well in. 12+ ratings show Bonneville in 3rd place overall Phoenix, but when you break out revenues, KTAR makes a bank ton of buckaroos.

Bonneville has ties to Phoenix and I don't mean because of KTAR. This area has many positives...

1) It's close to Salt Lake
2) It has the 2nd largest Latter Day Saint population in the country
3) It is part of what was the State of Deseret

Phoenix is a market that Bonneville will want to be a part of for years to come. So is Saint Louis, Cincinnati, Chicago and Salt Lake...because of the Latter Day saint connections.

This is not a knee jerk purchase because something is for sale, Bonneville never does anything that dumb. Instead, Bonneville makes purchases that make the most sense for them

Dr. Akbar said:
johndavis said:
Bonneville strikes me to be much like Cox - they don't buy something just because it's on sale, and they won't take on any debt that they don't have to.

Debt? TMISU don't have no stinkin' debt! They're thinking of the Denver CBS cluster fire sale price and hoping to score the same in Phoenix. In this economy, money talks...and they got it!

If they could get the Denver deal (3 FMs for $18 million), they could pay cash and make all their money back in a year...two tops.

All this talk about another AC, hmmmm.... So now I wonder; How will KMVA deal with this? Is KMVA still even registered as rhythmic ac, even though they are pretty much a pop rock lean top 40 or adult top 40? Can KMVA survive with another AC in town? I'm guessing they went the direction they had recently gone to "separate themselves" from the rest, but also attack pieces of KZZP and KMXP.

Selling the Phoenix cluster isn't a necessity for CBS Radio as there are a handful of others they wouldn't mind selling. The point is to simply take a few currently under-performing clusters off their hands. Phoenix isn't a disaster, but if the money is right, it's a go. Cumulus wants Phoenix but can't have it. Perhaps they expected a cheap sale like Denver was.

It's not a necessity, I agree. But Bonneville vs. Cumulus sniffing at the table of CBS, which one you think they will take?

Bonneville is already in the market and adding these three will still keep them at limit, they are fine!

Cumulus would be in its first market venture of Phoenix having to basically start from scratch in this market.

Bonneville has the money in hand not having to wait around for a private partner to pony up the cash.

Bonneville has mentioned multiple times they would look at new properties if they meet certain criteria.

1) Must have dominance in the market

2) Must be a worthwhile investment (something Bonneville can hold onto for at least 10 years)

3) Must be a nice additional investment in a community they already own properties.

WE KNOW that Bonneville has been talking with CBS about Phoenix and Seattle

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom