• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unknown station on 96.1 FM

justthenumbers

Leading Participant
I was in Maricopa (Pinal County) earlier today. I tuned to 96.1 expecting to hear Tucson's KLPX - which I did - but it was battling with something else on the frequency. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear much of the station - what I did hear was a remix of Black Box's "Everybody Everybody", followed by a liner in Spanish, and then the words "96.1 Vintage".

According to the link below, there are only three legitimate 96.1's in the state. Besides KLPX, there's low-powered KBRP from Bisbee, and also KWRK out of Window Rock. I'm guessing that neither of these signals are strong enough to make it into Maricopa.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bi...Y&is_lp=Y&is_fx=Y&is_fb=Y&sort=Call&sr=1&sid=

Google searches aren't turning up anything that seems to match.

Any other ideas? I'm wondering if this was a pirate.

I also heard something else on 96.1, fighting it out with KLPX, yesterday about
noon in east-central Phoenix (between Tower Plaza and the Lumberyard).

Was perusing the car radio's FM2 side, which has Tucson presets. At the time
I thought it might be FM skip.

Remember, it's FM skip season, so don't limit your searches to the state of Arizona. It could be a station in Mexico or a Spanish station within an 800- to 1500mile range. That offers lots of possibilities.
This has been an active season in many areas, especially those favoring Texas and Mexico eskip, which Arizona does.

multiplex said:
Remember, it's FM skip season, so don't limit your searches to the state of Arizona. It could be a station in Mexico or a Spanish station within an 800- to 1500mile range. That offers lots of possibilities.
This has been an active season in many areas, especially those favoring Texas and Mexico eskip, which Arizona does.

Good point. I just remembered that something similar happened with 93.7 FM. Tucson's KRQQ came in, as expected, but at times, I was hearing what appeared to be another CHR-type station. They were playing what I thought was Ryan Seacrest's American Top 40 syndicated countdown.

I'm too tired to check, but I'd suggest lo :(oking at south Texas (maybe McAllen) for your 96.1. I don't know what format they are these days. If the 93.7 was at the same time, it's likely, but not certain, that both stations could be in the same general area.
Harlingen, McAllen, if you were doing south Texas. (I don't know if Harlingen has a 93.7.) I'll leave it to you to figure out the rest. I now live in a skip-starved area, and I haven't done DX from Phoenix for a few years. That's about the only thing I miss, radiowise, from that area. Oh, employment. I miss that, too.

I have been told that Da Shareuff and his Dep-uh-dees will be doing a crime suppression sweep later this month, targeting illegal radio stations from Meheeco and those who harbor those stations on their radios. Listeners beware!!! ;D

KOHS said:
I have been told that Da Shareuff and his Dep-uh-dees will be doing a crime suppression sweep later this month, targeting illegal radio stations from Meheeco and those who harbor those stations on their radios. Listeners beware!!! ;D

KNX and anyone else operating on 10~Seventy is okay ;)

Most likely skip. I was at Anthem a while back, and hit the button for 93.9 which is classic rock out of Flagstaff, and I heard COUNTRY music, WHAT? Turns out it was a station out of Austin, TX.

Couple weeks ago, I got some serious skip for a few hours, and was about to identify over 20 stations from Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Kansas, all with nothing more than a simple amplified dipole TV antenna, the kind you would see on a travel trailer.

Been fighting with hearing KIAI from Mason City IA almost daily on 93.9 as I try to hear some classic rock from Flag (until KSLX finds itself). Also heard the standard god-prattle from KTAC in Ephrata on the same frequency.

Heard some skips down here south of Tucson on KOOL's 94.5 freq. Some station came in super clear with some CHR and then a made a turn left headed east and a country station took over, then heard the Kool freq come in as I got closer to home....but where they came from?????? ???

Northwest Bobby said:
Heard some skips down here south of Tucson on KOOL's 94.5 freq. Some station came in super clear with some CHR and then a made a turn left headed east and a country station took over, then heard the Kool freq come in as I got closer to home....but where they came from?????? ???

Probably Texas. This year has been great for tropo skip. (Or, not so great when it's on top of the station you're trying to listen to.)

I had Oklahoma City coming in like a local in the middle of Houston a few months back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom