• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Filtering out the buzzing noise during World Cup games

The vuvuzelas will apparently continue to be with the World Cup games in S. Africa - at least for the time being - but the company that delivers the games to broadcasters has stated it will reduce the stadium noise "substantially" due to many complaints from TV viewers.

The BBC stated it will permit its digital viewers to use the "red button" to select a secondary audio which is much quieter than the normal.

My immediate "fix" was to watch a Spanish-language broadcast of the games. The vocal emotion of the broadcasters tended to override the buzzing no matter I couldn't follow their descriptions. ;)

RFGuy said:
Neal Boortz was saying today that someone has Written a software filter for that noise. Don't Know the details, but who cares it is only soccer. Imported into the US so the moms can let thier sons play a sport without getting an owie. I agree to put pads and gear on and turn them into men! Football is a sport, soccer is wussy.

What you are actually describing is a cultural change that will affect sports and the media that follow sports in the next decade. As the young people who play soccer start to follow the sport, we will have another major activity which could reduce the interest in other sports, particularly baseball.

We have a US team in a tie with a powerful former World Cup winner... and viewership averaging nearly 10 million for the first 8 matches... a huge growth in just the 4 years since the last cup.

Bengalsfan said:
DavidEduardo said:
Bengalsfan said:
Or better yet...just don't watch it. Soccer isn't worth the trouble really.

That would be why it has more fans than Baseball and (American) Football combined.

Except here in the United States. And that is where our discussion is taking place, correct?

I'm receiving the list loud and clear here in Germany, LOL!

The first "w" in "www" stands for World, BTW. No reason to get all xenophobic over a silly sport!!

Kind Regards,
David

DavidEduardo said:
What you are actually describing is a cultural change that will affect sports and the media that follow sports in the next decade. As the young people who play soccer start to follow the sport, we will have another major activity which could reduce the interest in other sports, particularly baseball.

We have a US team in a tie with a powerful former World Cup winner... and viewership averaging nearly 10 million for the first 8 matches... a huge growth in just the 4 years since the last cup.

I dunno. My three boys all played soccer and none of them are a bit interested in the WC. I played, officiated and administrated and have only a passing interest (retired and nothing else to do over the summer syndrome).

Undoubtedly previous player interest will add more fans but it may have more to do with the number of Latinos in the country now than general population interest. No body is talking about the WC around my water cooler.

Oh, and that tie? Gaffe. Although the USA did play well defensively in the second half.

If professional soccer is to make serious inroads in America it needs to get faster and stop the "injury" diving. The biggest deterrent might well be the lack of time for commercials in televised games. About the only way to handle that without changing the game would be to use a split screen like IndyCar does.

DavidEduardo said:

Ummm, yea. You guys have been saying that for the last 20 years. I suppose you'll be saying it for the next 20 years. Judging by TV ratings, baseball and football have yet to see a decline in interest. In fact, while you guys have been waiting for soccer to overtake baseball and football, NASCAR has surpassed soccer.

The only thing that will curb the interest of baseball and football will be the greed of the TV networks along with MLB and the NFL along with strikes induced by the adolescent millionaire players and their unions. Soccer poses no threat to the sports.

Bengalsfan said:
The only thing that will curb the interest of baseball and football will be the greed of the TV networks along with MLB and the NFL along with strikes induced by the adolescent millionaire players and their unions. Soccer poses no threat to the sports.

Check the demos and size of baseball audiences. In many markets, stations have taken a pass on rights fees that are, today, too high!

The USA-England game had a bigger audience than the average for all but the top 5 or 6 scripted series or reality shows, and excellent demographics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom