• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ain't it odd that this is the only market where SBS does well?

Really. In their main markets they've struggled lately. They've lost Luis Jimenez in New York, Enrique y Joe in Miami. And yet in Puerto Rico the exact opposite has happened: as we all know, they've taken hold of the ranks of El Gangster and Funky Joe, as well as El Molusco. Univision and Liberman are beating the crap out of their other stations nationwide, but in Puerto Rico, these guys are giving a major dent to Uno Radio.

What do you guys think of SBS's work so far?

Identnut said:
Really. In their main markets they've struggled lately. They've lost Luis Jimenez in New York, Enrique y Joe in Miami. And yet in Puerto Rico the exact opposite has happened: as we all know, they've taken hold of the ranks of El Gangster and Funky Joe, as well as El Molusco. Univision and Liberman are beating the crap out of their other stations nationwide, but in Puerto Rico, these guys are giving a major dent to Uno Radio.

What do you guys think of SBS's work so far?

First, radio revenue in PR is off about 40% since 2006, meaning all stations have suffered.

SBS's most successful station, La Z, is almost a heritage station and was well established going back well before the SBS ownership. Mega was also successful when they bought it from Raúl Fuster; the morning show is expensive and is likely not profitable in today's economy. Estereotempo is off even more in revenues (and ratings), WODA's format is not a big sales draw at the agency level and 96.5 just changed format, leaving them without a news / talk station, a very important genre on the Island.

I'd say that UnoRadio is probably the more profitable of the groups, not SBS. It's not about 12+ ratings, it is about agency revenues for the major stations. Add in the huge decline in revenue market-wide, an over-radioed market, and it is difficult to call the winner here.

At least SBS is surviving in PR. Mega in New York is just catching up with X, and WPAT is floundering. Likewise in LA, El Chulo struggles against the powerhouses that are Piolín and Don Cheto; I've heard they do really well in the afternoon drive with El Mandril, though.

I do agree that Uno Radio is an excellent company. Both Salsoul and Fidelity have very entertaining programming. Not to mention that Salsoul has a better mix than Z-93, which almost seems to suffer from "La Gran D" syndrome (a lot of offbeat songs and non-hits). And I actually prefer Toca De To' (which is presently owned by their broker, MSG radio, while they work out stuff with the FCC to network WIAC with WCMN) to KQ105. (speaking of, when is the transaction expected to finish? I know congressional delegate Pierluisi has pushed to split Puerto Rico into various radio markets.)

I wonder, though, would 96.5 have been more profitable had SBS decided to, say, acquire an AM station to put it in? Or is there simply no room among Noti Uno, WKAQ and Radio Isla?

Identnut said:
At least SBS is surviving in PR. Mega in New York is just catching up with X, and WPAT is floundering. Likewise in LA, El Chulo struggles against the powerhouses that are Piolín and Don Cheto; I've heard they do really well in the afternoon drive with El Mandril, though.

KLAX does extremely well, and was #1 in the sales demos in LA (18-49 being the dominant Hispanic sales demo) for most of the last roughly 15 books. Remember, mornings in PPM is the third most important shift and middays is the most listened too, followed by afternoons. KLAX is one of a number of stations that have proven that just doing moderately well in mornings in the PPM world still allows an overall win if other dayparts are doing well.

I do agree that Uno Radio is an excellent company. Both Salsoul and Fidelity have very entertaining programming. Not to mention that Salsoul has a better mix than Z-93, which almost seems to suffer from "La Gran D" syndrome (a lot of offbeat songs and non-hits).

When I listen, I don't hear non-hits, and I think Pedro Arroyo, who has been with the station since it signed on as Z-93 in December of 1978 is doing a marvelous job with the music.

I know congressional delegate Pierluisi has pushed to split Puerto Rico into various radio markets.

That would be unfortunate, as it would cost the radio industry two to three million dollars a year, money that would make a signficant difference to some stations. And, if anyone wants a "Ponce" survey or a "Mayagúez" survey, they can break out the municipios of each of those urban areas. In any case, Puerto Rico has been a single unified market going back to the beginnings of the TV industry and, of course, to the newspaper business.

I wonder, though, would 96.5 have been more profitable had SBS decided to, say, acquire an AM station to put it in? Or is there simply no room among Noti Uno, WKAQ and Radio Isla?

Don't forget WAPA, which has one of the best coverage / network operations with 1260 and 680 and its synchronous boosters. Isla has an agenda beyond commercial radio, and we have news and talk on WIPR and even the university station, too. The problem with AM is that there are really not the necessary available stations to build a network... Ponce, Arecibo, Mayagúez and San Juan at a minimum. SBS failed on FM in part due to the lack of a network to bulk up´cume.

DavidEduardo said:
KLAX does extremely well, and was #1 in the sales demos in LA (18-49 being the dominant Hispanic sales demo) for most of the last roughly 15 books. Remember, mornings in PPM is the third most important shift and middays is the most listened too, followed by afternoons. KLAX is one of a number of stations that have proven that just doing moderately well in mornings in the PPM world still allows an overall win if other dayparts are doing well.

KLAX is interesting in regards to Puerto Rico. Like Salsoul, it seems to have a tight comedy line-up of DJ's: El Chulo, La Bronca y El Mandril.

When I listen, I don't hear non-hits, and I think Pedro Arroyo, who has been with the station since it signed on as Z-93 in December of 1978 is doing a marvelous job with the music.

Maybe it's just my age, but Salsoul seems to have much more streamlined playlist. I do know Salsoul has promos accusing Z of playing songs that nobody knows.

The famous Marianito Artau has said:
"Este fin de semana, no te rompas la cabeza escuchando salsa que no conoces. ¡Conéctate a tu fin de semana A PALO LIMPIO!"

Their response:
"¡Sal de la bazofia!"
"Bueno, señores, ¡el tema es cuántos gases te tiras después de comer!"

God, I love the radio rivalries and the promos they inspire.

That would be unfortunate, as it would cost the radio industry two to three million dollars a year, money that would make a signficant difference to some stations. And, if anyone wants a "Ponce" survey or a "Mayagúez" survey, they can break out the municipios of each of those urban areas. In any case, Puerto Rico has been a single unified market going back to the beginnings of the TV industry and, of course, to the newspaper business.

Would that benefit single market stations like FM-96 (WAEL in Mayagüez)?

Don't forget WAPA, which has one of the best coverage / network operations with 1260 and 680 and its synchronous boosters. Isla has an agenda beyond commercial radio, and we have news and talk on WIPR and even the university station, too. The problem with AM is that there are really not the necessary available stations to build a network... Ponce, Arecibo, Mayagúez and San Juan at a minimum. SBS failed on FM in part due to the lack of a network to bulk up´cume.

You seem to be right. Still, they could have really used a West Coast simulcast, even now as Ritmo: I know there are plenty of Dominicans in Barrio Obrero, but there's gotta be plenty on the West Coast too. Not to mention that my sister, who will be studying at el Colegio, has noticed that mayagüezanos have a taste for bachata... WAEL would have been perfect. Or even WXLX. What is La X doing with two West Coast simulcasts?

And WAPA doesn't even make the books. That being said, this station does have a built-in audience of fervent statehood supporters.

News-Talk wasn't even the first choice for 96.5. It was actually Merengue/Bachata, and the station was going to called el Zol, like it's sister in Miami (which begs the question, why didn't they brand the station as el Zol in the first place? It's not like Adventist Radio Sol was going to get pissed off when you've got Christian Radio Vida and Nueva Vida in the same market). I have a feeling that, had they done that switch in the first place, El Circo would have been on 93.7, and el Vacilón would have moved to 96.5. In retrospect, that move would have fit both demographic more: El Vacilón is show that, being live from New York, would appeal to Dominicans a lot, and Gangster and Funky would logically steal the audience from the other "salsa" station (yeah, I know, Salsoul, is all talk, but any Puerto Rican will still call it a salsa station). The decision to put in La Mega seemed like an afterthought, even though it worked like a charm. Circo's audience is theoreticallypretty old for a CHR (even the Spanish CHR that they became). Now both Circo and the show it moved to Reggaetón 94, El Despelote are among the top 5 morning shows in the island.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom