• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Groove 105.7 is a Dance CHR

I just heard Train's "Hey Soul Sister" on The Groove (and it WASN'T a dance mix)! Now, Janet Jackson's "Control". Maybe, instead of calling the format Rhythmic-AC, they should call it "Rythmic (AND) AC"....(AND) CHR....(AND)......good lord, who knows?!

(identity crisis)

KDM 7000 said:
Will all this happen before modern radio goes out of style or before it's surpassed by the new technologies to come?
Lets hope that if internet radio should take over, no one will buy or own ALL the stations! Lets also hope that the freedom to choose your format if you can afford your own net station continues to exist, whether or not it is corporate.

Good question. Wish I knew the answer. :-/

electroboy73 said:
I just heard Train's "Hey Soul Sister" on The Groove (and it WASN'T a dance mix)!
(identity crisis)

Honestly, this sounds like a good step. Even though I don't personally care for "Hey Soul Sister", it shows that The Groove stepping closer to a full-blown CHR, albeit, a Dance CHR. Likewise, The Beat will play songs that are not rhythmic chr sounding songs, it is still considered a Rhythmic CHR.

Right now, The Groove is the most listenable CHR in Atlanta.

Mark my words, CC is going to blow it and lose or get rid of Tripp West. It's the dumbest thing they could do, so I'm absolutely looking for it to happen.

RadioFreeAtlanta said:

I'm right there with you, man. And while I don't mind the (OCCASIONAL) older song they play BUT, they play the same ones.... and too MANY times a day. Seems anytime I switch to The Groove at all different times they're playing, "Wild Thang" by Tone Loc. And if it's not playing right when I first put it on, sure enough, in a about 5 minutes, there it is again! And they seem to do the same thing with, TLC's "No Scrubs", Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop...." and anything from Bobby Brown. Oh, and The hits from 70's have got to go....(makes me change it right back to.....Q100....and then I hear, and there of course...I only hear Daughtry, Colbie Calait, and John Mayer.
What I DO like about the groove is that they're good about NOT staying in a constant Urban-ONLY rut. I like the fact that you hear club-mixes of Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, The Killers, etc. But, SERIOUSLY....they need to lay off of playing, Donna Summer, ABBA and Tone Loc so much!

AS A SIDE NOTE: I've noticed the issue we have in Atlanta when it comes to having a pure CHR/Top 40 station is that the one's that sound promising as CHR but, always manage to do the job HALF WAY!

95.5 The Beat - (halfway there but, leans too urban, even for a rhythmic-CHR)
Q100 - (halfway there but, leans too AC/HOT-AC)
Star 94- (halfway there but, leans WAAAYYY too AC/HOT-AC)
105.7 The Groove - (halfway there but, leans too Urban Hot-AC)

Seems like one of these by now would have the guts to just FLIP the switch and just become the COMPLETE, 100% CHR PACKAGE and blow them all outta the water.

Oh well. Any thoughts?

I am not a fan of CC, but most of the top CHR stations in the nation are CC. [WHTZ NY, KIIS LA, WKSC Chicago, KHKS Dallas] If anybody could pull off a “pure” (that is a good tread someday, which station can go the longest without playing a song that gets the CHR experts’ underwear up in knots) CHR in Atlanta it will be CC. CC doesn’t have an extra 100 KW FM in Atlanta to make CHR. BTW CC has a rhythmic CHR in San Francisco that does well. Billy Gray (I know nobody on this board knows or cares but I want to try to be honest and not take credit or blame) once said: “a town only gets as good of a radio station as the advertisers allow. “ I am sure if someone could make real $$ with “pure or real” CHR there would be more than one station trying it. I guess the demographic make up of Atlanta is to blame. 105.7 with its “north side” signal should try CHR and worry only about north of I 20. Of course if they do well then either Star or Q with better signals could put the hurt in 105.7.

electroboy73 said:
RadioFreeAtlanta said:

I'm right there with you, man. And while I don't mind the (OCCASIONAL) older song they play BUT, they play the same ones.... and too MANY times a day. Seems anytime I switch to The Groove at all different times they're playing, "Wild Thang" by Tone Loc. And if it's not playing right when I first put it on, sure enough, in a about 5 minutes, there it is again! And they seem to do the same thing with, TLC's "No Scrubs", Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop...." and anything from Bobby Brown. Oh, and The hits from 70's have got to go....(makes me change it right back to.....Q100....and then I hear, and there of course...I only hear Daughtry, Colbie Calait, and John Mayer.
What I DO like about the groove is that they're good about NOT staying in a constant Urban-ONLY rut. I like the fact that you hear club-mixes of Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, The Killers, etc. But, SERIOUSLY....they need to lay off of playing, Donna Summer, ABBA and Tone Loc so much!

AS A SIDE NOTE: I've noticed the issue we have in Atlanta when it comes to having a pure CHR/Top 40 station is that the one's that sound promising as CHR but, always manage to do the job HALF WAY!

95.5 The Beat - (halfway there but, leans too urban, even for a rhythmic-CHR)
Q100 - (halfway there but, leans too AC/HOT-AC)
Star 94- (halfway there but, leans WAAAYYY too AC/HOT-AC)
105.7 The Groove - (halfway there but, leans too Urban Hot-AC)

Seems like one of these by now would have the guts to just FLIP the switch and just become the COMPLETE, 100% CHR PACKAGE and blow them all outta the water.

Oh well. Any thoughts?

The Bermuda Triangle of Traditional Top 40 just seems to still not be able to do it!

However, I do notice WWWQ's weekend mix show does play many things that SHOULD be played on rhythmic top 40's and rhythmic stations.

Well, now with WBTS out of the way, it looks like 105.7 The Groove are going after those displaced listeners and the DJs are inviting them to check their station out.

only1moore said:
Well, now with WBTS out of the way, it looks like 105.7 The Groove are going after those displaced listeners and the DJs are inviting them to check their station out.

105.7 THE GROOVE should now step up and go Rhythmic. Don't get me wrong the music is fine, but not so sure about the older R&B joints. However, I love the Saturday night mixshows with DJ ITP. I hate the fact that they are positioning themselves as "Atlanta's Feel Good Station." With 95.5 THE BEAT gone, this is time for CC to bring back former WILD 96.7's sound.

I don't see them going Hip Hop as the music isn't as big as it was a few years ago. Besides, Atlanta's already well-served by Hot 107.9 for that.
I do, however, see Groove 105.7 going in a Rhythmic friendly CHR/Pop direction similar to the sound of many other Clear Channel CHR/Pop stations (including nearby Chattanooga's Kiss FM). So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take out the 80s titles, and gradually peel off the 90s titles as well while concurrently adding more Currents into mix.

problems iIsee with the groove and them grabbing former BEAT listeners

1. Signal Strength and tower location. 20,000 Watts, trasmitter is 34 miles north of Atlanta. Not an easy station to listen to

2. Music Confusion. They've morphed all over the place since they've signed on. They were R&B, 80's 90's, then added new CHR SONGS, and now still play 90's R&B and 80's tracks along with CHR currents and recurrents. Looking at their logs it looks like a confused station musically. They have no TSL or now what is refered to ATE. With their mix shows the jury is still out although now that word on the street is that former Q100 dj Andre Perry is now over there who knows what angle their going for. He's a dance remix dj, not seein the old school/new school blend from him. If they grab Beat listeners it would be their upper end, but what upper end did they have?

3. Logo.. Although not a major issue it's still branding and their logo is a disco ball, their name "the Groove" If their gonna go after former BEAT listeners, you tell me what teen says.."im Groovin" or what former listener of the Beat who most likely listened to Hot 107.9 or Q100 would wear a t shirt with a disco ball on it. Again not a major issue but something to think about

4. Street presence. CC isn't putting money into this station, and from the looks of them on the street it shows. If all they are doing is club gigs, and ones in Buckhead and Midtown where the small group of trend setters(that think in their own minds they run ATL), the average BEAT listener didn't go to those clubs. Again. look at where The Beat frequented.

5. Jocks. Their look and their sound, they just don't have what a true CHURBAN has. Although Dennis Martinez has the background, he programmed on the West Coast, much different feel than the East Coast. You have to live and breathe ATL to connect to the audience here and they haven't done that. Plus the syndicated morning show thing. Elvis Duran is great, but for Atlanta? Jury is still out on that as well

this is not to attack the groove, it's just to point out somethings a radio listener sees. They may not be right to everyone else or may not hold true in the coming months, but for now, is what I see holding that station back from grabbing "Beat" listeners

todsmither said:
problems iIsee with the groove and them grabbing former BEAT listeners

1. Signal Strength and tower location. 20,000 Watts, trasmitter is 34 miles north of Atlanta. Not an easy station to listen to

2. Music Confusion. They've morphed all over the place since they've signed on. They were R&B, 80's 90's, then added new CHR SONGS, and now still play 90's R&B and 80's tracks along with CHR currents and recurrents. Looking at their logs it looks like a confused station musically. They have no TSL or now what is refered to ATE. With their mix shows the jury is still out although now that word on the street is that former Q100 dj Andre Perry is now over there who knows what angle their going for. He's a dance remix dj, not seein the old school/new school blend from him. If they grab Beat listeners it would be their upper end, but what upper end did they have?

3. Logo.. Although not a major issue it's still branding and their logo is a disco ball, their name "the Groove" If their gonna go after former BEAT listeners, you tell me what teen says.."im Groovin" or what former listener of the Beat who most likely listened to Hot 107.9 or Q100 would wear a t shirt with a disco ball on it. Again not a major issue but something to think about

4. Street presence. CC isn't putting money into this station, and from the looks of them on the street it shows. If all they are doing is club gigs, and ones in Buckhead and Midtown where the small group of trend setters(that think in their own minds they run ATL), the average BEAT listener didn't go to those clubs. Again. look at where The Beat frequented.

5. Jocks. Their look and their sound, they just don't have what a true CHURBAN has. Although Dennis Martinez has the background, he programmed on the West Coast, much different feel than the East Coast. You have to live and breathe ATL to connect to the audience here and they haven't done that. Plus the syndicated morning show thing. Elvis Duran is great, but for Atlanta? Jury is still out on that as well

this is not to attack the groove, it's just to point out somethings a radio listener sees. They may not be right to everyone else or may not hold true in the coming months, but for now, is what I see holding that station back from grabbing "Beat" listeners

You have a point there, but given what Clear Channel have been doing to its Rhythmic ACs in other markets lately (WISX/Philadelphia and KPLV/Las Vegas both leaning Hot AC and KPTT/Denver evolving to Rhythmic come to mind) anything can happen. Lets hope someone at Clear Channel/Atlanta is reading this.

You have a point there, but given what Clear Channel have been doing to its Rhythmic ACs in other markets lately (WISX/Philadelphia and KPLV/Las Vegas both leaning Hot AC and KPTT/Denver evolving to Rhythmic come to mind) anything can happen. Lets hope someone at Clear Channel/Atlanta is reading this.
[/quote]

Yes, because Clear Channel Atlanta has such a track record of following this board's suggestions/directives/wishes?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=34.06611,+-84.45417+(WWVA-FM)&om=1&ie=UTF8&z=14

from radio-locator. Transmitter driving distance from downtown Atlanta. 34.4 miles give or take a few miles how the crow flys

todsmither said:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=34.06611,+-84.45417+(WWVA-FM)&om=1&ie=UTF8&z=14

from radio-locator. Transmitter driving distance from downtown Atlanta. 34.4 miles give or take a few miles how the crow flys

That is fine, my error. But Atlanta is all around the tower technically, not just the dt area.

todsmither said:

click on walking, google maps shows you the shortest distance on any roads. 26.5 miles. and that's a LOT of twisting and turning, much more than any straight-line crow flying... closer to 20 or 21 miles i'd guess.

I went to the FCC website. It shows Atlanta and both Fulton and Dekalb Counties are within WWVA's primary coverage area, just like the one in Radio-Locator. Maybe Clear Channel should add some boosters/translators to the area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom