• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PD's The Worst in the market?

noflufftampa

Inactive
Inactive User
We've talked about the best and the worst owners in other markets....Anyone care to nominate their choice of the Worst PD's in this market? (and why?)

Who is the PD at Cox. That job must be like being an American League manager. Just flip a switch and fuggitaboutit.

The guy running (for lack of a better term) 102.5 The Bone, John Larson. WTH does this guy do over there besides tell Cowhead to keep the talk to a minimum and play the same, limited list of tired music throughout the rest of the day (mornings excluded)? There's not even a link to contact him on the station's site. ::)

Hey John, take some notes while sampling some real stations who know how to program music while utilizing the air talent. Here's just a few for starters: KZOK Seattle, 97 Rock Buffalo, KSHE 95 St. Louis.

Running Cox is actually easier than managing in the American League cause an AL manager has to make out a line-up card every night before dozing off.

Does this mean Cox is guaranteed homefield advantage for the Tampa Radio World Series every year? ;D

I guess. The question is who plays DH for CBS since they don't use one during the regular season?

I don't know who is the worst PD in town but any list of the top, or in the case bottom, has got to include Ron "Jomamma Johnson" Shepard at The Beat. Any success that station has enjoyed over the years has been in spite of not because of his leadership. He must have pictures of a powerful CC manager doing unspeakable acts. That is the only reason I could imagine him not having been fired by now. He is clueless.

anatharadiorefugee how did you com to this conclussion may I ask?

r

KOL said:
The guy running (for lack of a better term) 102.5 The Bone, John Larson. WTH does this guy do over there besides tell Cowhead to keep the talk to a minimum and play the same, limited list of tired music throughout the rest of the day (mornings excluded)? There's not even a link to contact him on the station's site. ::)

Hey John, take some notes while sampling some real stations who know how to program music while utilizing the air talent. Here's just a few for starters: KZOK Seattle, 97 Rock Buffalo, KSHE 95 St. Louis.

Quit regurgitating things that you hear on the radio. Form your own opinions.

Cox is a research-driven company. The music you hear on the Bone is what comes back from music tests.

Also, it would be beneficial for you to know that the target of your rant oversees programming on all of Cox's classic rock stations nationwide, so he must be doing something right in corporate's eyes.

Sorry "John". He (or you) is lucky to have a job regardless of the lack in creativity in 21st century radio. More power to him for duping corporate in order to get by. Regurgitating? Listen around and hear all the "cookie-cutter" sounds emulating and quit being the sheep. I've streamed most of the Cox properties and so far they ALL sound alike with the 3X5 liner cards and 52 minute music blocks. Take the challenge yourself and try a non-Cox classic rocker and then form an opinion, pal. ;D

BIGRIGGER said:
anatharadiorefugee how did you com to this conclussion may I ask?

r

May you ask? Sure you can. But, frankly, I am suprised that anyone who has worked with him would need to ask. My answer: I worked with him. Therefore, I came to my conclusion as a result of close and careful observation. Granted this is only my opinion, but I believe that he could not survive competition. Fortunately for him, there is no competition to speak of where the urban audience in Tampa is concerned.

I've worked with Ron in various fashions in the CC building and don't see what you see. I see a guy who busts his ass and expects his staff to do the same. If you don't that's not good for you! Then again we all have enemies and people who'll never be fans of our work or how we do things...

I surely have never been anything more than a weekend jock, which I was satisfied with for years. Radio definately was not my way of supporting my family. However, I have worked for several very notable PD's in this market, both at WQYK (Tom Rivers), Q105 Country (Ronnie Lane) and recently, US1035 (Travis Daily) and I will never say that they were bad to work for. Tom taught me the ropes when I knew NOTHING about radio and took me under his wing. Then I became stupid and got married, which then took me out of radio for 10 years....I last worked when you used carts for spots and actually played cd's. Now its all NextGen, Audio Vault and VoxPro, which I had NO CLUE about. After 9 months of bugging Travis, he hired me and showed me how to use the system, which is not easy for someone out of radio for 10 years. All PD's have to speak to a higher power and expect that things be done a certain way, be the best you can be and have fun doing what you came to work for. Although no longer in radio as I am pursuing Self Employment, Travis was by far the best I have worked for. Although seeing eye to eye was not fun at times, he was never disrespectful nor condescending. They have a job to do and their hands are tied in almost every aspect of their daily job. Just ask my employees of what I am to work for. Everyone will have their gripes, complaints and bad mouthing for "past" PD's, but your just pissed because YOUR NO LONGER THERE! YOU WERE CANNED, so give it a rest and move on!

BIGRIGGER said:
I've worked with Ron in various fashions in the CC building and don't see what you see. I see a guy who busts his ass and expects his staff to do the same. If you don't that's not good for you! Then again we all have enemies and people who'll never be fans of our work or how we do things...

I guess what we have here is the tale of the two Rons. I have never met that guy you discribed. In fact, I don't know anyone that has worked on his staff that has met your version of Ron. Your Ron sounds like a great guy, such a shame I never got to meet him. As for enemies, I have none. That being the case, I can't imagine that anyone would count me among their enemies. Life's too short for hate so, therefore, I hold no anamosity for anyone, Ron included.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom