• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So..I take it none of us were able to attend this meeting...?

The Newspaper industry has been dishing doom and gloom for years now. The Tampa Tribune just last week used their editorial page to whine about a bill that would remove "legal notices" from the newspapers and put them on a State website. The Trib's argument against this bill: Seniors and minorities would be deprived of reading the legal notices! In reality, they see an automatic and easy ad dollar going down the drain. For some reason newspapers feel they are due entitlements, although they still command a lion's share of ad dollars. Look at that full color full run ad in Sunday's paper and imagine an advertiser dumping 10 grand in one day on your station!

Studio20 said:
Radio...anyone?

It's much easier for people to bitch about it online instead of taking something in front of the people that have the power to do something about it.

That only roughly 30 people showed up speaks volumes. ::)

That only roughly 30 people showed up speaks volumes.

Unlike the 2007 hearing, this one got almost no local publicity outside of WMNF -- whose news director reportedly scorched Media General. Suppose the local media giants "learned their lesson" from '07 and decided to keep this one in the dark?

Also unlike 2007, no actual commissioners were present.

The problem I have with the proposed changes is that (if my understanding is correct) the proposed bill doesn't centralize the public notices into one place. My understanding is that under the bill, each entity would place its public notices on its own website.

This means that citizens would have to regularly check hundreds of websites in order to keep abrest of what's going on.

If the legislature wants to delete the requirement that notices be printed in the newspaper, they should at least specify a single regional website where all such notices would be posted. It's just a matter of common sense.

The meeting itself was regarding cross-ownership such as the Media General "grandfathered" situation owning WFLA-TV and The Tampa Tribune. My post was off topic, however, The Tribune's editorial regarding the bill affecting "legals" was self serving. Their main argument was that seniors and minorities will be deprived of seeing "legal" notices. Always a good ploy to bring out minorities and seniors. So, this means that seniors and minorities are too poor or stupid to go on-line? In reality, the Tribune sees an "order taker" cash cow going down the drain.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom