• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite Alternative radio stations

WBIMDJ

Leading Participant
What it says, what are your favorite alternative radio stations from around the country? Here's my list:

1. WFNX 101.7 - Boston, MA
2. WEQX 102.7- Albany/Manchester, VT
3. WWCD 101.1 - "CD 101" Columbus, OH
4. WBRU - 95.5 Providence, RI
5. KBZT - 94.9 "FM 94/9" San Diego, CA
6. KRBZ - 96.5 "The Buzz" Kansas City, MS
7. KNRK - 94.7 "94/7 FM" Portland, OR
8. KSJO - 92.3 "Channel 92.3" San Jose, CA
9. WRFF - 104.5 "Radio 104.5" Philadelphia, PA
10. WRXP - 101.9 "The NY Rock Experience" New York, NY

Fave commercial alt. rock at the moment:

1. CD 101/Columbus
2. FM 94/9/San Diego
3. WEQX

That's about it. I've got all the "top" commercial alt. rockers in my iPhone but they all sound way too corporate and repetitive. Strangely enough, The Spy/OKC is too obscure and non-repetitive. There's a fine line here. There's a balance that is attainable between art and commerce. Viva REV 105.

Saladressing said:
Fave commercial alt. rock at the moment:

1. CD 101/Columbus
2. FM 94/9/San Diego
3. WEQX

That's about it. I've got all the "top" commercial alt. rockers in my iPhone but they all sound way too corporate and repetitive. Strangely enough, The Spy/OKC is too obscure and non-repetitive. There's a fine line here. There's a balance that is attainable between art and commerce. Viva REV 105.

Funny thing, I felt the SAME exact way about said station. You just can't put your alternative obscurities from the 80's 90's and onward on shuffle and expect a good alternative station. There has to be a balance.

hubcity said:
I rather like The Spy, and at the same time the WOXY people think I'm too repetitive. I'm confused.

(Try it - http://wbjb.org/altrok.)

When you're a commercial alternative station broadcasting on FM like The Spy is versus WOXY.com which was internet only (with the exception of an HD-2 in Cincy), obviously things are different. But then again, WOXY is no longer around, so there you go.

#1 101X---------------Austin
#2 96-5 Planet Radio---Lafayette, LA
#3 94-5 The Buzz------Houston
#4 102-1 The Edge-----Dallas
#5 105-7 The Point-----St Louis
#6 91X-----------------Tijuana
#7 KROQ---------------Los Angeles
#8 96-5 The Buzz-------Kansas City
#9 94-7 The Buzz-------OKC
#10 106-5 The Whale----Anchorage
#11 89-7 The River------Council Bluffs, IA/Omaha
#12 X104-9-------------Baton Rouge
#13 104-1 KYRK---------New Orleans (Home of the Super Bowl Champions)
#14 100.3---------------Little Rock
#15 98-9----------------Shreveport, LA
#16 KUPD----------------Phoenix
#17 92.1-----------------Tucson
#18 105-9----------------Orlando
#19 WCPR----------------Biloxi
#20 103-9----------------Lake Arrowhead, CA

My favorite stations are defunct as FM stations go. 99.1 WHFS/DC has ended up a subchannel on 94.7 HD2 and Y100/Philly is XPNs 88.5 HD2. HFS is pretty much a listener suggested MP3 broadcast but Y-Rock has some very good DJs and a following and is actually more cutting edge than when on FM main channels. But as far as my FM radio goes at work.....nada...no,not nada surf just ........

evolve991 said:
My favorite stations are defunct as FM stations go. 99.1 WHFS/DC has ended up a subchannel on 94.7 HD2 and Y100/Philly is XPNs 88.5 HD2. HFS is pretty much a listener suggested MP3 broadcast but Y-Rock has some very good DJs and a following and is actually more cutting edge than when on FM main channels. But as far as my FM radio goes at work.....nada...no,not nada surf just ........

C'mon Evolve, you can at least produce a top five.

Like Vincent Vega once said, "You gotta have an opinion."

93-3TheSurge said:
#1 101X---------------Austin
#2 96-5 Planet Radio---Lafayette, LA
#3 94-5 The Buzz------Houston
#4 102-1 The Edge-----Dallas
#5 105-7 The Point-----St Louis
#6 91X-----------------Tijuana
#7 KROQ---------------Los Angeles
#8 96-5 The Buzz-------Kansas City
#9 94-7 The Buzz-------OKC
#10 106-5 The Whale----Anchorage
#11 89-7 The River------Council Bluffs, IA/Omaha
#12 X104-9-------------Baton Rouge
#13 104-1 KYRK---------New Orleans (Home of the Super Bowl Champions)
#14 100.3---------------Little Rock
#15 98-9----------------Shreveport, LA
#16 KUPD----------------Phoenix
#17 92.1-----------------Tucson
#18 105-9----------------Orlando
#19 WCPR----------------Biloxi
#20 103-9----------------Lake Arrowhead, CA

Interesting list, I've heard of maybe two out of those twenty stations. I'd be willing to bet, most of them lean heavy on the active rock? ;D

WBIMDJ said:
Interesting list, I've heard of maybe two out of those twenty stations. I'd be willing to bet, most of them lean heavy on the active rock? ;D

Which two? Ok, I see the Buzz in KC on your list, so what was the other station?

Yes, most do lean heavily on active rock, which seems to be the current trend of most alt rock formats. 101X in Austin has stayed true to the format, and that is why it is tops on my list. I am guessing you are from the northeast, just by looking at your list.

93-3TheSurge said:
WBIMDJ said:

Which two? Ok, I see the Buzz in KC on your list, so what was the other station?

Yes, most do lean heavily on active rock, which seems to be the current trend of most alt rock formats. 101X in Austin has stayed true to the format, and that is why it is tops on my list. I am guessing you are from the northeast, just by looking at your list.

Ok, well I know KROQ, 96-5 The Buzz, and 91x, I guess that's three. If you like how 101X sounds, you should check out some of the stations in my list. They all tend to focus on the more "Indie" alternative acts, such as Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mumford & Sons, The XX, etc.

WCPR is active rock.

I used to live in San Diego and I loved FM 94/9. I was listening when it signed on! I had no idea it was switching (it had been an 80s station). Another stations I liked but are no longer around are New Rock One Zero Seven from Pensacola, 93X Memphis and the Zephyr from New Orleans.

1. WROX-FM - 96.1 96X Norfolk Virginia
2. WRXL-FM - 102.1 The X Richmond Virginia
3. WWDC-FM - 101.1 DC101 Washington DC
4. WRFF - 104.5 "Radio 104.5" Philadelphia, PA
5. WRXP - 101.9 "The NY Rock Experience" New York, NY
6. WPLA - 107.3 The Planet Jacksonville FL
7. WSUN - 97.1 97X Tampa Bay FL
8. WXDX-FM - 105.9 The X Pittsburgh PA

WBIMDJ said:
Ok, well I know KROQ, 96-5 The Buzz, and 91x, I guess that's three. If you like how 101X sounds, you should check out some of the stations in my list. They all tend to focus on the more "Indie" alternative acts, such as Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mumford & Sons, The XX, etc.

I checked out 101.7 out of Boston and 101.9 in New York, those were more "indie" than active, which is good. WFNX's coverage area isn't all that great, but as long as your in Boston it doesn't matter.

the golden boy said:
Another stations I liked but are no longer around are New Rock One Zero Seven from Pensacola, 93X Memphis and the Zephyr from New Orleans.

I'm glad you mentioned 106.1 The Zephyr out of New Orleans, I grew up listening to that station. I was really sad when it flipped, I was about 16 at the time.

I went to college at Southern Miss and sometimes the Zephyr's signal would come into Hattiesburg. Was a real treat when it did come in.

By the way, I'm probably guilty of being too subtle, but this is probably not the time for subtlety...

I've been running a web-based station since 2000, and have graduated up to an HD2 here in central NJ, with a Modern Rock station that's free of Active Rock incursions on "true alternative", so to speak.

We're Altrok 90.5 HD2, you can tune in online at http://wbjb.org/altrok and we're a lot of folks' new favorite station...hopefully yours, too.

Take KSJO Channel 92.3 off my list. Yet another great station Clear Channel has screwed up, they have now recently tweaked their playlist (for the bad, of course). Gone is the good alternative music they were playing before from new and upcoming acts like Hockey, We Are Scientists, Miike Snow, The Gaslight anthem etc. As well as great older classic modern rock from the 80's and 90's, including deeper songs like Love and Rockets "All In My Mind", The Clash's "Police On My Back", that were in rotation, among others. Added instead now are the crappy active rock artists from the corporate cookie cutter playlist including Shinedown, Seether, Evanescence (puke). As well as your hourly dose of the overplayed Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Linkin Park tracks we've all heard 10,000 times. With that, the station is bland as hell now. In other words, it sounds like every other crappy station CC runs. I remember when 92.3 first launched and I heard how good it was I knew it was only a matter of time before they ruined it.

Clear Channel sucks!!!

Here's my list for whatever it's worth. I got it up to 20 by including rock-leaning AAA stations and Canadian stations

1. WWCD Columbus OH
2. WEQX Machester VT
3. WRNR Annapolis MD
4. KNRK Portland OR
5. WFNX Boston MA
6. CKPK Vancouver BC
7. KINB Oklahoma City OK
8. KBZT San Diego CA
9. WXRT Chicago IL
10. CJZN Victoria BC
11. WBRU Providence RI
12. CILV Ottawa ON
13. WRXP New York NY
14. KSLG Eureka CA
15. WLUM Milwaukee WI
16. KROX Austin TX
17. WXPK White Plains NY
18. KRBZ Kansas City MO
19. KXRK Salt Lake City UT
20. CFNY Toronto ON

KRXF in Bend Oregon probably would have made the list if it had an internet stream. Honorable mention: WRFF and KSJO (not bad for Clear Channel) KNND (used to be great, now only fairly good)
WVOD (Manteo NC) CHDI (Edmonton AB) WRLT, KROQ (see KNND) XETRA snd WXTM

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom