WLPL Memories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WLPL Memories

jhguthlac

WLPL Memories

In the late 1960's, WSID-FM changed call letters to WLPL and dropping the Top 40 Soul format went straight Top 40. Does anyone besides me have memories of that station? Where I lived at the time (in Delaware) my house favored Baltimore stations over Philadelphia. In those days, there was usually a Baltimore/Philly adjacency (sp) on every FM frequency. WLPL was next to WIFI, so my radios got WLPL better.

Re: WLPL Memories

92 WLPL Baltimore was one of 2 stations I listened to on my first 'real' stereo. This was about 1976 and I was about 12 so I don't recall any jock names except for a "Johnny" I believe. I do know that between 92 'LPL and 105 WKTK I had the neighbors banging on the wall.

Studios were in old movie theater near Park Circle. Ask any ex-employee about the GM's "availability light".

WSID-FM did not go right from Soul to Top 40. In early 1969, the station went rock, meaning album rock. The call letters were still WSID-FM. Top 40 and the call letter change to WLPL came about a year later, with LPL standing for "Land of Pleasant Listening."

BobSacamano

Grew up listening to the liks of Jerry St. James, Kris-earl Phillips, and of course,...The Smoooooooker!

If anyone is interested, the WLPL calls were on an FM in Walpole, NH (on the NH/VT border) for quite a while in the late 90's/early 00's.

ekaj58

I eas just remembering WLPL yesterday when I heard the song Jackie Blue on a TV commercial. Wow - 1975 just flooded back to me, listening to the DJ Joe Pachino. Talk about a blast from the past!

I remember in The summer of 1981, WLPL did a 60's and 70s weekend, which was probably a pre-curser to the flip in the fall of 1981 to WYST 92 Star and the AC format.

My good friend at the time, who I've lost touch with, was a DJ at both WLPL and WKTK circa 1979 to 1981. He was the Big Banana, later Chuck Montana at KTK-105 and Chuck Weaver at WLPL. I'm always on the lookout for recordings of that time period.

Anyone remember Scott Dugan?

Michael
    Michael <br />Owner<br />RadioWaves.us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast