• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dumbed Down Democratic Dialogue

TheBigA

Walk of Fame Participant
Who says Michael Copps is a boring blue-blooded bureaucrat? He knows how to come up with the snappy sound bite when called upon. Interesting commentary, but it ignores the fact that in his many years on the Commission, Copps has been unable to build consensus to get his agenda accomplished. Washington wonks will see this as another attempt on Copps' part to build a broadcasting mission for the FCC, and attract more funding to accomplish it. Because the fact is it takes money to increase regulation. It takes money to shorten license terms. It takes money to do all the things he suggests. And the Congress has far too many more productive places to put its money right now. And a few that are less productive, but more popular. That's why Copps' speach will go ignored.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/71749/copps-rips-broadcasters-at-fcc-public-interest-wor

I agree with his comment of 3 decades of horrendous decisions by regulators. But the FCC isn't unique in that area.

Public Figures, Politicians, Movers-and-Shakers. Call them whatever you like. There are people who expend energy to try and shape our civilization. (Other people are content or compelled to go about living their lives without performing identifiable actions that would turn "the ship of state" one way or the other.)

The first group has two kinds of tools they can fling while "expending this energy". (1) They can originate and get implemented new rules, new regulations, new laws. (2) They can rattle the dishes, shake the leaves, generally may noise that gets the attention of people which in turn results in changing civilization one person at a time.

You and I come to a discussion forum like this. We take the time to read. We take the time to write. Why? One motive is that we will cause someone who has never picked up the pancake before and looked to see if it has two sides. That someone may pitch the pancake down and walk away which he was going to do anyway. Or, because you and I talked about the pancake, someone may pick it up, recognize that it looks good on both sides, and eat the thing.... and go tell other people about pancakes.

Maybe Michael Copps is just YOU and ME... standing on a different stage.... using a different megaphone. If we as a people, a government, a civilization NEVER see anything Michael Copps proposes become law, rule or regulation, maybe the world will be a better place for our children and grandchildren because YOU and Michael Copps and ME thatched a few braincells.

And when the temperature gets about five degrees warmer on the average day, I shall go and thatch my lawn and watch it grow and prosper for yet another season.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom