• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot mix type radio show

shadough

Frequent Participant
Yes I know, HotMix was axed by Premiere a couple years ago, however, I remember finding a similar syndicated show while surfing the web one day, several months ago, but I didn't bookmark it. Can't remember the name of it but it was (just like HotMix) a 4 hour radio show of beat to beat dance mix for syndication to radio stations. Anyone know what I'm thinking of? I remember you could download sample tracks of the show in the different genre's it was available in (dance, chr, rhythmic, trance, etc.) I've been surfing trying to find it but no luck yet. Can anyone help?

Dave Rajput was the original "Hot Mix" Mixer back in 1984. He started the show on KOPA 100.7 in Arizona which ran on Saturday Nights. When the station flipped to KSLX in 1985, Dave then offered the show to KZZP 104.7 and the show was a Saturday Night staple until they flipped to Variety in 1990-ish. I believe this Arizona creation became national in 1988 when it became sydicated. It remained sucessfull thoughout the 90's as they branched out into various formats and brought on new mixers like Aaron Scofield (Modern Mix / Retro Mix), Markus Schulz, Paul Yates (Urban Mix), DJ Blade (Mainstream). It was actually around 2000 when Premiere got rid of the syndication and the remaining jocks did their shows independantly. I think DJ Blade is the only remaining one and can be found here:

http://www.fusionradionetworks.com/programs.html

Blade does indeed continue the tradition of quality and consistency that Hot Mix has always been known for! We currently provide both Mainstream & Rhythm mixes.

Re: HOT MIX type radio show

Ah yes, the HOT MIX radio show from so many years ago. Yes, Darin "DJ Blade" Taoka produces a weekly 4 hr HOT MIX show. His work is flawless and I'm glad that the show is still alive and available, it warms my heart. Thank you to rdub.com for keeping syndication flowing in the era of the internet and "free" (stolen) music.

Here is some timeline information on the original HOT MIX that Andrew and I promoted/marketed/sold to stations from 1986 thru 1989. STARTED on KZZP-FM in MAY 1986. (*originally aired on KOPA-FM from 3-85 thru 1-86, my "learning period")

At the end of 1986, HOT MIX had five stations in weekly syndication; Phx, K.C., Orlando, San Jose, Tucson.

1987 thru 1989: The formative 3 years when the independent HOT MIX Radio Network made their most significant national impact in CHR & CROSSOVER radio syndication. The show was marketed utilizing custom promotional packages, which were personalized and sent to stations, our attendance at every major radio convention, along with thousands of phone calls, and hundreds of messages left....

....by 1989, HOT MIX was being heard in over 30 markets...including:
New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Atlanta, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Houston, Miami, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Orlando, Hartford, Tucson, San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose, and still pulling high ratings in Phoenix at KZZP-FM.

http://www.discjockeys.com/hotmixhistory.php (Andrew wrote the "history", the timelines are generally accurate)

Actually Hot Mix was on KRBE Houston as of late 1987 on Friday and Saturday Nights under the name "The Friday/Saturday Night Power Mix". After January 1988 it was only heard on Friday Nights when they went live from The Ocean Club on Saturday Nights.

Man I used to look forward to those shows, they seemed to just make my weekends feel like a party. It was the first place I heard the DMC Remix of Yaz's Situation (Re-Situated, which I own a copy of now :) ). I recorded a few shows but they are not complete recordings anymore. Wish those shows were available somewhere

Last edited:
Have to thank you Dave for the insight of these shows. They're just one piece of greatness from my younger days that made it as awesome as it was. Up until a few weeks ago I didn't know our Power Mix show on KRBE was a nationally syndicated show, until I came across a piece of audio on one of my old tapes that I had never heard before, crediting Hot Mix, "mixed in program by Dave Rajput and produced by Andrew Star". Had to do a search to see if I could find out more and here I am.

Have to thank you Dave for the insight of these shows. They're just one piece of greatness from my younger days that made it as awesome as it was. Up until a few weeks ago I didn't know our Power Mix show on KRBE was a nationally syndicated show, until I came across a piece of audio on one of my old tapes that I had never heard before, crediting Hot Mix, "mixed in program by Dave Rajput and produced by Andrew Star". Had to do a search to see if I could find out more and here I am.

Question. Did the Live from the Ocean Club begin airing on KRBE in Houston before, during, or after KKBQ (93Q) began its Club 93Q and Live on the Cutting Edge and broadcasting live from Club 6400? I seem to remember it being before. Yet, 93Q also aired live from Netwerk, Detour, DV8, and a few other clubs. I also remember Energy 96.5 (KNRJ back then) also broadcasting live from some clubs and I think DJ Riddler started as a mixshow DJ on that station. There was so much greatness happening on the radio in Houston during that period of time.

On a side note, I sure wish there was a way to get my hands on any old recordings from Planet Dance on Power 92 in Phoenix (KKFR) back in the early 90's. That was a pretty great mix show. I used to have some recordings, but misplaced them.

Question. Did the Live from the Ocean Club begin airing on KRBE in Houston before, during, or after KKBQ (93Q) began its Club 93Q and Live on the Cutting Edge and broadcasting live from Club 6400? I seem to remember it being before. Yet, 93Q also aired live from Netwerk, Detour, DV8, and a few other clubs. I also remember Energy 96.5 (KNRJ back then) also broadcasting live from some clubs and I think DJ Riddler started as a mixshow DJ on that station. There was so much greatness happening on the radio in Houston during that period of time.

On a side note, I sure wish there was a way to get my hands on any old recordings from Planet Dance on Power 92 in Phoenix (KKFR) back in the early 90's. That was a pretty great mix show. I used to have some recordings, but misplaced them.

Actually yes KRBE was the first to do weekend mix shows and the first to go live from a nightclub (The Ocean Club) in January 1988. 93Q wasn't able to go live from a club (6400) until May 29, 1988, (almost 5 months later), all of those other clubs you mentioned all came along after. Energy came along in the spring of 1989, their first club was Club Proteus out in the Heights where Arnes Party store is now. Riddler did tell me not too long ago that he spun Decadance for Energy a few times. I wasn't aware of that. Yeah wish there was a way to get my hands on some of the old 6400 shows and Ocean Club. I have ALOT of them but lost a few over the years. I know an engineer who was a dj back in the late 80s at 93Q who has some of the old studio tapes from the station. He says some of those tapes do have 6400 broadcasts on them but he doesn't have the equipment to play them on. John Lander is the copyright holder of all of the old 93Q stuff, I've heard he has probably every 6400 broadcast recorded

Last edited:

Actually yes KRBE was the first to do weekend mix shows and the first to go live from a nightclub (The Ocean Club) in January 1988. 93Q wasn't able to go live from a club (6400) until May 29, 1988, (almost 5 months later), all of those other clubs you mentioned all came along after. Energy came along in the spring of 1989, their first club was Club Proteus out in the Heights where Arnes Party store is now. Riddler did tell me not too long ago that he spun Decadance for Energy a few times. I wasn't aware of that. Yeah wish there was a way to get my hands on some of the old 6400 shows and Ocean Club. I have ALOT of them but lost a few over the years. I know an engineer who was a dj back in the late 80s at 93Q who has some of the old studio tapes from the station. He says some of those tapes do have 6400 broadcasts on them but he doesn't have the equipment to play them on. John Lander is the copyright holder of all of the old 93Q stuff, I've heard he has probably every 6400 broadcast recorded

Actually I put together a post of some old airchecks on this thread (check out post #44): http://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...OVERHAUL-ASAP!!-Nevermind-I-ve-given-up/page5

Wait, are you DJ Rage on Mixcloud? If so, I've listened to many of your recordings countless times since they have been posted and some are actually in the post I spoke about above.

I have some recorded tapes from 104 KRBE, Energy 96.5 and Mix 93 from the late 1980s and early 1990s that I burned on to CDs. They were recorded off radio from Network and Club Proteus back in the day. Those were the days!!

I have some recorded tapes from 104 KRBE, Energy 96.5 and Mix 93 from the late 1980s and early 1990s that I burned on to CDs. They were recorded off radio from Network and Club Proteus back in the day. Those were the days!!

Those would certainly be a treat to listen to!

1987 thru 1989: The formative 3 years when the independent HOT MIX Radio Network made their most significant national impact in CHR & CROSSOVER radio syndication. The show was marketed utilizing custom promotional packages, which were personalized and sent to stations, our attendance at every major radio convention, along with thousands of phone calls, and hundreds of messages left....

WNCI in Columbus, Ohio, was running two dance mix shows at this time, one on Friday night which I think was your Hot Mix, and then what I believe was a locally produced show on Saturday night. Or maybe it was the other way around. In the same market, 92X was running a competing show on one of those nights with an ever-so-slightly edgier selection.

It was awesome. As a pop-and-dance loving teenager I was just lost in the music. Couldn't get enough of it. I even made my own pause-button cassette edits of my favorite songs and transitions from a couple of the shows. It all just sounded so fresh and flawless. I didn't care that every mix was totally by the numbers and the on-air DJs could be counted on to ruin every other transition with their endless yapping and self-promotion.

Buying maxi-singles and listening to the Hot Mix was my gateway drug. I went way down the rabbit hole after that, and was, for a time in the '90s, a small-time club and rave DJ & promoter. So far I have not met anyone who went down the same path. It seems no one into underground techno and house ever had a soft spot for late '80s freestyle, R&B and dance-pop. Oh well.

The memories of those shows were all lost in time until I recently stumbled across some recordings someone made of a weekend dance mix show in Mexico City in 1986–1990. They really take me back. I've listened to a dozen of these shows and never once is "Hot Mix" mentioned, but the selection and style is 100% the same, to my ears, and there are almost no voiceovers. The guy is convinced that the resemblance to Hot Mix is just a coincidence, and that the mixes were made by the Mexican DJ who presented the shows. I keep hoping I'll run across a cue sheet that proves him wrong, but so far, no luck. Hot Mix playlists from before the ABC deal are nowhere to be found.

So maybe you can help. I guess the only question is: did you syndicate the show to WFM 96.9 in Mexico City?

I'm not going to try to tear anyone down here; the guy who taped the shows is just an excited fan like me. He can believe what he wants. I am just dying to know to satisfy my own curiosity.

Anyway thank you guys for all the hard work you did making and promoting the show back then. I was going through a really rough time at home, and these shows were a real escape for me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom