• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SYNDICATED PROGRAMS THAT HAVE JUMPED FROM STATION TO STATION

James Westerfield said:
Access Hollywood

WESH > WKMG > WOFL > WKMG > WESH

Bob Vila's Home Again

WESH > WKMG

Divorce Court (1999 version)

WKCF > WRBW > WOFL and WRBW

Donahue

WESH > WCPX (WKMG) > WRBW

Extra:

WKCF > WKMG

Family Feud (current):

WRBW > WFTV

Inside Edition:

WFTV > WCPX (WKMG) > WRBW > not aired at all > WKMG

Jenny Jones:

WFTV > WKCF

Jerry Springer:

WCPX (WKMG) > WKCF > WESH > WKCF

Judge Joe Brown:

WRBW > WESH > WRBW > WOFL

Judge Judy:

WCPX (WKMG) > WRBW > WESH > WRBW > WOFL

Judge Mills Lane:

WKCF > WRDQ

Live w/Regis and Kelly (as it is titled now)

WFTV > WESH

Martha

WESH > WOFL

Martha Stewart Living

WESH > WCPX (WKMG) > WESH

Maury:

WESH > WKCF > WOFL/WRBW > WKCF

Montel

WKCF > WESH > WKMG > WOFL/WRBW

People's Court (current)

WFTV > WRBW > WOFL/WRBW

Ricki Lake

WKCF > WCPX (WKMG) > WKCF > WOFL > WRBW

Sally Jessy Raphael

WCPX (WKMG) > WESH > WKMG

Wheel of Fortune

WCPX (WKMG) > WFTV

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

WKMG > WFTV

The original People's Court was on WESH and then moved to WOFL in 1990.

bpatrick said:
On the subject of talk shows, in Atlanta Regis & Kelly
moved from WAGA to WSB while it was still Regis & Kathie
Lee. Sally also moved from WAGA to WSB; Montel was
back and forth between WSB and WXIA.

Two shows that have been on WSB their entire runs:
Oprah and ET. Inside Edition has been all over the place,
having run on WAGA, WXIA, WSB, and WGCL.

Re Orlando, I understand that WFTV got Wheel Of Fortune
when WKMG passed on Jeopardy! Seems there was no place
to put it before their 5:30 news (they had Happy Days, Three's
Company, and MASH from 4-5:30), and PM Magazine was dominating
the 7 PM ratings in Orlando in 1984. So King World in effect said, take
both or don't take either. WFTV runs Jeopardy! at 7 and Wheel at 7:30,
and WKMG is still looking for a viable competitor.

I think in the early days, Pat and Vanna were on WKMG at 7:30 right after PM Magazine. Then, I think in approximately 1985 WOF moved to WFTV to join J! In the fall of 1984, there was WKRP, Three's Company, and MASH.

Columbus, OH

Oprah
(1986-1991) Ch. 6 WSYX ( First at 4pm then in 1988 moved to 5pm lead-in 6:00 News)
(1991-present Ch 10. WBNS (back at 4pm- present)

Geraldo
WSYX> WCMH > WWHO

Montel Williams
WSYX> WTTE> WCMH> WBNS> WCMH

Live Regis & Kathie Lee ( Kelly)
WSYX>WCMH> WBNS

Ricki Lake
WBNS>WWHO

Extra
WSYX>WCMH

A Current Affiar
WBNS>WSYX

Hard Copy
WCMH>WSYX

Jenny Jones
WSYX>WCMH>WWHO

Jerry Springer
WSYX>WCMH>WSYX>WTTE

Sally Jessy Raphel
WCMH>WSYX>WTTE

Maury Povich
WSYX>WCMH>WBNS>WCMH>WTTE

Inside Edition
WSYX>WBNS>WCMH

Donahue
WCMH>WSYX

Judge Judy
WSYX>WTTE>WCMH>WTTE>WSYX

Judge Mathis
WCMH>WTTE

Anchorage (to the best of my knowledge and based on old TV listings I've printed over the years):

Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy
KTVA>KIMO

Oprah Winfrey
KIMO>KTVA

Entertainment Tonight
KTVA>KIMO>KTBY>back to KIMO>back to KTVA

Live with Regis and Kathie Lee/Kelly
KTBY>KTUU

Dunno about the other shows.

Here's my syndie show jumps thru the years in my life

Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek

To Tell The Truth -Garry Moore/Joe Garagiola

WOOD-TV 8 NBC 1969-71
WOTV 41 ABC 1971-72
WZZM-TV 13 1972-77

The Hollywood Squares Peter Marshall syndie

WOOD tV 8 1971 or '72-73
WZZM TV 1973-78
WOTV 41 1978-80
WWMT CBS 3 1980-81

The Nighttime Price Is Right Dennis James/Bob Barker

WOOD TV 8 1972-78
WWMT 3 1978-79

Match Game PM Gene Rayburn
WOOD TV 8 1975-78
WWMT 3 1978-81 (the last two years were the daily syndie MG's)
WOTV 41 1981-86(?) the last several years in reruns including 1985-86 ,when MG was slated to be revived until ET revealed Rayburn's age. Damn you ET!.

Family Feud PM-Dawson
WOTV 41 1977-80 I think
WOOD TV 8 1980-81
WZZM TV 13 1981-85

The Joker's Wild Jack Barry/Bill Cullen
WZZM TV 13 1977-81
WWMT 1982 (they were late in getting the 1981-82 eps. because of Leave It To the Women being axed at noon but 3 played all eps. that season)
They also aired the Bill Cullen eps. from 1984-86 when TJW ended

WOOD TV 8 1982-84
more later.

As promised more syndie info

GR-K-Zoo-BC (continued)

Tic Tac Dough Wink Martindale/Jim Caldwell

WWMT 3 1979-84

WOTV 41 1984-86

Wheel Of Fortune Pat Sajak & Vanna White

WOOD TV 8 1983-85
WZZM-TV 13 1985-92
WWMT 3 1992-present

Jeopardy! Alex Trebek

WWMT 3 1984-85, 1992-present
WZZM-TV 13 1985-92

Entertainment TOnight

WOTV 41 1981-I believe the mid 90's then it went to WWMT,then WOOD and now WZZM.

Lansing/Jackson

To Tell The Truth Moore/Garagiola
WLNS-TV CBS 6 1974-75
WILX TV NBC 10 1976-77

Let's make A Deal Monty Hall

WLNS-TV 6 1973-75
WILX-TV 10 1975-77

Tic Tac Dough
WLNS TV 6 1979-80
WILX Tv 10 1980-81

Neither it nor Joker's Wild or Bullseye were aired in Lansing for the rest of their runs you had to get WJRT Tv Flint or WDIV Tv Detroit for the Barry & Enrights

ET

WILX Tv 10 1982-84
WSYM Tv Fox 47 1985-the 1990's I think this went to WLAJ TV ABC 53 and would later go to WLNS TV 6 it's present home.

I'll do Sacramento-Stockton and the Bay Area later.

I always stuck to watchinggame shows between the evening news and prime time, the way ,Say I stuck to Johnny Carson in all his years on NBC.

Seattle, WA

Wheel of Fortune (syndi.)
KOMO 4 since the beginning, and still on there.

Jeopardy
KIRO 7 (1984-86)
KOMO 4 (1986-present)

Family Feud (Anderson, Karn, O'Hurley, what I could remember from TV Guides and on the web. Memories are quite fuzzy even for only 11 years of the syndi.)
KIRO 7 (1999, late nights)
KONG 16 (2001-2002?)
KOMO 4 (late nights 2003?, from TV Guide, around 1:30 or so)
KTWB 22 (2003-2007)
KIRO 7 again (2008-2009)
KSTW 11 (present)

Donahue
KIRO 7 (late 70s)
KING 5 (1985-late 80s)
I don't know about early 90s.

I do know Trump Card was on KIRO 7 during it's short run in 90-91, late nights.

-crainbebo

As I can think on top of my head .ET was bounced around here in Connecticut.As I remember It started on WVIT then WFSB which is still on WFSB now.also as I remember The show had a short stint on WTNH before it landed back on WFSB,The sidekick show ET/Insider Is on WTNH also on its sister station.Please feel free to correct me.

Okay by me if what I like jumps from station to station; I'll just jump right along, no prob.

Can we include wrestling (WWF, WCW, etc.) on there, since they were syndicated as well?

I remember that in New Orleans sometime in 1990, WWF Superstars and Wrestling Challenge were moved from WGNO to WDSU.

johnnya2k6 said:
Can we include wrestling (WWF, WCW, etc.) on there, since they were syndicated as well?
...I've already listed the changes that the AWA All-Star Wrestling program went through in Milwaukee early on in this thread; what I recall of its changes in Green Bay were:

KFIZ-TV/34* > WLUK/11 > WLRE/26

*Early on in KFIZ's coverage, the show was picked up from WVTV/18 Milwaukee OTA; KFIZ eventually got its own tapes direct from Minneapolis by '72 at the latest. I know the switch from WLUK to WLRE was prompted by WLUK's flipping networks from ABC back to NBC in 1983 and Saturday Night Live dislodged All-Star Wrestling from its longtime Saturday 10:30 P.M. time slot. I don't recall if the show went from WLRE/WGBA to WXGZ/32 before the AWA folded in 1990; by that period, I was living outside the market and watching the AWA out of either Chicago (WCIU/26) or Minneapolis (KMSP/9) before they placed their show on ESPN...

The syndicated version of the Peter Marshall Hollywood Squares had three different homes in NYC: WNBC-TV 4 (1971-76), WABC-TV 7 (1976-80?), and by the time of its final syndie season in Las Vegas had moved to WPIX 11.

johnnya2k6 said:
bpatrick said:
Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point: Oprah went
from WGHP to WFMY to WXII. Wheel Of Fortune
and Jeopardy! started on WXII, moved to WGHP in
'86, split in '92 (Wheel on WFMY, Jeopardy! on WXII),
and both have been on WFMY since '94.
Speaking of WXII, I think "Entertainment Tonight" has been on that station since the beginning, right? Or did it start on WFMY or WGHP before moving to WXII?

WFMY has never carried "ET". It started on WGHP in 1981, moved to WXII in '86 when the two stations swapped "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!", moved back to WGHP in 1992, paired with "Current Affair," IIRC, then went back to WXII again after WGHP went to Fox in '95 and has stayed there ever since; Ch. 12 runs "Inside Edition" at 7, "ET" at 7:30. WGHP runs a block of "Access Hollywood" at 6:30, "Extra!" at 7, and "TMZ" at 7:30; for some time after the switch, FOX8 ran "Frasier" at 7 and "Seinfeld" at 7:30.

WFMY, however, did run "PM Magazine"; in fact it was one of the first non-Group W stations to pick it up in 1978.

Here are some more QC changes to the best of my memory:

ACCESS HOLLYWOOD
KWQC TV 6 (??? - Aug. 31, 2003)
WBQD-LP (September 2003 - Sep. 05, 2010)
KGCW-26 (Sep. 06, 2010 - present day)

FRASIER
WHBF TV 4 (Sep. 15, 1997 - March 2006)
KLJB-18 and/or KGCW-26 (March 2006 - March 2011)
WBQD-LP (March 2011 - present day)

OPRAH WINFREY; 60 min.
WQAD TV 8 (Sept. 08, 1986? - ???)
KWQC TV 6 (??? - Series Finale)

I don't know if anyone's brought up the St. Louis area so I'll give it a shot.

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy have aired on KSDK since 1983 and 1984, respectively. Now when Jeopardy began airing at 4:30pm in the fall of 1984, it bumped Entertainment Tonight to late nights following Johnny Carson. ET first aired on Channel 5 in the fall of 1981 when ET premiered. In the fall of 1985, ET moved to KTVI. About a couple of years after KTVI switched from ABC to Fox, ET moved to KMOV, where it remains to this day.

The People's Court was also a staple of Channel 5's weekday lineup in the 1980s, but it first aired on then-indie KPLR during the 1981-82 season. In the fall of '82 it moved to KSDK for the remainder of its run.

Ironically, KSDK was the first home of the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati when it first entered syndication that same fall. Most people remember it airing on KPLR for a long time during the 1980s and 1990s. For the record, Channel 11 acquired the syndication rights for WKRP in the summer of 1983.

In another irony, KPLR was the first home of the 1986 syndicated revival of Hollywood Squares, only it aired at 10:30pm weeknights. The following fall, in 1987, it moved to a daytime spot on KTVI for the remainder of its run.

Finally, there's M*A*S*H, a sitcom which had aired on KTVI since it first entered syndication in 1979. It has been a part of KTVI's lineup for a couple of decaydes, except for a period when it aired on then-Fox affiliate KDNL in the early 1990s (probably 1989-1991).

That's all I can come up with right now. Does anyone know what other shows swiched in the St. Louis area?

The only other program that moved stations during my two years in Gulfport/Biloxi, Miss. in 1989-91:

Arsenio Hall
WXXV > WLOX

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom