• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reception question

radiojay1

Frequent Participant
I know most of the Toronto AMs and FMs can be heard well in Buffalo and much of Northwest New York close to Lake Ontario, but can the Buffalo AMs and FMs be heard well in Toronto? How about the Rochester AMs and FMs? Northwest New York has a lot of choices on the radio with the Buffalo and Toronto stations.

radiojay1 said:
I know most of the Toronto AMs and FMs can be heard well in Buffalo and much of Northwest New York close to Lake Ontario, but can the Buffalo AMs and FMs be heard well in Toronto? How about the Rochester AMs and FMs? Northwest New York has a lot of choices on the radio with the Buffalo and Toronto stations.

The Rochester stations don't make it into Toronto very well at all. Take a look at a map and you'll see that Toronto is a good long haul west of Rochester - it's a good 90-mile straight-line run across the lake from Rochester to Toronto, which is pushing it for line-of-sight FM reception. Add to that all the co-channel and adjacent-channel signals that have popped up on both sides of the lake (88.5, 92.5, 94.1, 94.9/95.1, 96.3/96.5, 97.9/98.1, 98.9/99.1, 100.5/100.7, 101.3, 102.1, 103.9, 106.5/106.7) and there's not much that breaks through from Rochester.

Even the Buffalo/Toronto dial is becoming so crowded on each side of the border that it's becoming harder to hear cross-border signals. Canada has put a lot of new FMs on the air that block out clean reception of Buffalo-market FM signals. Most of the big AMs (550, 930, 970, 1520) still get into Toronto, but the level of electrical noise seems to be higher every time I'm up there, making Buffalo signals harder to hear than they used to be.

About the only Rochester station receivable in Toronto is WHAM. Then again, with all the AM stations moving to FM across Canada, I would imagine that there'd be more opportunity for border U.S., stations to make there signals known, where they might not have been in the past.

I can pick up 98.5 WKSE niagara falls, all the way from west of Belleville Ontario all away to Hamilton. Except in toronto u get interference. But Some good signals come out of NY up into Ontario here.

During lake inversion you can pull in FM stations all across Lake Ontario. Im near Watertown and when inversion conditions are right Toronto FMs will comes in.

AMs will travel further. I can get many of the 50kw Tornoto stations during the day with decent signal. I'd imagine Toronto can get WHAM and WWKB in pretty well since they are both 50kw, and the Buffalo 5kw stations probably make it up there but I doubt they would work downtown since theres too much noise in cities for weak am stations. I get WHAM also during the day, and I used to get WWKB but they seem weaker now, they have been rumored to be dropping power to 10kw.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom