• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPWA/WDRF/WEEZ/WQIQ/WCZN/WAWA/WPWA

Who worked at 1590 Chester and under what calls? If I remember correctly, I worked there about 6 times between their Edgemont Avenue/Brookhaven location (TR 4-4321 and SA 7-1212) and their move to Aston. LOTS of stories about that place I'm sure!

WAWA? I don't live in your area, but I recognize Wawa as the name of a chain of convenience stores in the Philadelphia area. Any connection between the stores and the radio station?

Wasn't 1590 going to become WAWA before the convenience store chain sued, forcing 1590 to go to "plan B"? I remember reading something about that on R-I.

ixnay

When I was going to The Geator's Broadcasting class, one of our teachers invited us to come to the Edgemont WEEZ studios. That was in 1969, maybe his name was Tucker.

I worked for Ernie Tannen at WEEZ in the early '70s from the Brookhaven site and for John Haggard at WQIQ in Aston in the octagon building in mid-70s.

Even got a tour of the basement on Edgemont Avenue which could have been a museum with the memorabilia of Bill Haley & The Comets and much more found there. Hired over lunch in a little dive in the shopping plaza across the street, next to the bowling alley.

Did "People Power" talk with "chicken rock" for Ernie, then Full Service MOR for what was called "1600 IQ" (with colorful stationary, I remember,) even though we were on 1590. Talk about "rounding up" the frequency ...

DanStrassberg said:
WAWA? I don't live in your area, but I recognize Wawa as the name of a chain of convenience stores in the Philadelphia area. Any connection between the stores and the radio station?

Not if the stores can help it. When the original WAWA in West Allis, Wisconsin gave up those letters, 1590 in Chester changed to that call sign and even planned to change their COL to Wawa (the unincorporated area in Delaware County where the dairy that begat the stores was originally located). Wawa Inc. sought an injunction, saying that the station was trying to trade on the stores' reputation, and the station changed to WPWA rather than fight it out in court.

When they played Oldies during the 80s they had a DJ who was know as Ed Aiken, joke was then why doesnt he take an aspirin.

WQIQ - Race to the bank to cash your paycheck!

I was at WQIQ twice. In 1978 I worked there as a weekend jock while Dave Dillon was the PD and the station was known as 16Q. In 1979-1980, I was the Program Director for AM1590, WQIQ. I did Afternoons, then Morning Drive. The station actually started to make money when I had the dubious distinction of turning the station off at 6pm on August 15, 1980 under the direction of John Haggard, Sr. Got a dime for the payphone in the lobby? That's the only way you could make a call from the station in 1978! Stories? I got 'em!

Lol -- there was a poster to one of the boards who was confused upon passing a red WAWA sign one night in the rain and couldn't find them on the dial. Some here might remember getting a few chuckles.

Up near JFK Airport in Eastern Queens, circa the late 60's, then-WEEZ was a real tough one for us DXers to pull out for an ID. For one, WWRL 1600* sent a splashy laser of a signal almost right at us. Two, between us and Chester there was ANOTHER 1590 station -- WERA Plainfield NJ. WHen we'd try to null WWRL asbestos we could, WBRY Waterbury CT and WERA were there -- along with the occasional Long Island Sound waterpath signal from WYNG in Rhode Island near sunrise.

As a result, I heard WEEZ only once during all that DX career. It was sunset, 1964, iIrc. They played 'Lonely World' by Dion. Great tune at the time; I didn't even care what the station was. Of course, by happenstance, it was WEEZ. They must've been on their omni daytime pattern still (was it 1000 watts at the time?)

Sorry ... I forgot about the '*' next to the WWRL mention.

I forget the year -- probably the late 60's -- when a DXer from down Philly way reported hearing WWRL's slop on 1605 or 1610 -- but not WWRL's main signal on 1600. Anyone know if there was any truth to that?

One more question: Did WEEZ ever show in a Wilmington or Philadelphia ratings 'book'?

The memory is hazy at best but I think most of the original staff at WWDB when it went from Jazz to talk in 1975 came from WEEZ., One person who didn't make the trip was Bud Breeze.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom