1510 Formats and Call Letters - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1510 Formats and Call Letters

Re: 1510 Formats and Call Letters

Quote Originally Posted by bub
    MarcB: What were in those beers you had the other night?
    Bub, you never heard of the ghost of WINTY the cat? Suggest you talk to Charlie Profit about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JEREMIAH
    You guys woke me up.

I was at "the famous 1510" from 1968 thu 1972. Mac Richmond died and things changed. I was with him the night he died (no I didn't kill him) (he died after leaving the station that night). His ghost haunted the station at night..we saw him.

I jocked middays and later took over the talk show after Steve Fredricks went to WEEI. We had pretty good numbers and MEX always made money.

Lots of great Mac stories....i.e. : he came back from florida after a vacation..
    while there he discovered the Super X drug stores.....when he returned we bacame Super X for awhile.
    Hi Jerry, This woke me up too.

I was jocking at WMEX 6PM to 10 PM Monay through Saturday (just ahead of Randy Boone) when Mac died. It was Mac's companion that named me Al Carter (John H added the "uncle" part soon after). The station had a great momentum until Mac passed away. I too have some great stories from that era. Particularly from my perspective as a tech/engineer at WRKO full time (and weekend on-air at WFEA) when I was hired by John H at WMEX to replace Bud Ballou who was leaving for FM.

WRKO couldn't keep pace with the quick changing tactics of WMEX. I remember the chaos that went on when each station tried to be get to news and back to music before the other. WRKO had to jump through several hoops to make changes to their format clock. WMEX just did it. Then one day WMEX just stopped doing the news for a few days and 'RKO was really surprised ;D. It was a fun time in radio back then. A healthy competitive environment that was good for the listeners. Unlike the less competitive situation with multi-station ownerships of today.

I fondly recall when I discovered Arnie Woo Woo as a youngster and dreaming about "doing that" at WMEX....

I also remember listening to WMEX the "Big X" and "Color Radio".

Uncle AL

JEREMIAH

Uncle Al:

Good to hear from you.

In my earlier post I neglected to mention that Mac (despite his reputation)
    gave us a lot of freedom on the air. Sometimes he would call the newsman to go into the studio with a suggestion of a topic for us to talk about. One day the newsman came in and said Mac told him to "tell him(me) to talk abut football."'.
    I turned to the newsman and said "tell HIM I don't know anything about football"
    Mac's response was "oh".

If Mac liked a particular bit you did, he wouldn't tell you directly he'd tell someone else..""heh heh..did you hear what Jerry Gordon said"

If I had time I'd write a book.

Jerry Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by UncleAL

WRKO couldn't keep pace with the quick changing tactics of WMEX. I remember the chaos that went on when each station tried to be get to news and back to music before the other. WRKO had to jump through several hoops to make changes to their format clock. WMEX just did it. Then one day WMEX just stopped doing the news for a few days and 'RKO was really surprised ;D. It was a fun time in radio back then. A healthy competitive environment that was good for the listeners. Unlike the less competitive situation with multi-station ownerships of today.
    Of course, the downside of this is when stations got so into one-upping each other sometimes they lost sight of the fact that the public, not the PD & jocks across town was the audience. One example of that is in the early 70s (I think you were at WMEX then) when WMEX and WRKO kept trying to "out-AOR" each other, the result being that many, myself included found neither station very appealing. Too many obscure album cuts at the expense of the hits.

I agree, it was a fun time to be in radio, and I'm glad I was a part of it but I honestly wonder if the programming from back then would work today, but instead be seen as a giant trainwreck.

JEREMIAH

Old bones is right.

We did play a lot of AOR mixed with the hits(which was weird) from roughly '69 thru '70. Dick Summer was PD and he wanted to be with the times. But even with that our numbers were good. We were progressive politically as well. Very anti war on the air. We even emcced and broadcast live from a huge war protest on the Boston Common in front of 80 thousand college students. Senator George McGovern was the featured speaker.

After a while Mac yearned for the days of his 40 shares, fired Summer and we went back to just hits.

Mac had a unique way of firing people...because we all had contracts he couldn't just fire people so he would put them on from 4-6 AM. They would quit within a month.

It was a strange and very exciting time.

Jerry Gordon KNUU Las Vegas

Cool I was bob hudson's voice guy joy behar was on alot and dr joy browne folled his showr

Quote Originally Posted by la_guy View Post
    i worked at 1510 in 1975-1976. At that time they were owned by dick richmond. Dick used to bring us batteries from home so we wouldn't have to buy them. Most of them were dead, so i made a battery tester for him (i couldn't buy one for 10 dollars, but could spend an entire day building one). He was actually looking at buying wrlm (93.3, now wsne) and moving it closer to boston, there was a place where it would have city graded both taunton and boston. Unfortunately, the tower would have to have been located by the (then active) weymouth naval air station-so that quickly put an end to that!

The site in quincy had become a disaster by then-they put up a multi story apartment building right next door and it wrecked the day pattern. We actually had to de-tune the night only tower to act as a parasitic to bring the day pattern back in. The night pattern was also toast.

1510 has an incredibly low interference free night limit (2.2 mv/m)-practically unheard of today. Unfortunately, the 1510 in sherbrooke, qu used to stay on their day pattern at night all the time (10 kilowatts non-directional) and it really did a number on wmex at night. They had to move to waltham to keep the red sox contract (and they also had to build studios at fenway park, where they were located for several years-even as wmre). The red sox actually screwed them pretty badly by dumping them after they spent millions to build in waltham by giving wplm the contract. The irony was that even after they got dumped by them they still had their studios located at the park-the studio lease was still in force.

If they were smart, they would have kept the day site in quincy and only used waltham at night. Their 50 kw daytime signal from quincy was actually a bit better then the original waltham day one (though they now have a non-critical hours pattern that's practically non directional, thanks to the 1510 in new london, ct going dark). I think that it would have saved them millions in fixing interference complaints.

Oh. One more thing. The late great bob "emperor" hudson came from los angeles where he was a top 40 legend. Google has a ton of stuff on him.

They are now (and probably will always be) a fourth tier station-a sad ending to a once great radio station!
    i was emperors voice guy in 1977 JoyBehar was a unknown comedienne at the timeand she was on alot we did who's on first as amos and andy at varous clubs...i remember one was a biker bar...hillaraious

You forgot the time when WSSH-AM was Spanish language in the early 1990s. There was Tony Molina and Georgie Rosario, not to mention Socrates Regalado and his "Concierto Para La Intimidad." All of New England's Hispanic population enjoyed listening to it.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
    All of New England's Hispanic population enjoyed listening to it.
    That's a stereotype.

Not "all" at all!

First, in that market about half of all Hispanics are English dominant, and were so back in the 90's as well. In the 90's, the bulk of the Hispanic population was second generation of Puerto Rican descent, and were English speaking.

Second, not all Hispanics like the same format and music. While a certain percentage of area Hispanics may have listened, not all did due to language dominance first and then programming preferences.

I looked at the 12+ for every year from 1990 to 1996. In not one of those years was there even a 0.1 share for Spanish language radio in the market. Plus, there is the fact that, far from covering New England, 1510 did and does not even cover much of the Boston MSA well.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I didn't mean to stereotype the group. I happen to speak Spanish myself, and I enjoyed listening to the station. They played a wide variety of music from salsa and bachata to ballads and rock music. There are so many Spanish speaking groups in the Boston area, and they all bring their own heritage to our city's diversity. Looks like I didn't give this much thought. Sorry about that.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
    I didn't mean to stereotype the group. I happen to speak Spanish myself, and I enjoyed listening to the station. They played a wide variety of music from salsa and bachata to ballads and rock music. There are so many Spanish speaking groups in the Boston area, and they all bring their own heritage to our city's diversity. Looks like I didn't give this much thought. Sorry about that.
    I am a bit "touchy" on this subject, so forgive me if I seemed too direct. I appreciate your very kind response.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234