1510 Formats and Call Letters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1510 Formats and Call Letters

1510 Formats and Call Letters

How many can you name and think of?

1-Talk America Radio Network ('94?)

2-WNRB (Christian Music with paid ministry programming) (95'-'97)

3-The Sports Zone syndicated Network. (97' to when?)

4-Brokered programming. (present)

Re: 1510 Formats and Call Letters

Well, the longest-running and most famous moniker for 1510 was WMEX.

They were WMEX for 41 years (from their start in 1934 to 1975 when they changed to WITS).

WMEX was a popular teen-oriented Top 40 station from 1957 to 1975, 18 years in the format.

Quote Originally Posted by HHH
    Well, the longest-running and most famous moniker for 1510 was WMEX.

They were WMEX for 41 years (from their start in 1934 to 1975 when they changed to WITS).

WMEX was a popular teen-oriented Top 40 station from 1957 to 1975, 18 years in the format.
    Even the late talk-master Jerry Williams once said (on the night they shutdown WITS) that the day they changed the call-letters to WITS (in 1978) was the first of MANY mistakes the management of 1510 (and there were many in that job) did over the years. Why change a well known set of call-letters that lasted over 40 years and have been successful with those call-letters all along? When I think of the WITS call-letters, I thought.... "yeah, Witless Radio". The new Waltham transmitter site was more trouble than it was worth. The cost of rent alone would stagger the imagination, tens of thousands of dollars a month. At least they owned the Quincy site. The electric bill was a real drain as well. It's no wonder that 1510 from Waltham has never worked right ever since it was built. Here is a station, once a gem of the market, and now just a has-been. The Richmond brothers should have gotten an FM counterpart early for WMEX, during the time the FCC was literally giving them away. Having no FM counterpart, 1510 could not be competitive by itself. I honestly don't know how it still survives today.

Actually, there is an urban legend that Mac Richmond was preparing to buy an FM companion to WMEX just before he died in the early 70s.
    One source claims that he made overtures to T. Mitchell Hastings to acquire WBCN.

Man, that would have altered history!

Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    How many can you name and think of?

1-Talk America Radio Network ('94?)

2-WNRB (Christian Music with paid ministry programming) (95'-'97)

3-The Sports Zone syndicated Network. (97' to when?)

4-Brokered programming. (present)
    #3. Whatever prog talk calls itself on weekdays(Revolution Boston?), on weekends they're still branding themselves as the Zone, Boston's Sports Station. They run BU hockey and a bunch of sports brokered-time shows. And, SNR during unsold hours.

1997-2001/One-On-One Sports
    2001-2009/Sporting News Radio

Thanks!

Here are all of the call letters that I can think of for the "Famous 1510".....

1. WMEX Top 40
    2. WITS News/Talk
    3. WMRE Nostalgia
    4. WSSH A/C simulcast of 99.5 FM
    5. WKKU Country
    6. WNRB Religion
    7. WWZN

I believe that covers it....

Some history may be found at http://bostonradio.org/stations/12789

They still had the WMRE calls in the mid 80s and went with talk incl. Marcia Masters, Bob
    Katzen, Morgan White Jr., Doug Stephan, etc. Maybe even Paul Benzaquin. I have a tape of
    Morgan White's last Talking Trivia show from 1/87. Morgan's sidekick "The Flicker" used to do
    an early Sunday morning show called The Fun Show with cartoon themes, etc.
    "Stay on Top--1510 WMRE"

I also remember attending a bit of a farewell party for them at The Breakfast Club, corner of
    Boylston and Brookline (you could order breakfast food anytime, have a drink, etc.) Bob Katzen
    used to have a guy on his show who did some kind of "fox" character named Finkel or
    something and the guy brought a puppet of it. Thought I spotted Christopher Lydon there at
    one point. WMRE used to run the audio of the Joan Rivers show because Ch 25 wouldn't run it...

>>"yeah, Witless Radio"

They had a duo, Larry Claflin and Clif Keane, "Cliff and Claf" (I think Larry Claflin Jr works for Salem News now?) and I recall a cartoon, perhaps in the sports section of the Globe, depicting them as
    "The WITleSs Wonders"

Under how many of these formats has Brother Stair been doing the overnights?
    "One should read the shole thread before responding." - vchimpanzee

"Friends don't let friends quote the last post of a message board thread." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by DJbobo
    1997-2001/One-On-One Sports
    2001-2009/Sporting News Radio
    That doesn't count. One-On-One became Sporting News Radio after the two groups got married

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast