• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGMC 1150

thebeach33445

Leading Participant
Hey Guys:

I know this is an oldie but goodie: Would anybody know what year KGMC 1150 went from Country to talk?

Thanks

T.J.

Are you sure that is the right Call Letters? Becasue I did a google search and I couldn't find anything about KGMC 1150 anywhere? There is a TV station in another state by that name.. but no radio station by that name anywhere. So I think you need to check your spelling again.

Allan Berg got his start in radio at KMGC in 1974 and yes in Denver. Sorry you are having a rough time getting a straight adult type answer around here!

I can remember when 1150 was KRZN Oldies 1150 back in the late 80's.

Ever get a chance contact the Art Institute Of Colorado ( then Colorado Institute of Art ) and ask about that letter they received from then 100.3 KMJI morning guy ( KRZN's then sister station ) Paxton Mills back in 1989. It wasnt pretty !!
I wouldnt be surprised that the college still has that letter in their file today. Can we say "mistake"?

For the record the girl who wrote that letter to KRZN/KMJI was Jody Hamilton. I think you may know her mother. Actress Carol Burnett.

T.J The frequency went from country to talk I think around 1980. The calls were KWBZ around that time. Peter Boyles and Beautiful Bob Lee were there doing mornings and when they switched Alan Berg came over from KHOW.

After that failed they went oldies with The Boogeyman and Tom Slick. Beautiful Bob was there. All that was about the time KLDR was blowing up. I did part-time there. It was a fun place to work, but oh the equipment was awful.

Had they done some engineering and upgraded the place a little bit it could have competed. The talent over there deserved better.

Kgmc

I worked at KGMC/KWBZ off and on from 1971 to 1972, and full time from 1973 to 1976. In 1973, Alan Berg began guesting on Laurence Gross' talk show. He took over the show in 1974 when Laurence went to San Diego, so it's somewhat incorrect to say he got his "start" in '74.

KGMC became KWBZ in 1975 when Bob McWilliams sold the station to Corky Cartwright and Marvin Davis. Later, an Oklahoma City TV station took over the call letters. I found that to be interesting when I went to OKC in 1981.

Apologies for reopening this ancient thread. :)

Kgmc

I worked at KGMC/KWBZ off and on from 1971 to 1972, and full time from 1973 to 1976. In 1973, Alan Berg began guesting on Laurence Gross' talk show. He took over the show in 1974 when Laurence went to San Diego, so it's somewhat incorrect to say he got his "start" in '74.

KGMC became KWBZ in 1975 when Bob McWilliams sold the station to Corky Cartwright and Marvin Davis. Later, an Oklahoma City TV station took over the call letters. I found that to be interesting when I went to OKC in 1981.

Apologies for reopening this ancient thread. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom