• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sam The Freight Train Scott passes

To vchimpanzee:

Zam11/K94 was a late 70's early 80's simulcast from Virginia Beach. It played metal, southern rock, and typical AOR stuff. But it was really really unique. Heck, they even mentioned the 50,000 watt AM, before the 100,000 watt FM!
"From the swamp to the beaches its Zam11/K94!! WZAM Virginia Beach, WMYK Moyock"

WRBK was the 100,000 watt sister to WRNB in New Bern. It was on a stick near Grantsboro and pretty much rocked the beach. You would lose it before Goldsboro travelling west. It was known as K101, then K102 on air. Today it is urban WIKS Kiss 102.

ToddJenkins said:
To vchimpanzee:

Zam11/K94 was a late 70's early 80's simulcast from Virginia Beach. It played metal, southern rock, and typical AOR stuff. But it was really really unique. Heck, they even mentioned the 50,000 watt AM, before the 100,000 watt FM!
"From the swamp to the beaches its Zam11/K94!! WZAM Virginia Beach, WMYK Moyock"

WRBK was the 100,000 watt sister to WRNB in New Bern. It was on a stick near Grantsboro and pretty much rocked the beach. You would lose it before Goldsboro travelling west. It was known as K101, then K102 on air. Today it is urban WIKS Kiss 102.
Thanks. Could I trouble you just one more time since Wikipedia seems to be missing a lot of this information. And I try to add to Wiipedia when I find reliable information to add; they also won't take your word for it so at some point I'll have to look for confirmation.

Is this K-94 the station that is now 93.7 Bob FM?

Is Zam11 now WYRM?

And what are WRNB's letters now?

Atticus said:
V-Chimp - you must have gone to school in Winston-Salem and that's why everybody listened to Z93. Back in those days, there wasn't as much crossover listening between Greensboro and WS. Wes Jones and Willie Edwards were the morning personalities on WRQK.
Actually, it was High Point College (now University--I can't believe what's happened to that place), and I just figured those stations were right there in town.

And it was WKZL everyone listened to. Z-93 seemed to be a second choice.

And I wasn't there long. I knew my parents were moving but I didn't have time after I found out where to apply anywhere, and even if I did, I had a non-refundable room deposit. Once the semester was over, I moved closer to home.

Thanks for posting that photo! I remeber being up there to visit Wes Jones. I especially liked the astro-turf "lawn" around the outside of the glass "penthouse" studio. There at the confluence of I-85 and I-40 I have this burning vision of that tower with the strobe lights stuck on full blinding daytime brightness blasting away all night long - must have been like that for years. You could see that tower 50 miles away....
Ahhh memories....

The Freight Train's last stop was KEYN in Wichita, KS. I took this photo of Sam in 1976 at WRQK - http://www.dollaraholler.com/freighttrain

Thank you for posting that image. I was searching the internet for mention of my fathers days at WRQK and was surprised at how little information I found about the station during his time there. This is the only picture I have seen of him behind a console. That control booth looks so much smaller than it did when I was a kid. I take it that one or two people in this thread also worked at WRQK. Many of the on air names stick in head in the larger than life voices of the announcers themselves. Wow, I just recalled that there were t-shirts with illustrations of the announcers... My fathers face on a steam locomotive? So, they removed the swimming pool?!? Thats not right! heh. Well, I appreciate the glimpse of that time through your eyes. Maybe it was because I was just a tike, but radio seemed "better" back then. Anyone working at WRQK at the time certainly helped make it great.

Oh, and I think I had to help with that mirror ball...

Thanks for posting that photo! I remeber being up there to visit Wes Jones. I especially liked the astro-turf "lawn" around the outside of the glass "penthouse" studio. There at the confluence of I-85 and I-40 I have this burning vision of that tower with the strobe lights stuck on full blinding daytime brightness blasting away all night long - must have been like that for years. You could see that tower 50 miles away....
Ahhh memories....
I heard Wes Jones identify himself when he did the weather on WAVO. That's in Charlotte. No listeners and everything is automated, but the music is great.

The former WMYK/ Moyock, NC-K-94 is indeed now WNOB 93.7 Bob FM, now licensed to Chesapeake, VA. It's also been known as WKOC, WKCK, and WPYA over the years. Former AM sister station WZAM 1110 was WYRM, but apparently changed this year to WKQA.

WRNB, I think, was 1380 AM, and last known as WSFL before it was deleted.

-----------------------------

Is Zam11 now WYRM?

And what are WRNB's letters now?[/QUOTE]

The former WMYK/ Moyock, NC-K-94 is indeed now WNOB 93.7 Bob FM, now licensed to Chesapeake, VA. It's also been known as WKOC, WKCK, and WPYA over the years. Former AM sister station WZAM 1110 was WYRM, but apparently changed this year to WKQA.

WRNB, I think, was 1380 AM, and last known as WSFL before it was deleted.

-----------------------------

Is Zam11 now WYRM?

And what are WRNB's letters now?
[/QUOTE]

I thought SFL had a different AM, like maybe over in Bayboro or Bridgeton.

I was at RNB for a few days in the late '70s when Josh Humphries was PD for them and RBK.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom