• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When will Carrie go completely pop/rock?

How many of you think that Carrie Underwood will go completely pop/rock, and dump country entirely? If what I'm reading about the new album is true, it's about 90% pop. I think she's "using" the Opry and the country music establishment, but the Opry can't really afford to dump her, since she is a huge drawing card to the younger audiences. I really think that Carrie has become "too big" for country music, and that they should bring back Shania to really compete with Carrie(and quite likely beat her!). What do you think?

This is ironic considering she finally has done something that sounds country--her duet with Randy Travis.

It's amazing the way we criticize Shania and yet her early stuff really did sound country. Most of "Any Man of Mine" sounds so good. That clapping part doesn't appeal to me.

Not so much. Shaniah started off very country. It was when she was releasing "international versions" of her albums when she was getting criticism for going pop. I do recall her last full album "Up" had a country version of the album and a pop version. That CD didn't go anywhere though. Let's not forget Faith Hill and LeAnn Rimes, who both put out pop records after an early career of sounding country.

IMO it's nice to see country crossing over into CHR territory. These artists do have to beef up their sounds to keep up with the dance and rhythmic aspect of CHR. Look at this way: in the 70s you had rock and disco sounding country songs that crossed over, and the crossovers of the 80s were filled with sinthizers and drum machines. Though I am not a big fan of the new crossovers, country music is at least a recognized genera of music in the pop world. When was the last time a country artist won an MTV video music award?

In my mind, I don't see Carrie Underwood ditching country music. That would be a slap in the face to her fans. Besides, most country music today has a pop/rock sound.

I don't think she will go pop anytime soon. The pop audience is more fickle and fad driven. It could cut her career short. She will stay country and have some songs crossover.

I would just be happy to hear Carrie do a song where she doesn't SCREAM through half (or more) of it. It would be nice just to hear a low key ballad that shows off what a nice voice she really has. We just never get to hear it.

I think that you may already have your wish in "Mama's Song" which is now out on iTunes, and "Temporary Home"which comes out on iTunes at midnight tonight. These are both off of the new Play On album which comes out 2 weeks from tomorrow. There may be hope yet!

"Before He Cheats" is a lot more country than I thought it was. I was just going back and forth and landed on a station that was playing it. I guess it sounds better on the radio.

I plan to tape the cMA awards. Not counting fast-forwarding, it should take about 30 minutes to watch.

Jay F said:
waymar said:
CArrie is pop now!

But meanwhile "Cowboy Casanova" is huge on the country chart and not CHR or AC.
I saw the movie "Casanova". Over my head, but it had some laughs and was a quality production.

Kellie Pickler sometimes is compared to Carrie Underwood, since they both appeared on "American Idol" and are best known for country music, even though Kellie got voted off earlier in the season she appeared.

A local newspaper article said she intended to do traditional country on her new album and in her concerts, and she didn't care what her young fans thought of that. She said it was their parents' fault for not teaching their kids about good music.

THe songs that hit numbr one on the country charts nowadys with a few exceptions namely George STrat, Alan Jacksona and TOby Keith are all pop. The video for Cowboy Cassanove looks like a Britney Sprears on crack video.

Carrie sounded country on the CMA awards. Anyone now how many dresses she wore?

By the way, did she perform any entire songs? I fast-forwarded through most everyone.

Nobody cares about classifications. If Conway Twitty could cut songs by The Eagles and The Pointer Sisters, then there are no boundaries.

TheBigA said:
Nobody cares about classifications. If Conway Twitty could cut songs by The Eagles and The Pointer Sisters, then there are no boundaries.
It's all right when Conway does it.

I heard "Cowboy Casanova" last night. Someone played a fiddle all through a heavy metal song and they sneaked in a steel guitar for good measure, so that is their idea of making it country, I guess.

The only country music I heard last night was played as Reba McEntire walked on stage.

Someone explain to me: How is Keith Urban country and Daughtry isn't? It's the same music, based on last night, except Keith Urban is louder.

Yes, I am aware Daughtry is normally louder.

Those of us who like country music want boundaries to keep this junk off our radio. So far, the only real solution is to ban everything from after 1990, because any time you try to add new songs, you go too far. I think Real Country did pretty well the few times I heard it last summer.

vchimpanzee said:
Those of us who like country music want boundaries to keep this junk off our radio.

They call it an on/off button. You don't like it? Turn it off. But you have no right to force your style of country music on anyone.

TheBigA said:
vchimpanzee said:
Those of us who like country music want boundaries to keep this junk off our radio.

They call it an on/off button. You don't like it? Turn it off. But you have no right to force your style of country music on anyone.
Actually, you have no right to force your music on anyone. And yet, in order to listen to country music, with most radio stations you're expected to put up with this garbage.

I am still having trouble finding a traditional country song that Carrie Underwood ever sang. Has for the country charts they are a big big joke when it comes to what people want to hear in real country music. Carrie has had four songs that have a country flavor, let me tell you I am so tired of that pop/rock crap that is being pushed down our throats and called country that I could scream. Country music needs to take it's title back and have somewhere and or someone start promoting real country music again before it is so watered down that it is lost forever. It can't happen you say? fine. Show me a brand new Rock & Roll song a real one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom