• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TM Century "Stereo Rock" in Seattle?

No....Drake syndication was on KNBQ/Tacoma before it went live 24/7 in 1979. TM's Mellow Rock format was on KUUU (1590) as the last format under those calls (this would have been around 1977). The station merged with KZOK (already co-owned) and became KZOK-AM, then another stab at a gold format (KU-16 was automated gold before the mellow rock); and then K-JET, a first cut in the market at alternative.

LITTLEBOYBLUE said:
No....Drake syndication was on KNBQ/Tacoma before it went live 24/7 in 1979. TM's Mellow Rock format was on KUUU (1590) as the last format under those calls (this would have been around 1977). The station merged with KZOK (already co-owned) and became KZOK-AM, then another stab at a gold format (KU-16 was automated gold before the mellow rock); and then K-JET, a first cut in the market at alternative.

The first cut at alternative would actually be KZAM-AM 1540 from 1979-1981 "Broadcasting In Modern Mono", "The Rock Of The '80s" KZAM-AM played a pretty edgy mix of early new wave and punk. KZAM was scuttled in March 1981 for KJZZ, a first attempt at Smooth Jazz (but with a healthy dose of traditional classics and blues.) Alternative resurfaced with the debut of KJET in 1982. KJET would keep it's alternative format until 1988 (just missing the Seattle music explosion by just two years.)

dialspinner said:
I'm pretty sure KNWR in Bellingham (now KAFE) ran TM's Stereo Rock in the mid 1980's.

Yes, they did -- they flipped from country to Top 40 using TM Stereo Rock in late 1979, and kept it until they flipped to "The soft rock KAFE" in the mid-eighties.

Regarding the automated Top 40 music on KNBQ in Tacoma prior to going live in 1979 -- I'm pretty sure that they switched suppliers more than once during the approx. three year period that they were automated Top 40. Maybe someone can confirm this, but I think that they may have started out with the Drake-Chenault format, then shifted over to something that *may* have been TM Stereo Rock for a year or so before shifting -- again -- to a locally produced automated format. Regardless, they did their own voice tracking for all of the format variations except the first one -- which is one reason why it is difficult to know for sure what they were carrying.

TexasTom said:
Regarding the automated Top 40 music on KNBQ in Tacoma prior to going live in 1979 -- I'm pretty sure that they switched suppliers more than once during the approx. three year period that they were automated Top 40. Maybe someone can confirm this, but I think that they may have started out with the Drake-Chenault format, then shifted over to something that *may* have been TM Stereo Rock for a year or so before shifting -- again -- to a locally produced automated format. Regardless, they did their own voice tracking for all of the format variations except the first one -- which is one reason why it is difficult to know for sure what they were carrying.

I think it was Drake all the way through, with the exception of currents. Those moved from Drake to home-grown (simply a matter of compiling one reel). That was the problem with KNBQ system ... it was an older IGM system and only used reel decks for music; so the pitfall to that was the songs in any automated format on reels would always appear in same sequence. It was only the changing of reel tapes on a deck that changed the overall format not to be repetitive (Recurrent Reel deck may have tape #1 on Monday, tape #2 on Wed, tape #1 on Monday kind of thing...the Gold decks may have tape #1, tape #2 on Monday, tape #3, tape #4 on Tuesday, Tape #5, tape #6 on Wednesday) but in KNBQ's case the currents were always playing back in the same sequence. Backannouncing currents was one of the few automated talk cut-ins on that piece of s%%t format (can you tell I am not done with my therapy yet???)

KNBQ did run some automated back announces on their music when they first shifted to Top 40, but those back announces weren't limited to currents -- I remember hearing back announces for songs like "Lonely Days" by the Bee Gees...in 1977.

By early 1978, I think that the back announcing was gone, and shortly after that they added a DJ presence of sorts, consisting of four pre-recorded six hour shifts. It wasn't synchronized to their music, so the DJ chatter typically did not include any song announces. It was also limited to the beginnings and ends of the song sweeps, and didn't support the ability to talk over the music.

And I'm guessing that the the point at which they went to locally recorded currents is also the point at which they dumped all the disco from their playlist. That was on tell tale -- but the real give away was hearing record crackle on some cuts.

KNBQ (or 'The Super-Q 97-FM' as they were)
ran the 'TM Phase II' package during the early-mid 80's

Gary Bryan (PD), Ichabod, Ron Erak, Dancin' Danny, Crazy Steve, Beau Roberts - great lineup

Somewhere I have an aircheck of KOL-FM in the early to mid 70's, where they were running TM Stereo Rock. The jingle package they were using was the TM "Pacific and Southern" package. Although that package was not written specifically for TM Stereo Rock, many TMSR stations used it, including WFBQ ("Q-95") Indianapolis ('74-'77) and WQRK ("Q 104 and a half") Norfolk, VA ('75-'77).

Re: KOL-FM
It was early 70s. I didn't recall that was the name of the package or not, could well have been. We installed the automation system in an area that was the newsroom. We let go the entire FM staff (the end of the KOL-FM Progressive Rock format), and virtually all the AM staff.

The format ran 24/7 on KOL-FM and the AM simulcasted it at night. AM had 3 live jocks daytime. Jim Bach did afternoon on the AM as I recall. Maybe Jack Bolton morning or midday?

The system was a Shafer 902 or 903, with 4 reel-reels, 4 carousels, and a few cart decks for news and weather.

That....thing....is....a....MONSTER!!...

No. The picture looks like "InstaCarts", which were 48 tray cart players. The KOL configuration was Scully reel-reel players on top, and Carousels on bottom, which were 24 tray units which rotated to find the right cart #

I think there were 5 racks, with the four racks on the right consisting of the Scully units and Carousels, and the left rack containing the Schafer brain and some cart units. There may have been only 3 of the reel/Carousel racks.

The really cool thing about the KOL automation was the spots were programmed by a paper tape. The traffic lady came in every day and punched the paper tape on the teletype-like printer, and at midnight the automation babysitter would insert the new paper tape for the next day.

Between the paper tape (as I recall KUUU used that like KOL-FM), the flip-switches of the DEC PDP-8 (KYYX automation used that), and the other systems like KSEA's home-grown ... it's amazing those things were as stable as they WERE. I don't remember how KNBQ's systems were loaded.

In the late 80's/early 90's I tried to propose inter-system standards that would drive anything from live-assist to total automation ... so that as "exceptions" came up, they could be addressed through this interchange no matter which traffic, music, news feed, etc. system you were using. Of course, each vendor wanted THEIR own method to be "the standard". Years later, that concept became a necessity as closet-based automation systems took off with satellite-fed radio and had to be compatible with every vendor. Others, like RCS Master Control, etc. were also trying to get the industry to the same end vision.

As much as the "emotional" side of me is not a fan of the voice track systems (no-brainer for some dayparts & formats), I am very impressed with how good they have become. The biggest "way to go" yardstick I kept using was whether you could adjust segues on a case-by-case basis instead of just relying on "trip" events (tone, etc.) to fire the next "event". Prophet/NextGen, for one, does a GREAT job of allowing you to finetune those kinds of things.

Reviving this long-dead thread with a question -- exactly when did the TM Stereo Rock format and it's successors completely die out? I know that before it disappeared, TM Productions and Drake-Chenault were combined, then sold at least once more...but through it all, something very much like the old "Stereo Rock" continued to be broadcast on at least a couple of stations.

I continued to hear it on KNWR (104.3) Bellingham when I'd come up to Tacoma to visit family until 1989. Meanwhile, down here in Texas, I heard it for another year on KDSQ (101.7) in Denison/Sherman, about 60 miles north of Texas for another year. KDSQ dumped "Stereo Rock" (or whatever it was called by then) in 1990, moving towards Satellite Music Network's truly awful syndicated CHR format, "The Heat". As I understand it, the reason they switched is because their tape-based automation system was wearing out, and "Stereo Rock" was never offered on anything other than tape (ie, it didn't switch over to CD delivery). But the interesting thing is that even though the format really felt like something out of time by 1990, KDSQ did better with the automated "Stereo Rock" than they did with "The Heat".

But what I'm wondering is:
1. Did anyone hear this format anywhere *after* 1990?
2. Does anyone know when it was ultimately discontinued completely?

Thanks.

Re: KOL-FM
It was early 70s. I didn't recall that was the name of the package or not, could well have been. We installed the automation system in an area that was the newsroom. We let go the entire FM staff (the end of the KOL-FM Progressive Rock format), and virtually all the AM staff.

The format ran 24/7 on KOL-FM and the AM simulcasted it at night. AM had 3 live jocks daytime. Jim Bach did afternoon on the AM as I recall. Maybe Jack Bolton morning or midday?

The system was a Shafer 902 or 903, with 4 reel-reels, 4 carousels, and a few cart decks for news and weather.

Yes, KOL AM/FM ran an automated service in the early 70's. I remember the live jocks up to the end on KOL-AM, but also remember the transition to nightime automation. I have tapes of the KOL jingles during this period, but hard to find in my "boxes of memories".

Speaking of which, I just discovered a lost cassette of KJR 1966 with Tom Murphy and Larry Lujack. Lots of Lujack on here. This is not the standard aircheck that is circulating, it is an actual homemade 'check of these two beyond the usual...complete with a background hum. Atleast 45 minutes of material. It is fascinating, and likely not duplicated anywhere. Contact me if you would like to have this for a nominal fee.

Speaking of which, I just discovered a lost cassette of KJR 1966 with Tom Murphy and Larry Lujack. Lots of Lujack on here. This is not the standard aircheck that is circulating, it is an actual homemade 'check of these two beyond the usual...complete with a background hum. Atleast 45 minutes of material. It is fascinating, and likely not duplicated anywhere. Contact me if you would like to have this for a nominal fee.

Sure...as long as your "nominal fee" includes a royalty to the Lujack and Murphy estates for using their material.

I just discovered a lost cassette of KJR 1966 with Tom Murphy and Larry Lujack. Lots of Lujack on here. This is not the standard aircheck that is circulating, it is an actual homemade 'check of these two beyond the usual...complete with a background hum. Atleast 45 minutes of material. It is fascinating, and likely not duplicated anywhere. Contact me if you would like to have this for a nominal fee.

I'd like a copy and will happily pay the "nominal fee" ! Want to send it to Murphy.

The TM Century rock library thing never seems to die. Back in the late 80's, I was helping out at KBSG where the majority of the library was from TM Century. It was there I discovered a stereo phase problem with the all CD's that TM Century provided. Much of the station library had to be re-carted from original recordings over time. TM Century apparently had created their library with some sort of phase processing to make the stereo imaging wider than the original recording. Problem was, mono audio was swishy and weird sounding. Car radios that go into blend (mono) mode with noise or multipath, would cause the music to sound really odd.

Fast forward to around 2000, when KJR-FM debuted using (you guessed it) the TM Century library. The PD at the time was convinced something was wrong with the station audio processing, because the station was quiet on his mono home clock radio. Once I discovered they were getting the audio files from TM Century, I knew what the problem was. The solution was to gradually re-record the library from original recordings and in the meantime, I inserted a little-known device called a Howe Phase Chaser in the station program chain. The Phase Chaser did the trick altering the phase back to somewhat normal, until the rest of the library could be replaced.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom