• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shane Brother Shane on WBEN

Didn't miss it, but didn't comment on it. As to the question "What was Danny doing over at WBEN?", there was a mic on in Buffalo, which naturally drew Danny's attention.

SirRoxalot said:
Didn't miss it, but didn't comment on it. As to the question "What was Danny doing over at WBEN?", there was a mic on in Buffalo, which naturally drew Danny's attention.

HaHaHa...ouch! I enjoyed the yuk fest but would have enjoyed more of a serious (or semi-serious) interview of Shane. I always found Shane very interesting, not your usual radio personality. Shane did a great job relating to Buffalo and the people. He expressed pride and boosted Buffalo like no one I ever heard on the air. Gotta give him credit for that.

I didn't get to hear him on a regular basis but always listened to his show when I happened to be in town.

Mike Sheridan said:
Shane did a great job relating to Buffalo and the people. He expressed pride and boosted Buffalo like no one I ever heard on the air. Gotta give him credit for that.

You're probably right on that, Mike, but personally, I never really got into Shane. I tried, but despite his talent, it seemed to me that there was a self-aggrandizing vibe about him on-air that I couldn't quite get past. I never had that feeling about the others we revere...Danny, Joey, Tommy, Jackson, Stan, Frank Benny, Clint.

Nick Seneca

"HaHaHa...ouch!  I enjoyed the yuk fest but would have enjoyed more of a serious (or semi-serious) interview of Shane.  I always found Shane very interesting, not your usual radio personality... "

Mike, I hear what your saying. But to expect "serious" out of a get together featuring Beach and Danny just isn't in the cards.  Add Shane to the mix and...well

Nick, I hear ya but I think the self aggrandizing thing was just a bit, I never took it seriously. Joey does it too but in a different way. One thing about Joey, Shane, Sandy and Danny is they love being on the air. They are also quick with the snappy comeback. To me these guys are stars and I'd be glad to fetch their coffee anytime.

yugoidar as much as I really enjoy and respect Danny (I always listened to him) I really wanted to hear about SHANE.

Now I'd like to hear an hour about Danny. I know a little bit about him collects trains, I think he lives (or lived) near Hamburg and of course his wife Marie and Dan Jr who married PJ Foxx. That's about it though so if anybody has an hour on Danny it would be interesting.

Same thing for Stan Roberts and Tom Shannon. I'd like to hear them and find out what they think about their careers and what they are doing now. All I know about Stan is I think he was doing radio sales after going off the air. There isn't a lot of talk about Stan Roberts, I always enjoyed his work going back to his morning show on KB and later WGR. I know Tommy was very close to the music and worked at KB, WGR and CKLW. Guys I know who have talked to him were really impressed with how open and easy to talk to Tom is. That's always good to hear.

In my experience, Shane certainly took "the self-aggrandizing thing" seriously. On the "nice guy" scale, Shane and Tommy Shannon would be polar opposites.

Mike S., you might want to contact Al Wallack. A few years ago, WNED-AM featured an hour long interview with Dan Neaverth hosted by WNED News Director, Jim Ranney. It may even be in the Hall of Fame archives. If it isn't, it probably should be. I concur with those who're lobbying for Harv Moore being inducted to the HOF, along with his WPHD partner, Robert W. Taylor. I've cast my vote for them. Perhaps next year.

It's true. Danny did come in to talk about his career, and filled the hour from beginning to end with real radio lore.

Stupidly, I turned off the recording device and missed the hour after the program that he filled with even funnier and more off color lore.

I've known Danny since I was about 19 or 20 ('lotta, 'lotta years) and he never fails to come up with unbelievably funny stuff about his storied career.

SirRoxalot said:
In my experience, Shane certainly took "the self-aggrandizing thing" seriously. On the "nice guy" scale, Shane and Tommy Shannon would be polar opposites.

Some guys come off like that and once you tell them to cut the crap they laugh and become your best friend.

As much as I like Joey Reynolds I was always afraid of meeting him for fear he would turn out to be a jerk. That would spoil the image.

I can't take someone on the radio having a big ego seriously. I have done it and it's not brain surgery.

Mike Sheridan said:
SirRoxalot said:

Some guys come off like that and once you tell them to cut the crap they laugh and become your best friend.

As much as I like Joey Reynolds I was always afraid of meeting him for fear he would turn out to be a jerk. That would spoil the image.

I can't take someone on the radio having a big ego seriously. I have done it and it's not brain surgery.

I've often wondered if brain surgeons ever say, "C'mon, we can do this, it's not radio..." Where's that damn face smiley emoticon?!

Mike Sheridan said:

Which is what makes that attitude problem all the more incongruous. Or is that "in Congress"???

JimPastrick said:
Where's that damn face smiley emoticon?!

Try asking in "Ask Radio-Info" and you'll get an answer. :)

"As much as I like Joey Reynolds I was always afraid of meeting him for fear he would turn out to be a jerk. That would spoil the image."

I did meet him in, IIRC, 1979, when he dropped by WBEN. He was anything but a jerk--he was, in fact, the same personable, friendly guy you hear on his current national overnight show. Others who know him far better than I do say the same thing--the mature Joey Reynolds is the same guy both on and off air, and they like him.

JimPastrick said:
I've often wondered if brain surgeons ever say, "C'mon, we can do this, it's not radio..." Where's that damn face smiley emoticon?!

And there should be a good punch line to this one: what does a brain surgeon say to a rocket scientist?

Bob1370 said:
"As much as I like Joey Reynolds I was always afraid of meeting him for fear he would turn out to be a jerk. That would spoil the image."

I did meet him in, IIRC, 1979, when he dropped by WBEN. He was anything but a jerk--he was, in fact, the same personable, friendly guy you hear on his current national overnight show. Others who know him far better than I do say the same thing--the mature Joey Reynolds is the same guy both on and off air, and they like him.

That's great to hear Bob. I guess I should have made the trip to WBZT in West Palm Beach when he was there and I was living in the area. I think that in addition to being funny he is often insightful. I don't go along with the shock jock title only because I don't recall him saying something offensive. He knows where the line is and doesn't cross it unlike some others.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom