• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Farthest anyone has heard Wolf 98.1 chr top 40 music

M

Mid West Clubber

just wondering.. i stream them online sometimes, I like their customized mix of current hits for fairbanks, so I wonder how far away anyone has heard their signal.... Its the farthest north chr top 40 in the world,,, radiolocator looks like it has a good signal,, it has no other stations to interfere with it, but it has some huge mountain ranges, so I wonder how far anyone has heard it, either with normal reception, or tropo, or sporatic E,,, if that even happens that far north... ivve never been to alaska, but I watch ice road truckers and deadliest catch and I would love to visit, if not live there.. Ivve also seen Survivorman,,, my favorite show doing an alaska episode... I hear the shortwave is just crackling with activvity up there.

KWLF has I think 2.8KW ERP, a decent signal but not huge. But it reportedly gets out from what I've heard. Even bigger of a signal is KIAK/102.5, they have lots of listenership in the surrounding areas; their weather forecasts on the air include places like Delta Junction and Nenana. Huge signal, 92Kw according to Radio-Locator.

In one of the "craziest" Radio-DX feats of all time, an FM radio DX'er in Phoenix AZ happened to pick up KAYE 100.9 Wasilla*** five or six years ago. Not only is FM "double-hop" rare in its own right - something I've only experienced four times in 51 years of listening - but having such an event happen in the general direction of one of the magnetic Poles is rarer yet.

I consider this one of the most magnificent FM radio DX "catches" of all time.

***I've kept politics out if it, haha...

Interesting! Has anyone ever successfully DXed anything in Fairbanks from outside the greater Fairbanks area? I'm new to Fairbanks but to me it seems like it's simply too far away from the rest of the world, and we have a surprisingly full FM dial here anyway of local signals.

I wonder if from the top of the Alaska Range you could pick up most Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Kenai/Seward Peninsula stations? With pretty full dials in both Fairbanks and especially Anchorage, I imagine the dial would be pretty full. Anyone ever take a radio up there on a climb?

Interesting! Has anyone ever successfully DXed anything in Fairbanks from outside the greater Fairbanks area? I'm new to Fairbanks but to me it seems like it's simply too far away from the rest of the world, and we have a surprisingly full FM dial here anyway of local signals.

I wonder if from the top of the Alaska Range you could pick up most Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Kenai/Seward Peninsula stations? With pretty full dials in both Fairbanks and especially Anchorage, I imagine the dial would be pretty full. Anyone ever take a radio up there on a climb?

No FMs, but heard KFAR-660 in Cleveland, OH, in the early 60's.

To the OP, some geography-radio trivia: Tromsø, Norway is higher in latitude (69 degrees north) and they have a CHR FM station, Radio Tromsø. Just thought ya'd like to know. :)

Down here in the PNW, hearing anything from Alaska is rare, except maybe a couple of their ham radio guys, and KNLS, the religious SW station. The only AM broadcast station I've heard more than once has been KTKN.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom