• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLUV's playlist

oldmanradio

Leading Participant
Do you think KLUV is too slow to add more 80's music to its mix?

Why?

Or why not?

Tony
Tony Lyndell Williams

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=148867.0

According to the June PPM's, they've already dropped out of the top 10 P25-54.

So it depends on what their goals are. if it's to draw the biggest possible audience in the most desirable demo (25-54), then yes, they probably needed to add 80's music a while ago.

Problem there being that they're going to get all cannibal on themselves- if they add a lot of 80's rock they start overlapping with Jack, and if they add 80's AC they start competing with KVIL for the 40+ year old woman...

Which is what happens when you have lousy strategic planning and end up competing with your own company, instead of other stations and other groups.

oldmanradio said:
Do you think KLUV is too slow to add more 80's music to its mix?

Why?

Or why not?

Tony
Tony Lyndell Williams

They have been adding these:

Dancing In The Dark: Bruce Springsteen
Glory Days: Bruce Springsteen
Easy Lover: Phillip Bailey & Phil Collins
Don't Stop Believin: Journey
Jessie's Girl: Rick Springfield

I dont know why they cant have the variety of sister station WCBS. It would keep ME listening longer, instead of changing the channel when I hear another song that they have already played to death. There are plenty of great songs to choose from.

Tony,

Not only do I think KLUV should have done it long ago, KEOM should have as well. Both of them are too-little-too-late to be meaningful. I'm getting my 80s music fix from the guy KEOM stupidly tossed aside like garbage. You guys oughta listen too. The link is www.live365.com/stations/robertbass

80s?
there is alot of 60's and 70's music that kluv overlooks.i have noticed it for years playing the same ol songs over and over.it seems kluv has a top 500 playlist that they (the owners, advertisers, sponsers?) are dedicated too.i dont sit around and listen to the radio, but tommorrow morning maybe interesting.
the morning team from time to time might play something you would only hear on satellite radio.so hats off to the morning team.
i hate to hear about the djs that have left.
the new guy was playing "acdc and areosmith"!
who knows what going to happen.

scrtr84 said:
Tony,

Not only do I think KLUV should have done it long ago, KEOM should have as well. Both of them are too-little-too-late to be meaningful. I'm getting my 80s music fix from the guy KEOM stupidly tossed aside like garbage. You guys oughta listen too. The link is www.live365.com/stations/robertbass

KEOM promotes the station as playing the hits of "the 60s, 70s and 80s."

But why not stick to the 70's-only format? It is a niche that no other station fills. KLUV covers the 60s, 70s and 80s albeit with a restricted playlist.

Either that, or completely revamp the format -- allow the kids to play current music as well as oldies from the mid to late 90s. What do you think about that?

Years ago, I proposed a 90's format to Ken Jones on KXEZ 92.1 which was oldies at the time and now is classic country. Radiochik gave me the idea.

Ken never responded to my memo.

Tony
Tony Lyndell Williams

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom