• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best songs on today's country radio

vchimpanzee said:
Jay F said:
Miranda Lambert-White Liar is my favorite new country song.
I did hear a song I sort of liked and found out it was Miranda Lambert, which surprises me greatly.

This was probably the song that you heard.I'm under the impression that you like traditional country so I'm not surprised that you like it. It's very country sounding, especially her vocals. This is one that won't be crossing over to other formats.

I heard "I'll Just Hold On" by Blake Shelton last night on a countdown show. It's sort of okay but kind of noisy for my taste. It does at least sound country.

vchimpanzee said:
I heard "I'll Just Hold On" by Blake Shelton last night on a countdown show. It's sort of okay but kind of noisy for my taste. It does at least sound country.

For me it sounds like Paul Young's 1985 pop hit "Everytime You Go Away". I do like it though.

Jay F said:
vchimpanzee said:

For me it sounds like Paul Young's 1985 pop hit "Everytime You Go Away". I do like it though.
The Paul Young song is terrible. I heard it once or twice on Timeless Classics.

I never did care for the Paul Young song and I consider it one of the most burned out songs in music history. Yet I do like Blake's "I'll Just Hold On" even if it reminds me of it. They both use an instrument called the sitar.

Lady Antebellum's Need You Know is absolutely amazing, the best country song in years in my opinion.

Hands down the best song on country radio right now is "American Ride" by Toby Keith. Great lyrics, great message in the song. The music video is pretty cool too.

dustintv said:
Lady Antebellum's Need You Know is absolutely amazing, the best country song in years in my opinion.

I like all of Lady As songs so far. They have all had the same pattern for me. They slowly grow on me and then after maybe 10 spins it really hits me on how amazing the song is.

I would love for them to do a cover version of an early 80s Southern Rock song....Don't Misunderstand Me by the Rossington Collins Band. I think they would sound so awesome doing that song, it would be perfect for them.

I've been disappointed with the major Country hits this year, but there are a few good songs coming up the charts now, IMO:

- As previously mentioned, Miranda Lambert "White Liar"
- Jason Aldean "The Truth"
- George Strait "Twang"
- Easton Corbin "A Little More Country Than That" (really good voice & song, unfortunately getting no airtime on major Nashville FMs, only have heard it on smaller market stations in the area)

Mac Daddy said:
Hands down the best song on country radio right now is "American Ride" by Toby Keith. Great lyrics, great message in the song. The music video is pretty cool too.
I didn't get around to putting it in the title, but the thread should really be "Best real country songs on today's country radio". That song is one of the worst of the worst. Nearly every time I turn up and down the radio dial to see what's going on and I hear something bad (I mean REALLY bad) on a so-called country station, it turns out to be this one.

This is not an album you're likely to hear on country radio, but it's excellent: Mountain Soul II - the latest by Patty Loveless. Her beautiful pure voice and a very traditional - almost bluegrass - sound. "Half Over You," "Working on a Building" and "Big Chance" are super tracks. After hearing this one, I'll also be picking up the original "Mountain Soul" which Patty recorded several years ago. She's really a country music treasure.

Nick Summers

Only song I've heard on the radio by Patty Loveless is "I Try to Think About Elvis".

-crainbebo

The Easton Corbin song appears to be highly rated for us.

Our audience has more than doubled within the last few weeks..not sure what brought that on!

crainbebo said:
Only song I've heard on the radio by Patty Loveless is "I Try to Think About Elvis".

-crainbebo

"How Can I Help You to Say Goodbye", "Halfway Down", "Blame It On Your Heart", "I'm that kinda girl", etc etc all pretty big hits in the 90's for her.

I didn't get around to putting it in the title, but the thread should really be "Best real country songs on today's country radio". That song is one of the worst of the worst. Nearly every time I turn up and down the radio dial to see what's going on and I hear something bad (I mean REALLY bad) on a so-called country station, it turns out to be this one.
[/quote]

Jeez man, we get it. You don't like modern country music. If you hate it so much why don't you listen to AC instead? Oh wait!! You don't like modern AC stations either!! Do you just come to these boards to whine?

Witness the ratings for the CMA awards Wed. night. Highest ever. SOMEBODY must like today's country music. I think most of the stuff out these days is pretty good. Audiences evolve, music evolves.

Oldbones said:
Jeez man, we get it. You don't like modern country music. If you hate it so much why don't you listen to AC instead? Oh wait!! You don't like modern AC stations either!!
But if you listen to so-called country radio you are listening to AC. And actual AC radio is even worse.
Oldbones said:
Do you just come to these boards to whine?
It's the highlight of my week. If I didn't limit myself to one day a week here I guess I'd be here every day.
Oldbones said:
Witness the ratings for the CMA awards Wed. night. Highest ever. SOMEBODY must like today's country music. I think most of the stuff out these days is pretty good. Audiences evolve, music evolves.
I don't evolve.

And I spent the better part of the day yesterday in the car listening to music that's really country.

When a GOOD song comes on one of the bad stations I might stop on that station and listen. Sometimes I'm forced to listen to country because it's background music in businesses.

Hooray for Lady Antebellum and Need You Now making #1 best country song of the decade, at least since 2002 with the Dixie Chicks' Travelin Soldier song.

dustintv said:
Hooray for Lady Antebellum and Need You Now making #1 best country song of the decade, at least since 2002 with the Dixie Chicks' Travelin Soldier song.

Do you have a link or source for this?? I love this song but I want to see where you saw this!

Timmy said:
dustintv said:

Do you have a link or source for this?? I love this song but I want to see where you saw this!

Billboard has the song at #1.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom